Star Wars spoiler thread

bigg jay

Well.....JJ did it.  He pulled it off.  

All the reviews are basically correct though.  But main stream critics often don’t get the source material.  The movie speeds through a lot, doesn’t slow down to breath, has a lot of plot holes and contrivances.  But...overall it works.  

And it works because it had to fix TLJ.  A few times I turned to my buddy and said “oh that’s an F you Rian Johnson!”   

A lot of the spoilers were true but worked better on screen than on paper.  I’m usually critical of silly plot holes and JJ’s Star Trek has a ton of them.  But in this film they were more minor to move the story along 

Yes Rey is Palps grand daughter.   Yes Snoke was a clone Palps created.   They didn’t explain how Palps was alive other then having him repeat the exact line from ROTS about the dark side being a pathway to unnatural things.  Which has the effect of adding depth to that scene between Palps and Anakin. I think it confirms Palps was lying to Anakin when he said he didn’t know the secret of cheating death.  

As for Anakin.  Well damn it.  There is a scene where rey is defeated and calls upon the Jedi to be with her and we hear their voices.  They got the actors back for it.  Ewen. Hayden. Sam Jackson. Etc. I had read the scene was originally conceived as the ghosts appearing.  The voice scene was awesome but I don’t know how you don’t have Anakin appear. 

There was a way to do it.  After kylo visits Palps, he knows his previous  visions of vader speaking  to him were just Palps pretending to be vader.  Kylo goes back to the vader mask in his quarters and touches it.   That’s when I’d have had Anakin appear to tell Kylo he now knows the truth of the dark side and how it’s a failed path and that his destiny lays elsewhere (foreshadowing Ben giving his life for Rey).  A small scene but it would have worked.  At the very least Anakin and Ben should have appeared with Luke & Leia at the end. 

Yes Han Solo appears to Ben.  He isn’t glowing.  He’s not a ghost. They never explain it.  I think their implication is it’s all in ben’s head.  And that’s a fine explanation.  It could be Leia made it happen too.  And Harrison was terrific. 

they struggled with Carrie’s death.  And took her out part way through in a way that would have been more emotional had she been able to film it.  But it’s a critical moment (calling to Ben to set up his redemption). 

fight scenes are great.  Good saber battled and force powers.  

Palps was awesome of course.  Although I sort of wonder why he’s dead now.  He wasn’t dead before. What’s the difference.    

Lando really added to the film.  Small role but added that fun of the OT.  

rey and Ben kissed.  I would not have made that choice.  Nope. Not at all. Creepy and gross.  

This was essentially JJ’s version of 8 & 9 rolled into one.  I wonder how much was cut.  

It really makes you wish JJ had done all three.  The glee he likely felt in showing off Palps powers makes me wonder what he’d have done with Luke in 8. I bet it would have been awesome.   

this was a salvage project.  No doubt.  But it was as good as good be expected.  Meaning, it wasn’t perfect.  Had issues.  But with the albatross of TLJ, I thought it was really quite satisfying.  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Overall it was good. Not great. A few stretches of very good. 

I was completely surprised by Rey being a Palpatine. I feel so dense that I didn't see it coming. But, it was totally the right move. Mirrored Luke with Vader. I feel very happy with this outcome to her heritage. 

Palps was meh. The whole idea of a secret fleet was done in some of the books and is a good one but they never address how they would populate the millions of soldiers and crew it would take to actually staff it. Also, the ship yards.

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well.....JJ did it.  He pulled it off.  

All the reviews are basically correct though.  But main stream critics often don’t get the source material.  The movie speeds through a lot, doesn’t slow down to breath, has a lot of plot holes and contrivances.  But...overall it works.  

Lots of holes but it's a big story. Lots of stuff that the books can sort out. 

And it works because it had to fix TLJ.  A few times I turned to my buddy and said “oh that’s an F you Rian Johnson!”   

Yeah, JJ did his own thing. Kind of like VIII didn't happen in some ways. 

