Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It was Jaime Elizondo, after he quit I don't know how they handled play-calling, maybe Paopao?

Earlier in the season it was Winston October then later on they gave the play-calling to Paopao

Edited by M.O.A.B.

43 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's a pretty solid defensive staff... who was their OC last year?

Doesn't matter. They had undeniably the worst quarterbacking in the league, so they were scrooged from day one. If it was obvious to this forum, it sure as spit was obvious to the team, who knew they were DOA before they stepped onto the field.

8 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

I think Lapo wanted to be in the puss division too. Edmonton has a top 4 qb in the league, why pass that up?

I think Lapo thinks he can bring in Masoli and get them to 8 wins and make playoffs as opposed to the slugfest out west.

When i think QBs who would fit the Lapo system,Masoli is near the bottom of that list. 

36 minutes ago, Goalie said:

When i think QBs who would fit the Lapo system,Masoli is near the bottom of that list. 

I agree, but he's the most established FA QB in the league, and Lapo must think he can draw someone - one of Strev, Arbuckle, Nichols, Masoli.

The point is: I think he thinks he can get Ottawa to 8 wins and make playoffs as opposed to needing 11 in the west and that's why he took the job.

That or Ottawa just simply offered more money. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

36 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

I agree, but he's the most established FA QB in the league, and Lapo must think he can draw someone - one of Strev, Arbuckle, Nichols, Masoli.

The point is: I think he thinks he can get Ottawa to 8 wins and make playoffs as opposed to needing 11 in the west and that's why he took the job.

That or Ottawa just simply offered more money. 

Nichols is the most established FA QB, followed by Collaros, followed by Masoli. 

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well all of that aside, the key word is "established".... By definition, Nichols is the most established. 

Regardless of what we as individuals think of Masoli, he's much more highly regarded as a QB than Nichols is. And if you're going by what they've accomplished over their careers to this point, Collaros has a Grey Cup and an MOP with similar to slightly better numbers than Nichols. By either definition Nichols is cleraly not the most "established" QB on the market. 

Edited by AKAChip

On 2019-12-09 at 12:00 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yes, I believe some people are under the impression Dinwiddie was the Stamps OC but he never got beyond QB coach with the Stamps under Dickenson.  His name has been removed from the Stamps coaching staff on their website, so he's already gone.

I checked yesterday & it was still there. 

34 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Regardless of what we as individuals think of Masoli, he's much higher regarded as a QB than Nichols is. And if you're going by what they've accomplished over their careers to this point, Collaros has a Grey Cup and an MOP with similar to slightly better numbers than Nichols. By either definitely Nichols is cleraly not the most "established" QB on the market. 

Established means who's been around longer... Who's been a starter longer. It doesn't mean "who's been established in my mind as the better player..." 

I vehemently disagree that Masoli is held in higher regard than Nichols by anyone who matters... 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Established means who's been around longer... Who's been a starter longer. It doesn't mean "who's been established in my mind as the better player..." 

I vehemently disagree that Masoli is held in higher regard than Nichols by anyone who matters... 

It's interesting...  there's still a tendency to think of Masoli as a 'young QB' but he's the same age as Nichols - the difference is that June Jones unlocked his potential so I do think he's regarded higher than Nichols - I mean he holds the record for most consecutive 300 yard games...

Someone will give Masoli $500k+ but it won't be us.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I don't know when the definition of "established" changed to solely mean "who's been around longer". Even if you leave Masoli out of the equation, Collaros has been around essentially as long and has objectively had far more success in the CFL than Nichols has. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

As per merriam webster the definition when speaking of a person is:  successful for a long period of time and widely known

I think it's debatable on him being touted as a more established QB then ZC.   If we're talking in the last 3 years then yes... but if we're talking about full career then ZC would be looked upon as the more successful established QB. 

