How About that Other Worldly Play-Off Defense?

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Which was a Better Defense During Play-Offs?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which was a Better Defense During Play-Offs?

• 2011 "Swaggerville"
    • 2019 Grey Cup Champs?

I still can't get over how crazy awesome that 2019 Play-off Defense was. it must be one of the best in... well at least this millennium. 

2019 Play-off D > Swaggerville Play-off D. 

I mean... They took it to another level in the Grey Cup. They Bullied the Ti-cats. Like Men vs Boys. 

Let's partake in a poll and then hash out our favourite moments of that Play off run..

Where to start?

-The dismantling of the perrenial Elite QB in the WSF? 

-The scores of goal line stances and redzone rejection in the WF?

-Beating the living **** out of the Ticats in the grey Cup? Perfectly encapsulated when Jefferson just tosses Speedy "Aww coach not after three plays in a row" Banks? Or in the dying minutes of the game, The Great Dane misses the hand off side and then proceeds to drop and turtle?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The DL took it to the next level - everyone else just had to do their jobs behind them. They saved their best football for the big dance. 

I love that part in Mic'd up where Banks is complaining about taking too many touches, and then on the next Sweep- the speed and penetration the D line got to just crush Banks.

I think I've said it before on here, but I'll never forget just how little Evans wanted to be in the pocket holding the ball the final 5-7 minutes of that game. He looked absolutely traumatized by our pressure.

All of the DBs played some excellent football over the three game stretch. Can't imagine the headache it must have been playing against a secondary as a unit playing so well across the board. Same goes for our linebackers. Love Maston/Wilson out there, and Bighill saved some of his best football all year for the most important game of the year.

I can always hope for a defense this dominant in future seasons, but I don't think I can ever expect one to play any better than this 2019 team did during that playoff run.

18 minutes ago, Colton said:

I think I've said it before on here, but I'll never forget just how little Evans wanted to be in the pocket holding the ball the final 5-7 minutes of that game. He looked absolutely traumatized by our pressure.

Agreed... it was all summed up when he literally fell to the ground, untouched, and turtled... loved it...

46 minutes ago, Colton said:

All of the DBs played some excellent football over the three game stretch. Can't imagine the headache it must have been playing against a secondary as a unit playing so well across the board. Same goes for our linebackers. Love Maston/Wilson out there, and Bighill saved some of his best football all year for the most important game of the year.

I can always hope for a defense this dominant in future seasons, but I don't think I can ever expect one to play any better than this 2019 team did during that playoff run.

Yup, noticed him throwing off his back foot with no one in his face mid-way through the 1st half on a replay and thought to myself, "weve gotten to him, he's rattled, its over".

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yup, noticed him throwing off his back foot with no one in his face mid-way through the 1st half on a replay and thought to myself, "weve gotten to him, he's rattled, its over".

Meanwhile, Collaros is casually surveying the field with their DL literally locked up.  I’m getting a print of that made. 

3 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s a no contest this 2019 defence is arguably an all time historically good. 2011 was a nice run but we got exposed by BC in the Grey cup. 

To be fair - 2011 Grey Cup could have easily gone our way if Willis doesn't drop the pick 6.  Down 24-9 (eventually 31-9 after THAT drive) instead of only 24-16...

4 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

To be fair - 2011 Grey Cup could have easily gone our way if Willis doesn't drop the pick 6.  Down 24-9 (eventually 31-9 after THAT drive) instead of only 24-16...

One play was not the difference in that game. The offense didn't do **** until garbage time and the defense struggled, much as it for a good chunk of the latter half of that season.

The 2011 team got exposed by a better, far more balanced team in the BC Lions.

8 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

I've rewatched the game in its entirety twice now ,wife thinks I'm nuts lol. But for all the accolades going to the DL ,I think Mike Jones at corner had a game for the ages. Took cry baby Banks out of game ,literally and figuratively.

Mine too Piggy... mine too. At first I am a little sad that she doesn't share my fandom... then I'm like "Oh well... we're ******* GREY CUP CHAMPS!!!

Yeah, when Mike Jones defended that pass to Mike Jones- Mike Jones makes the catch, and takes a step while almost securing the football, Mike Jones bats it out of Mike Jones' hands- the replay on that Mike jones on Mike Jones play was incredible.

MIke Jones had himself one hell of a game.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

3 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

I've rewatched the game in its entirety twice now ,wife thinks I'm nuts lol. But for all the accolades going to the DL ,I think Mike Jones at corner had a game for the ages. Took cry baby Banks out of game ,literally and figuratively.

If not for Harris going off, Jones was the MOP without question... 

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

One play was not the difference in that game. The offense didn't do **** until garbage time and the defense struggled, much as it for a good chunk of the latter half of that season.

The 2011 team got exposed by a better, far more balanced team in the BC Lions.

That 2011 team's Defense dragged that offense kicking and screaming into the Grey Cup... If they would have had a better offense, I think it would have been a much closer game. 

I think I am going to re-watch that 2011 game.. see what went wrong... and then flush it down the ol' memory hole with a 5th viewing of the 2019 GC... lol

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

I know this is a discussion about our defense but to me, the play that won the game for us wasn't on defense. It was on Special Team punt cover. When Hansen took out 2 guys with a ferocious tackle. That was the final blow to an arrogant team that thought we'd just lie down for them because they thought they were better. That was the final knock out punch. The Cats were finished after that. They wanted no part of the Bombers anymore. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know this is a discussion about our defense but to me, the play that won the game for us wasn't on defense. It was on Special Team punt cover. When Hansen took out 2 guys with a ferocious tackle. That was the final blow to an arrogant team that thought we'd just lie down for them because they thought they were better. That was the final knock out blow. The Cats were finished after that. They wanted no part of the Bombers anymore. The pounding our defense gave them just took them right out of their game. 

I don't know if that was the play that sealed it- but holy **** was that a HIT! And yeah completely demoralizing... 

1 hour ago, Piggy 1 said:

Many huge moments but that was huge.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know this is a discussion about our defense but to me, the play that won the game for us wasn't on defense. It was on Special Team punt cover. When Hansen took out 2 guys with a ferocious tackle. That was the final blow to an arrogant team that thought we'd just lie down for them because they thought they were better. That was the final knock out punch. The Cats were finished after that. They wanted no part of the Bombers anymore. 

Still gives me a half-chub thinking about that sweet sweet play.