A lot of the spoilers were true but worked better on screen than on paper.  I’m usually critical of silly plot holes and JJ’s Star Trek has a ton of them.  But in this film they were more minor to move the story along 

Yes Rey is Palps grand daughter.   Yes Snoke was a clone Palps created.   They didn’t explain how Palps was alive other then having him repeat the exact line from ROTS about the dark side being a pathway to unnatural things.  Which has the effect of adding depth to that scene between Palps and Anakin. I think it confirms Palps was lying to Anakin when he said he didn’t know the secret of cheating death.  

My favourite surpise was Rey. I didn't see it coming. Totally should have though. I'm glad it wasn't spoiled for me. 

As for Anakin.  Well damn it.  There is a scene where rey is defeated and calls upon the Jedi to be with her and we hear their voices.  They got the actors back for it.  Ewen. Hayden. Sam Jackson. Etc. I had read the scene was originally conceived as the ghosts appearing.  The voice scene was awesome but I don’t know how you don’t have Anakin appear. 

That was kind of cheesy but I'll let it go. 

There was a way to do it.  After kylo visits Palps, he knows his previous  visions of vader speaking  to him were just Palps pretending to be vader.  Kylo goes back to the vader mask in his quarters and touches it.   That’s when I’d have had Anakin appear to tell Kylo he now knows the truth of the dark side and how it’s a failed path and that his destiny lays elsewhere (foreshadowing Ben giving his life for Rey).  A small scene but it would have worked.  At the very least Anakin and Ben should have appeared with Luke & Leia at the end. 

Ren's turn was weird. Almost anti-climatic. I need to go back and watch it again. It makes sense, obviously, but I don't really understand why Palps can never see it coming. 

Yes Han Solo appears to Ben.  He isn’t glowing.  He’s not a ghost. They never explain it.  I think their implication is it’s all in ben’s head.  And that’s a fine explanation.  It could be Leia made it happen too.  And Harrison was terrific. 

They said he was a vision from his mind. So, not real, not a jedi, just a brief bit of Ren insanity. 

they struggled with Carrie’s death.  And took her out part way through in a way that would have been more emotional had she been able to film it.  But it’s a critical moment (calling to Ben to set up his redemption). 

Yeah, Leia's role was really awkward. I don't think they handled it that well but she needed to play a role in the film. 

fight scenes are great.  Good saber battled and force powers. 

Fight scenes were awesome. I want to watch them again. 

Palps was awesome of course.  Although I sort of wonder why he’s dead now.  He wasn’t dead before. What’s the difference.    

I think he spirit was erased. 

I was disappointed in Palps. I thought he could have been more. They did make him super creepy, which was cool. 

Lando really added to the film.  Small role but added that fun of the OT.  

rey and Ben kissed.  I would not have made that choice.  Nope. Not at all. Creepy and gross.  

But, why not? They've been connected for so long. They weren't brother and sister and there was definitely sexual tension between them. 

This was essentially JJ’s version of 8 & 9 rolled into one.  I wonder how much was cut.  

Director's cut! 

It really makes you wish JJ had done all three.  The glee he likely felt in showing off Palps powers makes me wonder what he’d have done with Luke in 8. I bet it would have been awesome.   

this was a salvage project.  No doubt.  But it was as good as good be expected.  Meaning, it wasn’t perfect.  Had issues.  But with the albatross of TLJ, I thought it was really quite satisfying.  

Hux! Weird but funny. I liked how they dealt with him considering he was such a weak character. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Overall it was good. Not great. A few stretches of very good. 

I was completely surprised by Rey being a Palpatine. I feel so dense that I didn't see it coming. But, it was totally the right move. Mirrored Luke with Vader. I feel very happy with this outcome to her heritage. 

Palps was meh. The whole idea of a secret fleet was done in some of the books and is a good one but they never address how they would populate the millions of soldiers and crew it would take to actually staff it. Also, the ship yards.

