Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

36 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This stance confuses me...  Masoli goes 4-1 with three 300+ yard high risk games and then was literally destroying our D when he got injured - and is one season away from 5000+ yards... but he's pedestrian while Matt Nichols throws for piddly but safe yards... is one season away from an 18:13 TD-INT ratio... is now on his 4th or 5th major injury - yet he's still a legit option

I totally agree about the June Jones thing - but obviously any team signing him would understand that as well... he's not going to step into Lapo's system and succeed immediately

you can cherry pick portions of a season...or portions of a career all you like to support an argument or position on things...but overall...has done not a heck of a lot...and yeah other than his what appears to be anomaly season in 2018

Since 2016 Masoli has thrown for 12 657 yards with 67 TD's to 42 Int's

Nichols thrown for 13 420 yards with 79 TD's to 35 Int's 

both guys played 60 games...which stats would indicate a superior QB?..And how has Matt thrown for a piddly amount when he has more yards than Masoli..but again, we seen all year that yards thrown doesn't equate to wins..so Masoli's 300+ yard games equated to 9 td's vs 7 int's....I'll take Matt's 15 tds's to 3 Int's and 200 yards a game to what Masoli's big numbers netted on the score board..

Failing also to mention those 300+ yard high risk games were against T.O at beginning of the season and the back to back spankings of MTL in games 3 and 4 when they were putrid...both teams were putrid...but against Sask..Cgy and Winnipeg he threw for 169 yards..192 yards and 59 yards (though he got hurt) with 3 TD's and 2 Int's...

Edited by Booch

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

you can cherry pick portions of a season...or portions of a career all you like to support an argument or position on things...but overall...has done not a heck of a lot...and yeah other than his what appears to be anomaly season in 2018

Since 2016 Masoli has thrown for 12 657 yards with 67 TD's to 42 Int's

Nichols thrown for 13 420 yards with 79 TD's to 35 Int's 

both guys played 60 games...which stats would indicate a superior QB?..And how has Matt thrown for a piddly amount when he has more yards than Masoli..but again, we seen all year that yards thrown doesn't equate to wins..so Masoli's 300+ yard games equated to 9 td's vs 7 int's....I'll take Matt's 15 tds's to 3 Int's and 200 yards a game to what Masoli's big numbers netted on the score board..

This is cherry picking just as much...  you can't take overall career stats without context plus you completely ignore Masoli's rushing stats

Condell and Lapo are completely different OCs...  Lapo is overly risk adverse - that's why Nichols succeeds

No one signing a QB looks at their complete career stats ha - oh Masoli only threw for 200 yards in 2014... no thanks - haha

Im not throwing Nichols under the bus - but its crazy to say Masoli is 'pedestrian' - you have your blue goggles on today, they are different QBs

Regardless, Nick Arbuckle is a better option for the bombers than either of these guys and has better stats at this stage of his career

So much depends on the OC and the team situation.   Nichols on a team without a premium o-line will get killed.     Masoli however playing on a LaPo team would be terrible because the guy only is successful when he rolls out and throws mid-deep out of the pocket.    

Nichols should go to Ottawa (assuming they spend big on o-line),   Masoli should stay in Hamilton,   ZC should stay in Winnipeg,   MBT should stay in Toronto. Arbuckle I guess could compete either in Toronto or Ottawa but I don't think he's worth starter money just yet.

That would the best for each of the players and how they play. 

As a recruiter I can say yes...you do look at a players body of work...total body...not just the good...or the bad...and yes Masoli threw for 200+ in 2014...in true back-up QB fashion with minimal reps

And yeah he rushed for more...BLM has rushed for next to nothing, but his stats are far superior to both and it's not just due to OC played under...it's about skill..and Masoli is alright..but not elite..and yes you can disagree but his stats are very pedestrian...and never said Matts were elite either...but his stats and his penchant for less turn overs make him a better option at this point in their careers in what we are doing here 

Just now, Booch said:

As a recruiter I can say yes...you do look at a players body of work...total body...not just the good...or the bad...and yes Masoli threw for 200+ in 2014...in true back-up QB fashion with minimal reps

And yeah he rushed for more...BLM has rushed for next to nothing, but his stats are far superior to both and it's not just due to OC played under...it's about skill..and Masoli is alright..but not elite..and yes you can disagree but his stats are very pedestrian...and never said Matts were elite either...but his stats and his penchant for less turn overs make him a better option at this point in their careers in what we are doing here 

Yeah for sure... but you're really comparing Masoli's last four years to Nichols last five - not total yards when one guys comes in as a hot shot prospect then breaks his leg while the other takes three years to develop 

If I was paying starter money, I'd roll the dice with Arbuckle - 2000+ yards in 8 games and a 3:1 TD-Int with no injuries and 26 years old 

Just now, Floyd said:

Yeah for sure... but you're really comparing Masoli's last four years to Nichols last five - not total yards when one guys comes in as a hot shot prospect then breaks his leg while the other takes three years to develop 

If I was paying starter money, I'd roll the dice with Arbuckle - 2000+ yards in 8 games and a 3:1 TD-Int with no injuries and 26 years old 

was comparing 2016 to their games played in 2019...which equaled the same amount oddly...either way tho...both would only be a starter this coming yr I think...so most likely best bet is to stick with familiarity (if Nichols is healed) and work Strev more into things with an actual normal package of plays..

