Star Wars spoiler thread

bigg jay

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

According to the Poe actor, he wanted Poe & Finn to fall in love and Disney wasn’t going to do it.  

The lesbian kiss is so quick in the midst of celebration it’s pretty sucky they have to cut it.  Backwards nations I guess. 

Just saw the movie. Loved it. It is nowhere near a cinema masterpiece, but for Starwars Fans and nerds- it hit all the right beats and was a major success with closing out the skywalker saga. 

Anyone else see the Razor Crest ship in the huge ship line up? NIce tip of the hat to Mando.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Just saw the movie. Loved it. It is nowhere near a cinema masterpiece, but for Starwars Fans and nerds- it hit all the right beats and was a major success with closing out the skywalker saga. 

Anyone else see the Razor Crest ship in the huge ship line up? NIce tip of the hat to Mando.

But was it not closed at end of ep 6?

I finally got a chance to see the movie and now scrolling through this thread. I won’t make any comments, but just something that went through my mind at the end. I was a kid when A New Hope came out, so I was part of the generation that grew up with it from the start. Back then I remember Lucas talking about how he had nine movies planned. Then, after ROTJ when Lucas said he was done with it, I always thought “OK, we got three movies out of it”, and didn’t think there would be anymore. 

Then in the late 90's he announced the prequel trilogy, and after those it seemed like that was it. And now we finally got nine movies. The whole series has its ups and downs, good and bad, would have been nice if it had been planned from start to finish to make it more coherent. But I sat there during the closing credits and thought “wow – I never thought I would actually see nine Star Wars movies". It took 42 years to get there. Regardless of the quality of the whole series, I’m so glad that I got to see the end one way or the other.

Gotta say i'm surprised by the love this movie is getting on this thread.  I walked out disappointed in the movie and the trilogy in general.  Biggest and the most unforgivable mistake was Disney not planning out the trilogy as whole.  Instead they had planned on different directors and writers for each movie (remember J.J wasn't even going to be involved in RoS, he was supposed to be done after TFA) who would each have different views on what to do.  Hence TFA vs TLJ vs RoS.  If Marvel could plan out the path over 20+ movies why couldn't Disney do that for just 3 movies?  Should Kevin Feige have run Star Wars along with Marvel?  Kinda wish he had but he is only one guy.  Say what you will about Lucas and his two trilogies but at least there was one overall voice guiding each one to its conclusion.  

Now I will get this out of the way, I liked TLJ.  It certainly has flaws that bug me but I like what it tried to do.  Those that hate TLJ can now stop reading and dismiss me as a dummy lol.  As for RoS I enjoyed some aspects of it.  Rey and Kylo were awesome in general.  Ridley and Driver are the best part of this movie and really the trilogy in general.  They went to more places so this universe felt a bit bigger finally.  The action pieces were top notch and the visuals were great.  The Emperor's intro was really creepy and excellent.  And Ian McDiarmid was great as always.  Nice that Poe got a little bit of a backstory.  I guess being Palps granddaughter does explain some of the darkness in Rey.  And what they could do with Leia was good, probably the best they could manage in circumstances out of their control.  Chewy's reaction to Leia's death was very poignant. 

Alright the stuff that annoyed me or confused me.  The big final Portals scene err I mean when the Alliance fleet arrived was pretty hokey to be honest.  And for all those ships there really wasn't much of a space battle shown.  The opening of RotS was wayyyyy better.  And apparently General Leia and Master Luke can't recruit worth a damn but Lando can somehow cruise the entire galaxy in the span of about a day and the galaxy comes flocking to his banner?  I can overlook how easily the fleet was able to transit to Exegol when Rey and Kylo needed the wayfinder to get there but it wasn't easy.  Palps was able to assemble an entire fleet of Mini Death Star Destroyers and crew them all essentially out of thin air without being noticed?  And bringing back the Emperor himself?  Seems lazy especially since this doesn't appear to have been the plan.  Colin Trevorrow said J.J came up with using Palps after Trevorrow was let go.  So it doesn't appear to have been the plan from the start, just something J.J added on.  Again Disney really should have laid out the overall trilogy arc from the getgo.  The whole "Chewy is dead! Oh wait he's fine he was in the other transport" bit was a piss off.  And so much for the Knights of Ren.  Didn't even back their boy at the end.  At the end of TLJ it seemed like the force was open to all (the kid and broom, Rey when she was a nobody) and the possibilities seemed endless.  Then RoS is like "Nope! Only Skywalkers and Palpatines need apply."  So limiting.