I had read Spoilers about her being a Palps so I didn’t even consider how cool a surprise it would be.  

imagine how much better it would be if they had laid the groundwork for this from the beginning.  A scene in TFA’s where Snoke is speaking to a mysterious person he kneels before. Something like that.  And in TLJ Luke referencing his search for the sith planet and a sense that this evil still existed.  

on one hand it was cheesy in that Palps showed up and executed his plan and then lost. Too quick.  If we knew of his plan all along, of Ben and Rey being a diad (or however it’s spelled) to rejuvenate himself.   Then we see what Palps plan would be all along.  

bens redemption was very quick also. That’s why I wish there more to it.  Him visiting Palps basically tells him that his turn was all BS.  Because he has “Vader” in his head and Snoke and Palps admits it was him.  TFA showed us that Ben had doubts that he felt a pull to the light.  Which TLJ really did nothing with.  So Ben should have left Palps feeling manipulated.  He immediately goes back to the vader helmet. It’s like he’s contemplating everything and how it was all BS.  Perfect timing for Anakin to appear.  Could have said something like Bens mind was so clouded with the dark side Anakin was never able to appear before. But now Ben knows the truth.  Have Ben deny it but Anakin tells him he knows it’s true.  Says his path was wrong, it was all lies.  Then Ben leaves and we know his heart is being torn on different directions.  

same with the leia scene. I guess it was all they could do but it needed more.  We needed to see what she was saying to him to give him pause.  And then solo scene being the final thing they does it.  It’s his own mind making sense of everything.  And rey healing him shows him sort of what Anakin could have told him, that it is possible to resist the dark.  

The kiss really bothered me.  Maybe because I sense no sexual chemistry. he tortured her.  I can appreciate rey accepting his turn. It’s what she wanted.  Embrace. Kiss on the cheek. A sense of love and family. But romantic?   Icky. 

I feel like If JJ just did the entire trilogy it would have been very different.  

I thought it was pretty good, much better than I expected.  It didn't feel like a 2.5 hour movie, the pacing was so relentless that it flew by.  It was a nice mix of the familiar and the novel, well-acted, great action scenes, and it didn't feel emotionally hollow. I thought it was definitely the best of the modern trilogy, it wasn't a hot mess like TLJ or unwarmed leftovers like TFA.

The kiss was an ... interesting choice.  The way I see it in my head, these are both confused kids who've both just almost died, they have a weird lingering mind-link, and they share experiences of weird powers that no one else can relate to, and that healing thing was pretty damn intimate as well with weird force soul energy going back and fourth between them.  It read to me more as more an animal response to trauma thing than a romantic thing.  But I can totally see why folks would be squicked by it. 

For everything I wrote in the other thread about how I didn't want yet another goddamn planet killer, I actually liked that this movie offered 10,000 planet killers.  Escalation is good.

The only overt TLJ ****-you I noticed was the presence of Anakin / Luke's lightsaber, unless I'm missing something about that.  That lightsaber has been lost and destroyed so many times and it keeps turning up ... you know that it is digging its way out of its Tatooine grave...

Loved Hux's reveal as the spy.  It's always good when a big twist is both surprising and 100% true to the character.  Of course Hux is going to try to set up Kylo Ren.  Of course he will **** it up.  Hux is 100% fuckup.

Really liked how C3PO was forbidden to translate the Sith runes because of his programming. That's totally how software works, something that starts off as a good and sensible hamstrings you later on in a way you'd never anticipate.

Headscratching moments:

- who made the sith dagger? 

- why did they need a ground team to take out the tower when the tower is just sitting there exposed and Rogue One showed that snubfighters are really super good at blowing up targets that are just sitting there exposed? 

- Same thing with the command ship, it's just another big unshielded hunk of metal with the critical tower sticking out of it, should've been easy meat for Poe, who is shown shaving star destroyers of their weapons in every movie he's in.

- It's okay to melt C3PO's brain to save the galaxy but it's also necessary to press the pause button on the mission to save the galaxy to go rescue Chewie?  Damn, droids' lives suck. But then, when you add it up, the galaxy is saved basically because Rey is nice to a couple of droids, so at least the movie is kinda aware of how ****** up the property status of droids is and rewards folks who are kind to them.  I ******* hate how droids call their owners "master."

WEDGE CAMEO!  I caught it, he's a gunner on the Falcon.  Also saw Ghost or a ship of the same class whizzing by during a dogfight.

