Game 50 @ Carolina

BomberBall

I dont like Maurice's comments after the game where he basically said he had no issue with the way the team played.  He might just be shielding the players but I dont know....

It seems Maurice's system is designed to create low event games.  When he came here, that might have had merit.  Now we have a team loaded with skilled forwards (and at least a couple of D that are able to move the puck up).  One could argue the system is wrong for these players.  Thats on the coach.

If something doesnt change on the ice, they'll have to do something...its the nature of the beast.  I do wonder if Chevy accepts some blame for the poor D and thus, gives Maurice a pass or if he pulls the trigger.

As for when, sometimes you *have* to fire the coach during the season either because you think you still have a shot (clearly what Vegas thought) or because the team has tuned him out and you have to do it.  If Chevy thinks he gains anything by firing Maurice sooner than later, so be it (perhaps a coach he likes is available, I recall when Noel was fired, Lawless reported part of what made it happen when it did was Chevy wanted Maurice).  But it would seem to make more sense in the off-season.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What exactly would that accomplish right now? A coaching change wouldn't solve the injuries. A coaching change wouldn't solve the craptastic blue line. A coaching change wouldn't solve the Byfuglien fiasco.

I’m aware of the issues you mention, but to not acknowledge that Maurice is a huge part of the problem is just really short sighted.  I actually like Maurice, but his time is up...  Let him go and bring in Gallant.  I bet there would be an immediate difference in how the team plays.

Did you hear his post game comments?  He’s lost.

There's a difference between firing a coach for a team underachieving despite its roster (see Laviollette or Gallant) and firing a coach because the team is devoid of talent and depth at key positions (see Babcock). As for an immediate difference, that's a possibility, much as we saw with the Leafs when Keefe took over coaching duties. But they've since come back down to earth and are now on the outside looking in. A temporary quick fix doesn't remedy things like depth issues or injuries.

No doubt Maurice and his staff have to wear this ineptitude and maybe Gallant is the man to take the helm. However, I still think this season is a write-off based on other, far more glaring problems with this team.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

There's a difference between firing a coach for a team underachieving despite its roster (see Laviollette or Gallant) and firing a coach because the team is devoid of talent and depth at key positions (see Babcock). As for an immediate difference, that's a possibility, much as we saw with the Leafs when Keefe took over coaching duties. But they've since come back down to earth and are now on the outside looking in. A temporary quick fix doesn't remedy things like depth issues or injuries.

No doubt Maurice and his staff have to wear this ineptitude and maybe Gallant is the man to take the helm. However, I still think this season is a write-off based on other, far more glaring problems with this team.

When the team was winning there were smart people looking at stats and saying it was Helle and it wasnt sustainable.  Chickens have come home to roost.  But Maurice's answer seems to be if the forwards can play better D they can win.  This is a fast and talented team.  Ive never been super pro or con on Maurice.  But....it does seem like its time for a change.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Maurice's answer seems to be if the forwards can play better D they can win. This is a fast and talented team.

He isn't wrong. Remember 2015? The blue line was alright but the forwards bought into playing from the defensive zone out, with a focus on sound checking, closing lanes, and collapsing toward the net to minimize high danger opportunities. This season is not dissimilar apart from a way better netminder and a more gifted top 6. But to a man, they are playing **** poor defensive hockey, giving up way too many shots and more high danger chances against than any other team in the league. Watching them defend at times looks like a horrendous free for all. Whatever system is in place, it's not being implemented well or consistently.

The Jets are fast - when they skate. But when they don't, which seems to happen often this season, all that talent is meaningless. That's exacerbated by the porous blue line and the injuries.

If Maurice is the fall guy, so be it. But I can't see his replacement having much more success for the balance of the 2019-20 season*. I maintain we're already looking at next season territory with this team.

* I'd love to be proven wrong, to be sure.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He isn't wrong. Remember 2015? The blue line was alright but the forwards bought into playing from the defensive zone out, with a focus on sound checking, closing lanes, and collapsing toward the net to minimize high danger opportunities. This season is not dissimilar apart from a way better netminder and a more gifted top 6. But to a man, they are playing **** poor defensive hockey, giving up way too many shots and more high danger chances against than any other team in the league. Watching them defend at times looks like a horrendous free for all. Whatever system is in place, it's not being implemented well or consistently.

The Jets are fast - when they skate. But when they don't, which seems to happen often this season, all that talent is meaningless. That's exacerbated by the porous blue line and the injuries.

If Maurice is the fall guy, so be it. But I can't see his replacement having much more success for the balance of the 2019-20 season*. I maintain we're already looking at next season territory with this team.

* I'd love to be proven wrong, to be sure.

So is the issue that the team is tuning Maurice out?  Or that they bought in in 2015 because they believed that was the way and now, perhaps, are not thrilled with skilled players trying to play a more team D style?  

If Maurice does not get fired, it wouldnt surprise me.  But if Chevy fired him tomorrow (if the Jets lose tonight), it would also not surprise me. I think some of the other issues, such as player usage...I dont know, is Maurice the answer?  Doesnt seem like it.

I don’t know if this season is salvageable, it sure doesn’t seem like it, but if they don’t think Maurice is the right coach, moving forward (and I realize that’s a big if), why not make the move now?  There’s a very good coach available.  The team needs a change in direction... Maybe it would be enough to push them back into the playoff conversation.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

I don’t know if this season is salvageable, it sure doesn’t seem like it, but if they don’t think Maurice is the right coach, moving forward (and I realize that’s a big if), why not make the move now?  There’s a very good coach available.  The team needs a change in direction... Maybe it would be enough to push them back into the playoff conversation.

Gallant?  Yeah, that certainly intrigues me.