The pace was just go go go when they really should have slowed down a couple times to let some of the big moments sink in.  Felt like a game of tag for much of the movie.  I get that this really should have been two movies.  They could have gone three hours ala Endgame but I guess two giant Disney movies in one year was asking too much.  With all the action and pace it also left the supporting cast in the dust.  Finn was reduced to yelling "Rey!" a lot and wanting to tell Rey something but he never did.  He made a new friend but they didn't really explore what could have been a good arc for Finn in the trilogy.  Finn could have made it his side mission to try and rescue and rehab First Order troops who were all captured and brainwashed as kids to fight for them, like Finn was.  They touched on it a little but never dove into it.  To be fair that's on both RJ and J.J.  I guess Finn got to blow up the Final Order General, that's something I guess.  I really hope the Rose backlash from TLJ isn't why she was barely in RoS.  Another solid supporting character left in the dust.  I mean, did she even get more than two lines?  

Anyways I'll stop now.  Like I said I'm disappointed but it's Star Wars so no matter what flaws I think it has I can still enjoy it.  If I can enjoy the Phantom Menace I can certainly enjoy RoS.  I guess I'm greedy in that I wanted more.  Oh well the Mandalorian is amazing and the new season of Clone Wars comes out in February.  

Well I think Disney did have a basic plan.  Their mistake, which became pretty evident pretty quickly, was the idea that LucasFilm would become a place for artsy directors to come in and be super creative and imaginative.  They had multiple issues with directors.  I have to blame Kennedy because its one thing to do that for one off films but for the trilogy?  Either hire one guy (JJ) or be more insistant that each director had to work with the over all story.  I think TLJ was pretty obvious from the story stage, that it was all wrong for the middle film of a trilogy and in how it used the original stars.

They probably couldnt get JJ if they wanted him to do all three.  I hated TLJ though I can appreciate some aspects but I think it was generally a bad middle film.  It didnt leave much for the third.  

I saw Terrio saying they had early discussions about splitting Skywalker into two parts, which likely would have made it much better.  Too bad LucasFilm wasnt willing to break with tradition and do that.  It begs for a directors cut with more of the back story included and more time to breath.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They probably couldnt get JJ if they wanted him todo all three.  I hated TLJ though I can appreciate some aspects but I think it was generally a bad middle film.  It didnt leave much for the third.  

I saw Terrio saying they had early discussions about splitting Skywalker into two parts, which likely would have made it much better.  Too bad LucasFilm wasnt willing to break with tradition and do that.  It begs for a directors cut with more of the back story included and more time to breath.

They could have got JJ for all three. SW7 & SW9 are the last 2 films he's directed.

Maybe if the fans ***** enough we can get split 9 into 9 and 10 and add a ship load of new Rose scenes :D

One thing that I guess that they wanted and got was killing off the original 3 main characters in each film. Obviously Kennedy was fine with killing off Han in SW7 & Luke in SW8 so why not Leia in SW9.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They could have got JJ for all three. SW7 & SW9 are the last 2 films he's directed.

Maybe if the fans ***** enough we can get split 9 into 9 and 10 and add a ship load of new Rose scenes :D

One thing that I guess that they wanted and got was killing off the original 3 main characters in each film. Obviously Kennedy was fine with killing off Han in SW7 & Luke in SW8 so why not Leia in SW9.

Its funny because Ford has said he was fine with not being killed off this time.  I figured it would happen and someone probably had to die in the first installment to raise the stakes.  But everyone wanted Luke to live.  Trevorrow apparently was really upset at Luke dying in TLJ and wanted to bring him back.  

If I was Kennedy I'd have likely called an audible and had Leia die in 8, if you really need to kill someone, and keep Luke.

On 2019-12-23 at 6:19 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Right, he sat on existing object. He did not move it there or pick it up.

Jedi get powerful with every movie. Jumping levels in 4-6, flying out of cars, in 1-3, physical-force transferring in 7-9.

But he was able to physically touch it.  What's the difference between sitting on a physical object, or grabbing something physical out of the air?  They're both touching the objects.

The physical force transfer is not something any force user can learn.  It is because the two of them share a special bond.  They are two halves of the same coin.  They are a dyad, which is why they can do what they can do.

On 2020-01-03 at 8:31 AM, Logan007 said:

But he was able to physically touch it.  What's the difference between sitting on a physical object, or grabbing something physical out of the air?  They're both touching the objects.

The physical force transfer is not something any force user can learn.  It is because the two of them share a special bond.  They are two halves of the same coin.  They are a dyad, which is why they can do what they can do.

They didn’t say why but an easy explanation is they are both of the force. Which to me is a better explanation that Palps knocked up a hand maiden or something.   But even if he did rey is a let if him and do are the Skywalkers.   

It would help explain the bond between luke and Leia too when she had no training but was able to communicate with Iuke in Empire (or her to him). 

It’s kinda an example of the dark side seeming stronger.  If the force transference and force bond thing is a dark side power and the Skywalkers have it through their relationship to Palps.