Palps vs. Rey is a real nice callback to Palps vs. Luke in Jedi.  Only Palps has a way better offer for Rey than he did for Luke.  Luke gets "kill your father and then we'll see how things go" whereas Rey gets "your friends are dying and I can put you in charge of the fleet that's killing them."  And I liked how Palp's plan had a couple ways it could have gone well, either he gets to be PalpRey or he gets to be full-on Just Palp once he force-vampires Rey and Ben.  Either way, he wins, which is how real supervillains plan their strategies.  And I like how the Final Order fleet was like "oh ****, we have a single point of failure that the Rebels are targeting again" and they have a backup ready and standing by.  Can't have credible heroes without a credible heel.

43 minutes ago, johnzo said:

WEDGE CAMEO!  I caught it, he's a gunner on the Falcon.  Also saw Ghost or a ship of the same class whizzing by during a dogfight.

I knew Wedge was going to be in it, so I was watching for him. 

The Ghost is in the trailer. 

yeah, me too!  I avoided all but the very first trailer for this one.

oh, a thing I forgot to mention: I got such a stupid giant warm fuzzy when Rey took Luke's X-WIng and his beatup old helmet and when Finn called her Red Five. Made it feel like she was actually the true heir to the Jedi.  Strangely, all the passing-the-torch fetishism around Luke's lightsaber in the modern trilogy never really gave me that feeling, even though it was obviously shooting for it.

plus, I was glad that they paid off the X-Wing's appearance in TLJ.  See, they didn't completely ignore that film.  :)

There were a few shots at Rian.  The light saber.  When Luke catches it and says you should have more respect for it (rather then tossing it aside like Rian did) 

Rian made the whole climax of TLJ about the crait battle inspiring the galaxy to rise up but they said it didn’t. It was just another battle and no one was inspired.  

Kylo’d mask being put back together.  

Rey being important when TLJ was trying to say it didn’t matter, that anyone could be a Jedi.  This film said well actually she’s super powerful because of her blood. Same with Ben actually.  

Rey trying to do why luke did by abandoning the fight and Luke being somewhat condescending to her about it. Although I suppose he had come around by the end of TLJ.  

I find this movie to be like if Disney has suddenly pulled TLJ and told JJ his movie had to serve as 8 & 9.  

Good...

• Long. You get your monies worth.
  • No actor short-shifted on work, even Billy Dee Williams.
  • Carrie Fisher in it surprisingly quite a bit. Harrison is back.
  • Hux is the traitor just to piss off Kylo.
  • Wedge Antilles

Bad...

• It felt like a 3hr movie.
  • Wayfinder MacGuffins.
  • C3PO's had his memory wiped before so why not do it again and keep it wiped?
  • Chewie supposedly taken away on another transport that was not destroyed.  I thought it was weird when he went looking for Ray and went the other way around the hill.
  • The First/Last Order had a lot of ships, way too many and the way to destroy them was taken from Independence Day - "They're preparing to fire their primary weapon!" + "Get on the wire to every squadron around the world. Tell them how to bring those sons of ******* down."
  • Riding horses on the main Star Destroyer guiding the other ships. Speaking of those destroyers...again...they had 30 years to build them and they did not included auto-drive to get them off the planet?
  • If the force-bond thing from SW8 was too much wait, now they can transfer physical objects through force-bond. Oh and force-ghost Luke can grab thrown light sabres and raise x-wings from the water.
  • Rey kissing Kylo.

Things that make you go hmmm....

• Palpatine is back. Considering that this was rumoured before Ep7 came out this was not a big surprise.
  • Rey chooses Skywalkers name at end
  • Captain Phasma apparently was killed off at end of TLJ.
  • DJ(Benicio Del Toro ) was a one-off

Questions...

• How was the Republic so weak after ep6 that the First Order made a comeback?
  • How did Palpatine survive ep6?
  • How did Tie-Fighters follow the Falcon through hyperspace?
  • What was Palp doing with what looked like Snokes clones?
  • What did Finn want to tell Rey? I wuvs you? I have the force too! Porgs are tasty?

In a nutshell. Better then 8 but weaker then 7.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Good...

