Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For once I agree with you. But just this once. Don't think I'm going soft or anything like that. 😉 

Woli's lack of use may have persuaded him to look elsewhere as well next yr....maybe this loss of Lapo may swing in a positive light for certain free agents

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I' am starting to think that Lapo's Offensive schemes and plays were very creative and far from predictable... I think it was his play calling. 

Lapo's offences are great. Play calling drove me nuts and was very predictable for the most part.  Not sure about the fit in Ottawa as they have spiralled downward to the bottom. Was thinking he would be successful in Edmonton as they are in better shape.  I like Lapo (despite play calling) and wish him well, but unfortunately think he may be on TSN panel again in 2021.

Looking forward to seeing a Lapo type offence with an aggressive twist from BP.

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

Woli's lack of use may have persuaded him to look elsewhere as well next yr....maybe this loss of Lapo may swing in a positive light for certain free agents

Yeah, the guy can do great things but only if the ball is coming his way. He was wasted in our offense. I hope we re-sign him. 

15 hours ago, Mark F said:

seems like there is some problem in Calgary.  One coach quits, then Dinwiddie leaves for same job elsewhere.

I don't think so. Part of it is the coaching cap. More experienced coaches make more money. The other part is Dave Dickenson is the OC so if Costanza & Dinwiddie want to be OC's somewhere then they have to leave. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think so. Part of it is the coaching cap. More experienced coaches make more money. The other part is Dave Dickenson is the OC so if Costanza & Dinwiddie want to be OC's somewhere then they have to leave. 

Yes, I believe some people are under the impression Dinwiddie was the Stamps OC but he never got beyond QB coach with the Stamps under Dickenson.  His name has been removed from the Stamps coaching staff on their website, so he's already gone.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Argos interview Stamps QB coach Dinwiddie: The Toronto Argonauts have interviewed Calgary Stampeders quarterbacks coach Ryan Dinwiddie, TSN's Farhan Lalji reported.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-interview-calgary-stampeders-qb-coach-ryan-dinwiddie-1.1410508?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter  via @TSN_Sports

Dave Dickensen called a game losing, go for fifteen yard pass for the TD on a third and short in the semi final that kind of clinched their loss.

As a Bomber fan, I liked that call.

Curious about who Lapo will recruit to coach in Ottawa. Probably Mr Dyce will stay.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The WF was great play calling. Not so much in the GC. 7 turn overs produced just 2 TD's.

Ok so if you want to say the GC wasn't amazing I will listen  to that argument (I personally thought it was fine overall) but how on earth do you call the WF great play calling? Really interested in hearing you justify that claim.

Lapo  seemed wildly inconsistent to me. At times he seemed to deserve the offensive guru label that the press loves to stick on him. Then the next moment he seemed to be way to cute. I think the "offensive guru " tag went to his head at times.Case in point the Sask game where he seemed to be trying to turn Strevs into a dropback passer. And wouldn't quit trying. I wish him all the best though. He OCed us to a Grey Cup.Thanks Lapo !

I will never forget the HC LaPo led 2011 Bombers driving the length of the field on the opening drive,  down to the 1 yard line, at home, sold out stadium, against a terrible Argos team. 

A

Kicked a field goal, even with Swaggerville D, field position, going with a decently strong wind, and home crowd to bail out the gamble.

He lost my confidence as a HC with that decision for good. That scared mentality is in his coaching DNA

We also found a way to lose that game.

Edited by Geebrr

23 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

As we suspected...

Lapo has many good qualities as a football man but I believe one of the quirks he had as a head coach I believe was control problems, as in not being open minded to other approaches, viewpoints that run counter to his, not wrong but different.

I wish him luck (except against us) and I sure hope he has learned to be more flexible and allow people to do their jobs that they have been hired to do.

46 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

As we suspected...

and most likely be his demise in the end...happy for him but he seems to me like the kind of coach who needs to focus on one..or the other and doing both overwhelms him..well it's what happened before...has he changed?..guess we will see..he won't have the pieces there to lean on that he did here

1 minute ago, Booch said:

and most likely be his demise in the end...happy for him but he seems to me like the kind of coach who needs to focus on one..or the other and doing both overwhelms him..well it's what happened before...has he changed?..guess we will see..he won't have the pieces there to lean on that he did here

Ottawa has a good field goal kicker, and so that will help when Lapo calls a three yard out on the 20 yard line on 2nd and 7.  5 times a game.

