2019/2020 Mid-season review

Time to post your grades for everyone or a select few.

Beaulieu F, Bitteto F, Lowry D

PaMa C cause you can only work with bad so much

GM definitely gets an F for letting valuable UFA's go without getting something in return and the bad Hayes trade. We were not that good.

Helle was A might i might drop him to B as of late. Broissoit C

Laine B better in every area but goals

4th line would get an F if we had one.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I mean, it's hard to review this team. They confound me on a nightly basis. But at the same time where they are in the standings is exactly where they should be, wildcard or fighting for a wildcard. The past week or so sums them up, lose back to back games against one of the best in the league but are competitive, walk into a really good team's barn and win convincingly and then come home and watch the D and goalie collapse in an embarrassing loss to an equivalently talented team. Been a variation of this all season really. Frustrating but not really a surprise considering the current state of the Defense and Maurice has never really been that good at coaching the D to begin with.

I guess for grades I'll do by current lines and pairings:

CSL   A   Doing what they're supposed to on a nightly basis. 

EWR  B+  Could finish more but I like their speed and it's fun watching Roslovic and Ehlers run around the O zone.

CLP (when healthly) B-  solid defensive play but could do more offensively, especially Lowry. They really miss Copp right now.

Whoever's on the 4th Line D-  Would have given this an F but injuries have forced AHL level guys to play and at the very least they work their butts off. Adding Shore was a very good move. 

Mo/Pool Man  C  Expect more from the top pair. Morrissey has been average a lot of nights and Poolman has been good but should probably be on the second pair. If Buff was here he would be. 

Sbisa/Pionk  C+  Pionk has been a pleasant surprise as has Sbisa. Ideally Pionk would continue his role and Sbisa would hold down the 3rd pair. But with the state of the D in general I can't really grade higher than a C+ in general. 

Bitetto/Beaulieu  F   At least Bitetto hits and is great in the locker room? Beaulieu has looked awful the past few weeks. 

Dahlstrom/Niku/   N/A   Need to see them play more. And I guess a C- for Kulikov.

Hellebucyk   A   Been a bit shaky the past week but without him we're screwed back in October.

Brossoit   B  Played fine when he's needed. No complaints.  

Coaches   D-   Poor penalty kill and defensive zone play hasn't really been addressed and it's costing them games.

GM  C-  decent picks on the waiver wire but a proper move may be needed to address the defensive deficiencies. Although the Buff situation does handcuff him. Not really much Chevy can do. Time will tell.

Overall   C   Never know what team we'll see on a nightly basis but they seem capable of beating the best team in the league. Or losing to the worst team in the league. My expectations are low at this point so if they make the playoffs I'll be happy.

On 2020-01-04 at 12:58 PM, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Judging by today's lineup I may have to downgrade the coach's grade to an F. You have a healthy Niku and a very shaky D and you keep Niku in the press box? I really don't get it. A shakeup on the backend is needed. Can't get much worse than it has been lately.

Even if we put Niku on the fourth line and spot him on our powerplay it would be an upgrade...but no Maurice is gonna take his time inserting Niku... we already have a vaunted 4th line and a 6d that leave other teams drooling ,what's the hurry?

Id give everyone a C probably minus Helle who would get an A, Laine with an A.. Scheif with a C+ cuz faceoffs and D do matter also Mark. Connor with a C + cuz see Scheifele. 

Maurice? I dont know cuz the reality is the teams D looked very similar last season with 3 big time RHD plus 3 legit NHL LHD. So.. With that plus PK plus just lack of showing up at times or only playing 30 minutes.. F. 

Without Helle, with the 1st overall pick the Winnipeg Jets select...

Jets are like a Lapo O.. Get a lead hopefully then sit back... And watch it go away cuz our D coaches suck on the Jets... But lots of square pegs in round holes. 

Laine Ehlers Connor Scheif... Speed n skill, dont seem to be playing to the teams strengths. 

Edited by Goalie

All of these baaaad marks ..equal fail.....This club has gone from contender to pretender in a matter of two years....The deals that were made (see Trouba deal) confound me and a lot of others in the league and wonder what the hell is going on.....The team looks like a horse 'out of the running' right now...If it doesn't change I think we might be in for a coaching change and the gm, after the bogus deals of late, might also get the can tied to his arse...I said at the begging of the year that the D was going to be a big problem...I didn't expect the goal tending (of late) to start stinking out the joint as well....

My grading of the team in general is D minus....and hope that we can at least pull off a C so we can make the postseason ...Don't see any easy part of the schedule for the rest of the season....we're in tough

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

A C+ for Scheifele and an F for Maurice... Super objective grades.

And then some lame parallel to a football coach. Epic analysis.

You are a piece of honest ****. Who are u to question someones opinion. Seriously, how are u constantly allowed to be a dipshit. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

You are a piece of honest ****. Who are u to question someones opinion. Seriously, how are u constantly allowed to be a dipshit. 

Take a breath and relax. man. But hey, I'd rather be a piece of honest **** than a self-proclaimed know-it-all piece of ****.

Your opinions on hockey are mostly garbage. Sorry if the truth hurts.