• Long. You get your monies worth.
  • No actor short-shifted on work, even Billy Dee Williams.
  • Carrie Fisher in it surprisingly quite a bit. Harrison is back.
  • Hux is the traitor just to piss off Kylo.
  • Wedge Antilles

Bad...

• It felt like a 3hr movie.
  • Wayfinder MacGuffins.
  • C3PO's had his memory wiped before so why not do it again and keep it wiped?
  • Chewie supposedly taken away on another transport that was not destroyed.  I thought it was weird when he went looking for Ray and went the other way around the hill.
  • The First/Last Order had a lot of ships, way too many and the way to destroy them was taken from Independence Day - "They're preparing to fire their primary weapon!" + "Get on the wire to every squadron around the world. Tell them how to bring those sons of ******* down."
  • Riding horses on the main Star Destroyer guiding the other ships. Speaking of those destroyers...again...they had 30 years to build them and they did not included auto-drive to get them off the planet?
  • If the force-bond thing from SW8 was too much wait, now they can transfer physical objects through force-bond. Oh and force-ghost Luke can grab thrown light sabres and raise x-wings from the water.
  • Rey kissing Kylo.

Things that make you go hmmm....

• Palpatine is back. Considering that this was rumoured before Ep7 came out this was not a big surprise.
  • Rey chooses Skywalkers name at end
  • Captain Phasma apparently was killed off at end of TLJ.
  • DJ(Benicio Del Toro ) was a one-off

Questions...

• How was the Republic so weak after ep6 that the First Order made a comeback?
  • How did Palpatine survive ep6?
  • How did Tie-Fighters follow the Falcon through hyperspace?
  • What was Palp doing with what looked like Snokes clones?
  • What did Finn want to tell Rey? I wuvs you? I have the force too! Porgs are tasty?

In a nutshell. Better then 8 but weaker then 7.

All good points.  

I thought it seemed shorter than 2.5 hours and kept the action going.   

The C3PO memory wipe struck me as forced emotion too.  He was wiped on Sith (so he wouldn’t remember he was created by Anakin). What’s the big deal.  And didn’t R2 restore his memories?

in TLJ, they showed that Rey and Kylo could interact physically during their force connections.  Kylo has water on his hands after one connection when the water was in Rey’s environment.  

a better question is how did they do it?  Snoke claimed he created their connection.  But Palps says they are a rare force dyad. But seems surprised by this.  But wasn’t he Snokes master?   Speaking of which, the Snoke clones were to imply that Palps created Snoke to begin with. 

What did Finn want to tell Rey?  I asked the same thing the second it ended.  It felt like another forced emotion moment.  Creating tension between Finn and Poe that wasn’t needed.  

Luke being able to physically interact adds to the wild addition to ghost powers from Yoda in TLJ.  Why don’t these ghosts go hunt some sith if they can do all this and can’t be killed?  It does make wonder about the rumoured scene where the Jedi voices spoke to rey, supposedly the scene originally involved appearances of the ghosts. I think it would have made more sense.  If Rey killed Palps body and the Jedi ghosts appeared to destroy his evil Sith spirit, especially Anakin.  

the kiss.  Gross.   Just....awful.  Don’t fall in love with your abuser even when they promise to change for reals this time. 

the plot was a total mess.  But I still think it worked in the end.  Mostly anyway.  

Obi-Wan was able to site on a tree stump.  So why wouldn't Luke be able to catch a lightsaber?

Finn just wanted to tell Rey he had the force.

I didn't mind the kiss.  I was kind of expecting it.  Didn't find it creepy at all considering the connection the two had.

I didn't find the movie dragged at all.  Felt it went by fairly quickly.  Enjoyed it all except for the force teleportation of objects, but that's just a minor grudge.

JJ had a lot of damage to fix and he did it well.  I really enjoyed it.  I want to see what happens with Rey now though...maybe they'll continue her adventures in the future?  I hope so.

I need to see it again. And not after I had a shitty night of sleep.

Fell asleep near the end so I'm confused by how things worked out, but I really wish they showed the Star Forge building the damn ships.Would have tied the first Sith world and how Palps could build such a large fleet together nicely.