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

It's kind of a balancing act really. Football is definitely a "what have you done for me lately" industry, but at the same time, you can't look at how good a player was to dictate how good they are now.

- Bombers signed Adarius Bowman and Chris Matthews... one could argue they did this because they were looking at what those players were, in reality they were shells of their former selves. Both were here for very short stints.
- Similarly, they took a gamble on Weston Dressler, who showed he had lots of gas left in the tank and was a reliable receiver for quite a few years. Pity he couldn't have won the Grey Cup with 'em this year, that would've really stuck it to the 'Rider faithful.

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

was comparing 2016 to their games played in 2019...which equaled the same amount oddly...either way tho...both would only be a starter this coming yr I think...so most likely best bet is to stick with familiarity (if Nichols is healed) and work Strev more into things with an actual normal package of plays..

My hesitation with Nichols is that he hasn't looked the same since the TC injury in 2018...  a non-contact knee injury and then a minor contact shoulder injury - these are huge red flags

If Bombers are planning on paying him $450k, I'd probably go for Arbuckle instead - try to run with $350k Streveler and $400k Arbuckle

If its an incentive contract then bring him back and spend big on D

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

My hesitation with Nichols is that he hasn't looked the same since the TC injury in 2018...  a non-contact knee injury and then a minor contact shoulder injury - these are huge red flags

If Bombers are planning on paying him $450k, I'd probably go for Arbuckle instead - try to run with $350k Streveler and $400k Arbuckle

If its an incentive contract then bring him back and spend big on D

I actually thought this year he looked better...was moving around in pocket and changing his launch points...a couple early TD strikes were a direct result of him moving out of pressure

Non-contact injury this year is false though..having a D-Lineman come down on you full force with arm in a bad position taking full force is what did him in...what it did who knows, but I think it was some kind of dislocation with a tear somewhere

I think too...regardless of who we sign we will be paying between 550k to 750k for our QB's...what order they play on depth chart, or who is the starter I don't care..whoever is giving us the best chance in each game to win is all that matters...the money will still be paid regardless

Tho Strev has to be part of that mix

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

I actually thought this year he looked better...was moving around in pocket and changing his launch points...a couple early TD strikes were a direct result of him moving out of pressure

Non-contact injury this year is false though..having a D-Lineman come down on you full force with arm in a bad position taking full force is what did him in...what it did who knows, but I think it was some kind of dislocation with a tear somewhere

I think too...regardless of who we sign we will be paying between 550k to 750k for our QB's...what order they play on depth chart, or who is the starter I don't care..whoever is giving us the best chance in each game to win is all that matters...the money will still be paid regardless

Masoli is a QB that relies even more on mobility and also suffered a far more severe non contact knee injury.

Yet some are certain he will get 500K+ on his next deal

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

He 100% looked fantastic to start this year...was on a torrid pace. People just have this insane revisionist history...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He 100% looked fantastic to start this year...was on a torrid pace. People just have this insane revisionist history...

Against **** competition... once he started playing against real defenses look what happened.

Also it's typical for Offenses to click earlier before a defense will gel.    

Before he was hurt people on here were calling for Strev to replace him for the 2nd year in a row....

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

His play definitely took a hit as the year went on though.

I think a more accurate way to say what you're trying to say is: "The offense didn't look as dynamic as the year went on"....for whatever reason. Quality of opponent....opponent "figuring out" our offense....not the right pieces in place...could be many factors.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Should have a lot of fans being one of the winningest QBs in the league over the last 3-4 seasons.....

And yet again we bring up Bishop going 12- 0   .......    Or we can bring up Reilly's won loss record for last season.   Ignoring his salary ...would you take Nichols over Reilly?

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think a more accurate way to say what you're trying to say is: "The offense didn't look as dynamic as the year went on"....for whatever reason. Quality of opponent....opponent "figuring out" our offense....not the right pieces in place...could be many factors.

No the accurate reponse was that he was playing teams that gave him zero pressure,   that were terrible in standings and as the season went on and he started playing against teams with more talent he struggled. 

When teams started isolating on the old dump off to Harris.... Nichols could not push the ball or make plays on his own. 

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

The main problem with Matt is his lack of 'escapability' (new word I invented)...Sometimes he panics and chucks it into the stands or makes a bad decision because of pressure, resulting in a the pass getting pic'd....He has a hard time moving out of pressure because he's as slow as molasses ...Injuries starting to mount making him even more tentative...doesn't bode well...Will Collaros be any better?...I think he has proven that and can certainly evade pressure...so there's that

Your last line is a definite...Advancing Streveler's game is a big priority

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

That to me is key - setting a QB budget in that range for all QB's. I'd be really wary of paying the $750 K plus for a starting elite QB. Reilly and BLM are by far the best QB's, but, really impacts your roster elsewhere, and in reality didn't win a Grey Cup for either BC or Calgary. There's absolutely no other QB's in the CFL I would pay that kind of money for. I'd shoot for Streveler, McGuire and veteran CFL TBD for $750K or less.