37 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Lapo  seemed wildly inconsistent to me. At times he seemed to deserve the offensive guru label that the press loves to stick on him. Then the next moment he seemed to be way to cute. I think the "offensive guru " tag went to his head at times.Case in point the Sask game where he seemed to be trying to turn Strevs into a dropback passer. And wouldn't quit trying. I wish him all the best though. He OCed us to a Grey Cup.Thanks Lapo !

you mean the LDC correct?  If so, yes that was maddening.

Happy he is getting another chance, but it seems like he is going to fall into the same trap again. His down fall is always his in game play call. If he could not micro manage the offense and let an OC run it, I think he'd be a really successful HC. Hes a great person and hes great at coaching players. He could be Mos 2.0 or better if he doesnt do the offensive play call full time.

I hope he figures it out and makes it work. Itll be interesting to see who, if any one he takes from us in FA. 

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ok so if you want to say the GC wasn't amazing I will listen  to that argument (I personally thought it was fine overall) but how on earth do you call the WF great play calling? Really interested in hearing you justify that claim.

probably a typo.  It's pretty obvious that the WSF against Calgary was a classic for our offence, the WF not so much...

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

There's the rub though.  What is attractive about Lapo is his OC work.  That's what anyone hiring him as head coach is buying.  Can he build and lead a team (including the coaching staff)?  Sure was terrible at it the last time he got a shot.  

33 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I will never forget the HC LaPo led 2011 Bombers driving the length of the field on the opening drive,  down to lake the 1 yard line, at home, sold out stadium, against  terrible Argos team.

Kicked a field goal, even with Swaggerville D, field position, and home crowd to bail out the gamble.

He lost my confidence as a HC with that decision for good. That scared mentality is in his coaching DNA

We also found a way to lose that game.

I was at the BC game after which Lapo was fired, sitting behind the Bomber bench.  Joey Elliott came off the field a few times yelling f-bombs and smashing his helmet in frustration because Lapo called a draw play on the 20 yard line, leading to yet another FG instead of a shot at a TD.  We found a way to lose that game too.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was at the BC game after which Lapo was fired, sitting behind the Bomber bench.  Joey Elliott came off the field a few times yelling f-bombs and smashing his helmet in frustration because Lapo called a draw play on the 20 yard line, leading to yet another FG instead of a shot at a TD.  We found a way to lose that game too.

Lapo has been, and always will be a notorious cautious overly safe coach..not prone to taking chances and risks...luckily the last few years he had a Harris..Medlock and a real good o-line to compensate for it, and squeeze the most out of the offence in terms of points..can't see that narrative changing, especially in his first bit as the new HC...He is going to want to minimize errors and turn overs and not give his team chances to screw up...could be a slow start there for them..

You could even see at times here the last year and a bit guys frustrated with play calls and the end result, and some guys loafing it at times as they knew they were just window dressing...and teams at times totally ignored our guys knowing there was not going to be a ball headed to them

Pierce's offence is going to come out strong, because teams will not be used to a lot of the knew wrinkles we are gonna show, or how guys are going to be used...This as well should have a huge impact on a Whitehead/Grant in the offence, and hopefully Woli

19 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I saw the same thing in Winnipeg ... can't remember who against but Elliott was pisssssed.     

I just remember several times it was 2nd and long and he would call a screen pass or hand the ball off to kick the safe field goal.  Elliott would then get pissed. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I saw the same thing in Winnipeg ... can't remember who against but Elliott was pisssssed.     

I just remember several times it was 2nd and long and he would call a screen pass or hand the ball off to kick the safe field goal.  Elliott would then get pissed. 

My favorite was the pass to Kito Poblah while he was standing still on the line of scrimmage.  Two defenders would be ready by the time the ball got there ready to smash him into the ground for a zero gain.  Yet we'd keep going back to it, over and over again.

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's the rub though.  What is attractive about Lapo is his OC work.  That's what anyone hiring him as head coach is buying.  Can he build and lead a team (including the coaching staff)?  Sure was terrible at it the last time he got a shot.  

Under the new coaches cap LaPo will not have the luxury of hiring the assistants he wants, here is a list of the coaches they employed last season.  I don't know which of these are still under contract.

Offensive Coaches