And I didn't fine Leia as disjointed as the reviews suggested. Yes, her death should have had more impact, but aside from that I thought her parts worked pretty well. Nice to see Han again only if in Ben's imagination.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And didn’t R2 restore his memories?

"One last look at my friends" should have meant a death for C3PO or permawipe but no worries...backups!

+1 though for backing up the computer :D

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Obi-Wan was able to sit  on a tree stump.  So why wouldn't Luke be able to catch a lightsaber?

Then Obi-wan would have to force-chop the tree down then sit on it.

This scene a lot of people saying is giving the finger to Rian. Certainly makes up for the beginning of TLJ.

TLJ  is a much simpler movie  TROS is a shopping spree at Costco. I'm liking TROS more but really its due to the lack of forced comedy compared to TLJ.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

TLJ was pretty boring and simple. It wasn’t a big film.  It was really bad.  I don’t envy what JJ has to accomplish with this one.  I only wish he’d have done the entire trilogy. 

Lucas originally had Obi Wan assuring luke physically in his fight with vader so ghosts being able to interact is not a crazy idea. But it raises many questions.  

I found the film had many F U to Rian moments.  Rightfully so!

2 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

I need to see it again. And not after I had a shitty night of sleep.

Fell asleep near the end so I'm confused by how things worked out, but I really wish they showed the Star Forge building the damn ships.Would have tied the first Sith world and how Palps could build such a large fleet together nicely.

And I didn't fine Leia as disjointed as the reviews suggested. Yes, her death should have had more impact, but aside from that I thought her parts worked pretty well. Nice to see Han again only if in Ben's imagination.

I think the professional critics were more negative on Leia, again because they don’t understand what fans enjoy.  Sort of like all the blowback to Tarkin in R1 which I thought was amazing.  

if you looked for it knowing Carrie didn’t film any new scenes you could tell they had to frame dialogue around whatever they had of her and the scenes where they don’t show her face. But I preferred it over not having her in at all.  

although I think Rian should have called an audible and had Leia die in TLJ and luke live.  It would have allowed Luke to actually do something in this movie and save Leia for smaller ghost scenes. 

54 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Then Obi-wan would have to force-chop the tree down then sit on it.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  When he sat down on the tree in Return of the Jedi, it was already down.

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And i'm sure Chewie would be just waiting to hug Kylo at the wedding.

You mean the kid that he probably helped to raise and probably missed the kill shot on purpose when Kylo killed Han?

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Why did Luke have to train Ben IF Luke trained Leia 🤔

Leia thought sending him to Luke's Academy would help him to be shielded from Snoke.  In the movie it stated she had a force vision, during training, of him going to the dark side.  It's also explained in one of the books that they new about Snoke a long time ago and how he was trying to sway Ben.  She figured that sending him to Luke he'd be protected.

Plus, have you ever tried getting taught something by your mom?  My mom was a piano teacher and I would never want to listen to her lessons.  When someone else taught me I did great.

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Leia thought sending him to Luke's Academy would help him to be shielded from Snoke.  In the movie it stated she had a force vision, during training, of him going to the dark side.  It's also explained in one of the books that they new about Snoke a long time ago and how he was trying to sway Ben.  She figured that sending him to Luke he'd be protected.

Plus, have you ever tried getting taught something by your mom?  My mom was a piano teacher and I would never want to listen to her lessons.  When someone else taught me I did great.

Yeah I don’t love the idea of liea as a Jedi but it was made sort of necessary by TLJ.   But her explanation that she saw Ben falling to the dark side and thus stopped her own training to focus on her family and then later sent him to Luke to instil the light side makes sense.  

it also hints at a larger story.  Much like in the PT we can perhaps assume the vision was planted by Palps to get Leia to do exactly what Palps wanted - get Ben under Luke’s guidance. 

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  When he sat down on the tree in Return of the Jedi, it was already down.

Right, he sat on existing object. He did not move it there or pick it up.

Jedi get powerful with every movie. Jumping levels in 4-6, flying out of cars, in 1-3, physical-force transferring in 7-9.