Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Under the new coaches cap LaPo will not have the luxury of hiring the assistants he wants, here is a list of the coaches they employed last season.  I don't know which of these are still under contract.

Offensive Coaches

Definitely want to keep Nick Nolte...

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Argos interview Stamps QB coach Dinwiddie: The Toronto Argonauts have interviewed Calgary Stampeders quarterbacks coach Ryan Dinwiddie, TSN's Farhan Lalji reported.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-interview-cThalgary-stampeders-qb-coach-ryan-dinwiddie-1.1410508?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter  via @TSN_Sports

The Argos interviewed Dinwiddie twice???

54 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I like LaPo well enough but this doesn't cut it.......he needs to grow a beard or something...

https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2019/12/09/sit-down-with-head-coach-paul-lapolice/

He still doesn't seem to exude confidence the way O'Shea does.  Whether it is true or not Joe Mack stated that he already had concerns with Lapo's leadership abilities even when they went to the Grey Cup. After that season several players had voiced concerns about it according to Mack. But because they went to the Grey Cup they decided they had to stick with him.  He's a very good offensive co-ordinator but I'm not sold on him being the leader of a team.  It's one thing to get respect in the offensive co-ordinator position when they got to respect him or they will hear about it from Mike O'Shea. Its another thing to be the top dog yourself and command that respect.  I also think that he calls plays from the booth for a reason. He isn't as effective as an offensive co-ordinator when he is wearing multiple hats and is calling plays from the sidelines.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ok so if you want to say the GC wasn't amazing I will listen  to that argument (I personally thought it was fine overall) but how on earth do you call the WF great play calling? Really interested in hearing you justify that claim.

My bad, I meant the Calgary game, not the Regina game. Change WF to WSF.

My biggest recollection of Lapolice's time as HC here was the total lack of discipline the team had. As I recall it we were the most penalized team in the league and it wasn't even close. I wish him well in Ottawa (except when they are playing us) and I hope he has learned from his time with O' Shea.

That was my first sign that O' Shea was going to be a good coach. The team immediately displayed exemplary discipline under O' Shea and I believe has been one of the least penalized teams in the league his entire tenure here.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ok so if you want to say the GC wasn't amazing I will listen  to that argument (I personally thought it was fine overall) but how on earth do you call the WF great play calling? Really interested in hearing you justify that claim.

How can anyone say LaPo didn't call a great game in the GC? Even when we win a championship after 29 years, some people just aren't satisfied.

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

He still doesn't seem to exude confidence the way O'Shea does.  Whether it is true or not Joe Mack stated that he already had concerns with Lapo's leadership abilities even when they went to the Grey Cup. After that season several players had voiced concerns about it according to Mack. But because they went to the Grey Cup they decided they had to stick with him.  He's a very good offensive co-ordinator but I'm not sold on him being the leader of a team.  It's one thing to get respect in the offensive co-ordinator position when they got to respect him or they will hear about it from Mike O'Shea. Its another thing to be the top dog yourself and command that respect.  I also think that he calls plays from the booth for a reason. He isn't as effective as an offensive co-ordinator when he is wearing multiple hats and is calling plays from the sidelines.

Your last sentence. Most coaches prefer calling the plays from upstairs. They can see the entire field & what the opposition is doing. And yes, there are less distractions than on the sidelines. Sounds like LaPo will have an offensive coach upstairs telling him what he sees. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How can anyone say LaPo didn't call a great game in the GC? Even when we win a championship after 29 years, some people just aren't satisfied.

That was more on the Defense than the Offense. Offense did well- but that D... holy ****... That Defense going into the play offs... was Otherworldly. 

11 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That was more on the Defense than the Offense. Offense did well- but that D... holy ****... That Defense going into the play offs... was Otherworldly. 

The most other worldly aspect of their GC run - was the insane physicality and dominance in the trenches.  

makes one wonder of lapo's faith in himself and his ability to be a leader and turn a situation around, in choosing Ottawa over Edmonton

When you look at it Edmonton is the better team all around..Have a QB, a way better defense...better depth, and also logistically is a lot closer to his wife's family/extended family, yet he choose to go across country, to a team with no QB...arguably a tire fire, and a GM who is rumored difficult to deal with

Looks to me he tried to take the safe path and go to a spot where being mediocre will most likely result in a play-off spot in the weaker east, as opposed to battling WPG/CGY/SSK and I bet even BC this year for a play-off spot...choose his destination like he coached/called a game...safe with minimal risk..

To me that reeks of lack of true confidence in ones self

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

makes one wonder of lapo's faith in himself and his ability to be a leader and turn a situation around, in choosing Ottawa over Edmonton

When you look at it Edmonton is the better team all around..Have a QB, a way better defense...better depth, and also logistically is a lot closer to his wife's family/extended family, yet he choose to go across country, to a team with no QB...arguably a tire fire, and a GM who is rumored difficult to deal with

Looks to me he tried to take the safe path and go to a spot where being mediocre will most likely result in a play-off spot in the weaker east, as opposed to battling WPG/CGY/SSK and I bet even BC this year for a play-off spot...choose his destination like he coached/called a game...safe with minimal risk..

To me that reeks of lack of true confidence in ones self

Was he offered the Edmonton job?

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Your last sentence. Most coaches prefer calling the plays from upstairs. They can see the entire field & what the opposition is doing. And yes, there are less distractions than on the sidelines. Sounds like LaPo will have an offensive coach upstairs telling him what he sees. 

Im sure he will.  But its still going to be a downgrade from actually doing it yourself.  If that worked just as well he would have been doing it already as OC. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Won't be surprise if it's Baressi. 

Will Lapo place a call to Tim Burke to make a come back? 

😁

Edited by M.O.A.B.

20 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Under the new coaches cap LaPo will not have the luxury of hiring the assistants he wants, here is a list of the coaches they employed last season.  I don't know which of these are still under contract.

Offensive Coaches

That's a pretty solid defensive staff... who was their OC last year?