Collaros signs 2 year deal

sweep the leg

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Toronto did not get Nichols?  

That's why I said basically. The net effect of this signing is Nichols and the 1st are gone.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The trade is a 1st rounder for Collaros and a Grey Cup.....   

We traded a 3rd rounder for that Grey Cup win. The 1st is to keep him for the next two seasons.

Edited by sweep the leg

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nichols is done. Bombers probably feel hes done physically. 

Not sure if he's done, but, I think the Bombers and their medical staff are likely a bit less optimistic about his post surgery throwing shoulder than Nichols and his agent are. I like Nichols. And he played well for the Bombers. Thanks for that. But, Collaros is a better QB right now. He proved it in the Grey Cup run. And peak Collaros was always better than peak Nichols. 

Edited by M.Silverback

2 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Not sure if he's done, but, I think the Bombers and their medical staff are likely a bit less optimistic his post surgery throwing shoulder than Nichols and his agent are. I like Nichols. And he played well for the Bombers. Thanks for that. But, Collaros is a better QB right now. He proved it in the Grey Cup run. And peak Collaros was always better than peak Nichols. 

When he's healthy...definitely. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays more than 9 games this year though. I'll be happy to eat crow in October if he manages to stay healthy but my head is overruling my heart on this prediction.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When he's healthy...definitely. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays more than 9 games this year though. I'll be happy to eat crow in October if he manages to stay healthy but my head is overruling my heart on this prediction.

I hear ya. Concussion history is scary. But, based on last season, every starting QB missed some time. Nichols injury history is extensive too, just to multiple body parts. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Collaros does too, just praying it's not due to a significant concussion. 

Nichols was $455K last year and that was overpaid. Collaros is $490K. That's below Reilly, BLM and Harris. Is Collaros, especially considering his injury history, the 4th best QB in the league?

Only $50K in playtime bonuses considering the concussion issues is dumb IMO.

I think we overpaid, but I'd rather have Collaros than Nichols.

Not sure if Farhan is accurate...but even so 490k isn't bad at all when you look at what other teams are paying..CGY/BC/Edm as well as what Fartado is getting in Sask...one season doesn't an all-start make...

Minimal playtime bonuses but I bet you Collaros surrendered a big up front bonus that would go up against the cap, for more guaranteed cash total...so in case he does go down early for a while (guaranteed that was discussed) he won't have a big bonus up against our cap...either way he is gonna get paid, and the team is safely covered....to me thats a good deal

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Argo O line was crap last season. really bad. Bethel Thompson took a bad beating.

Not a good place for Zach at all.

do not remember how Ottawa O line was.

Toronto's not a good place for Nichols either. He needs to be able to get comfortable behind a great O line to be successful.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not sure if Farhan is accurate...but even so 490k isn't bad at all when you look at what other teams are paying..CGY/BC/Edm as well as what Fartado is getting in Sask...one season doesn't an all-start make...

Minimal playtime bonuses but I bet you Collaros surrendered a big up front bonus that would go up against the cap, for more guaranteed cash total...so in case he does go down early for a while (guaranteed that was discussed) he won't have a big bonus up against our cap...either way he is gonna get paid, and the team is safely covered....to me thats a good deal

3 teams, now 4, have paid big for their QB's. The rest are below Collaros' money despite the fact that Collaros only played 4 games last year. Compare Collaros' contract to Masoli's who played 6 games last year, not to the top 3 QB's in the league.

either way you slice it..Nichols or Collaros was gonna get 450 to 500k...in this case it is 490k...and if 200-225k isn't up front...which I highly doubt it is...this is a very good deal...

And who cares about Masoli...he won't be ready for start of season, and is hardly an established guy...so of course he won't be getting on the north of 400k this year

3 teams are in excess of 600k....Winnipeg and Sask are hovering around 500k...Ottawa and T.O will also be too...if not more now seeing as the pool of potential legit starters just shrank...And if Nichols is truly not ready for TC...Arbuckle is gonna get paid

Injry history aside I'd much rather pay a proven guy (Collaros) what we are than an unproven guy (Arbuckle/Fajardo) the same amount...especially whhen I bet Collaros will have a smaller upfront cap hit in regards to a bonus than either of those 2 will

Nichols , in the end, will always be a successful Bomber QB. He took a 1-4 team in 2016 and propelled us to where we are today, contenders and now champions. He saved everyones jobs and it's a shame he had to go, but, it's the right football move. Good for Walters and whoever else was in on this decision to choose Zach over Matt. Couldn't have been easy.

Thank you Matt.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Just going to go back and delete the posts where I thought he wouldn't play and if he did, he would just get injured. Then, I'll go and erase all the posts where I said he wouldn't re-sign. 

I really wasn't expecting to have to do a lot of work today. This is going to seriously impact my forum surfing. 

You might want to archive those comments for a giant ITODASO later on....

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols was $455K last year and that was overpaid. Collaros is $490K. That's below Reilly, BLM and Harris. Is Collaros, especially considering his injury history, the 4th best QB in the league?

Only $50K in playtime bonuses considering the concussion issues is dumb IMO.

I think we overpaid, but I'd rather have Collaros than Nichols.

Arbuckle is asking for 450K, he likely gets more. Fajardo is around 450K IIRC. This is the standard market rate for a good but not great starting QB. 

Not to mention that Collaros is a big upgrade over Nichols. 

Loads of money but the intend it to be a success.  if it is, its a great deal.  If it isnt, it didnt really matter.

Great to see this given everyone saying he would never sign here.  If he stays healthy, he's tremendous.  He was so good here, best QB we have had in ages.

Maybe Nichols can stay on as Buck's understudy!