Game 49 @ Chicago

iHeart

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's the talent on defense... things would be much different if we had 2 extra regular NHL d-man instead of playing waiver wire and AHL fodder players.......

This. I'm not saying that Maurice is FOR SURE doing a good job, but I personally believe that it can't be judged properly with the D corps in as much of a shambles as it is right now. The depth, overall, is in rough shape right now. We need to re-stock the cupboards...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

This. I'm not saying that Maurice is FOR SURE doing a good job, but I personally believe that it can't be judged properly with the D corps in as much of a shambles as it is right now. The depth, overall, is in rough shape right now. We need to re-stock the cupboards...

Were we much better last year with Trouba, Buff & Myers?

Realistically if Maurice gets fired, the assistants should go too.  Let a new HC bring in his own people.  I do think given the issues this year, they should try to employ a higher-octane system.  

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Realistically if Maurice gets fired, the assistants should go too.  Let a new HC bring in his own people.  I do think given the issues this year, they should try to employ a higher-octane system.  

Part of the problem is, "if not Maurice, then who?" 'Cause honestly I don't think there's anyone out there better right now.......

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not good enough for what...? I mean, they finished second in the league in 2018 and second in the division last season.

I think it was obvious they werent going very deep in the playoffs.  Maybe Im applying hindsight but Im fairly certain that was the general consensus last year, that they werent as good as we hoped.

I agree the talent was better for sure.  And Chevy has done them no favours this year, though Buff screwed them.  But, the team over-all isnt that good.  Its not just the D.  

The defense last year was much better then this year....   if only we could have a time machine and could of sent Buff off at the trade deadline last year.....    need some assets to trade for quality D or at least could of used the cap space to buy one. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The defense last year was much better then this year....   if only we could have a time machine and could of sent Buff off at the trade deadline last year.....    need some assets to trade for quality D or at least could of used the cap space to buy one. 

Heresy about Buff! You can't trade guys at the deadline you know won't be back next year(like i said about Myers, Tanev) because we were a contender man!  Etch our names on da cup! 🤣

Yes our D was better last year but we have not improved our winning percentage at all. .We were a 500 hockey team after Xmas and a .500 hockey team now.

It's more then the D,

22 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If the Jets end up missing the playoffs this year and knowing that players, coaches and injuries will share the blame, how much can be distributed to Chevy?

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If the Jets end up missing the playoffs this year and knowing that players, coaches and injuries will share the blame, how much can be distributed to Chevy?

I suspect Chevy avoids much blame.  He's still the architect of a pretty talented team.  If anything, sure, we're in an in-between period in terms of D with some future help coming but he should have been able to swing something better.  Then again, Buff playing maybe changes a lot.

He's not aggressive but we dont know how much he maybe tries behind the scenes to do deals that dont work.  He does decently when he swings deals.   By all accounts, Maurice was his choice so maybe he gets one more.  

The combination of injuries and the defence from last year being almost dismantled ( whoever you want to blame that upon) and now a new coach is going to change any of that? Seriously? Oh and PS....as great as #37 has been he has been equally weak....you get one or the other with him it seems.

On 2020-01-21 at 12:03 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect Chevy avoids much blame.  He's still the architect of a pretty talented team.  If anything, sure, we're in an in-between period in terms of D with some future help coming but he should have been able to swing something better.  Then again, Buff playing maybe changes a lot.

He's not aggressive but we dont know how much he maybe tries behind the scenes to do deals that dont work.  He does decently when he swings deals.   By all accounts, Maurice was his choice so maybe he gets one more.  

Yup fair enough but I do think he needs to own some of the responsibility for the team being in extreme danger of not making the playoffs this year. For example our current crop of D-men.  I for one don't think our Head Coach is the primary reason for our current predicament. However I do recognize that sometimes a coaching change can be the jolt that is needed whether coaching is the primary problem or not. 

38 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup fair enough but I do think he needs to own some of the responsibility for the team being in extreme danger of not making the playoffs this year. For example our current crop of D-men.  I for one don't think our Head Coach is the primary reason for our current predicament. However I do recognize that sometimes a coaching change can be the jolt that is needed whether coaching is the primary problem or not. 

I question our assistants too.  The D has under-performed most years and some guys had some big regressions.  If we fire Maurice, everyone must go.  Start from scratch.