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As per merriam webster the definition when speaking of a person is:  successful for a long period of time and widely known

I think it's debatable on him being touted as a more established QB then ZC.   If we're talking in the last 3 years then yes... but if we're talking about full career then ZC would be looked upon as the more successful established QB. 

well I guess that depends on your definition of 'successful'... but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day... success in football is heavily dependent upon the system you play in and the supporting cast of players around you and how you mesh into it all... it all boils down to personal preference and opinion of those being discussed... for every 'pro' for any one of them I can come up with just as many 'cons'... not to mention that what you did 2 years ago has absolutely little value when you're talking about next year... football remains a team sport, look no further than Mike Reilly to see how that can work out for ya... no matter how great of a QB you may be, or the receivers you have, it doesn't matter if your O line is crap and you spend most of the game on your back... and if we're really being honest here, let's see a show of hands that actually thought that Collaros would have, or could have, pulled off what he did for the Bombers this year... anyone? no hands up? exactly...

at times we tend to remain frozen in time when we evaluate players... lots of extenuating circumstances that ultimately determine success, even year to year... but, as harsh as it may sound, with the departure of Lapo we may have actually improved our odds of better QB play, regardless of who that may be...

Edited by 66 Chevelle

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Who has bounced around and not really found a home. 

No Noeller has it right based purely on the definition of the word Nichols is the most established. 

29 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No Noeller has it right based purely on the definition of the word Nichols is the most established. 

And that's all I was really trying to say... 

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which one of the two is a grey cup winning QB?  If we are comparing full careers then clearly ZC would be the more established QB.   

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Umm... Collaros was a big free agent signing for Hamilton and stayed for four years

He has now 'bounced around' because he's broken

Nichols was a scrap heap claim by the Bombers - and now has a shoulder injury...

No one in their right mind would take these two guys over Masoli - if you look at it rationally.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Umm... Collaros was a big free agent signing for Hamilton and stayed for four years

Nichols was a scrap heap claim by the Bombers - and now has a shoulder injury...

No one in their right mind would take these two guys over Masoli - if you look at it rationally.

When you look at Masoli and his career though he has really only had 1 season worthy of top end QB money...his TD to int ration is less than 2:1 which isn't remarkable at all, and has only eclipsed 15 TD passes once and is prone to bad turn overs at really bad times trying to force things

I am under the belief that he was a benefactor of what June Jones did that one year more than anything and his 3 years as a starter, and the 6 games this year are really pretty pedestrian numbers and as a 32 year old coming back from injury is what he is and isn't going to evolve into more...so I would hope we aren't considering him at all

Collaros and Nichols track record alone, and experience as starters (which are more significant) as well as results wise would offer way more as what is going to be a stop gap anyway while Strev (or Mcguire) evolve and grow, or down the road we end up with a different QB altogether not even on the CFL scene yet in terms of top level talent

1 minute ago, Booch said:

When you look at Masoli and his career though he has really only had 1 season worthy of top end QB money...his TD to int ration is less than 2:1 which isn't remarkable at all, and has only eclipsed 15 TD passes once and is prone to bad turn overs at really bad times trying to force things

I am under the belief that he was a benefactor of what June Jones did that one year more than anything and his 3 years as a starter, and the 6 games this year are really pretty pedestrian numbers and as a 32 year old coming back from injury is what he is and isn't going to evolve into more...so I would hope we aren't considering him at all

Collaros and Nichols track record alone, and experience as starters (which are more significant) as well as results wise would offer way more as what is going to be a stop gap anyway while Strev (or Mcguire) evolve and grow, or down the road we end up with a different QB altogether not even on the CFL scene yet in terms of top level talent

This stance confuses me...  Masoli goes 4-1 with three 300+ yard high risk games and then was literally destroying our D when he got injured - and is one season away from 5000+ yards... but he's pedestrian while Matt Nichols throws for piddly but safe yards... is one season away from an 18:13 TD-INT ratio... is now on his 4th or 5th major injury - yet he's still a legit option

I totally agree about the June Jones thing - but obviously any team signing him would understand that as well... he's not going to step into Lapo's system and succeed immediately

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The rationale decision for this up coming year would be to pass on Masoli. For the simple fact that it seems like he wont be ready to start the year. I've heard he wont be ready until as late as August.