Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

So you don't think Demski and Wolitarsky are good receivers?  Or Peterman?

So you don't think the offence would be more dynamic with another deep threat like Whitehead, even as a DI?

Peterman is loved around here but, we wouldn't really miss his 120-150 yards a season.

Woli got 360 yards receiving. I doubt that kind of output would be hard for an import to replace or improve upon. Woli's passport is as important as his output.

Demski's hot and cold, but he really came into his own in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

So you don't think the offence would be more dynamic with another deep threat like Whitehead, even as a DI?

Peterman is loved around here but, we wouldn't really miss his 120-150 yards a season.

Woli got 360 yards receiving. I doubt that kind of output would be hard for an import to replace or improve upon. Woli's passport is as important as his output.

Demski's hot and cold, but he really came into his own in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs.

I do not think that any of our receivers were used to best advantage in LaPolice's pedestrian offence.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

A bit misleading yea, considering he didn't see the field much with Lapo's favor for Demski.

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Grant was available to the offense as a DI. If I recall correctly, the team went to him on their first offensive play in the Grey Cup game. 

We just didn't see much use of the DI on offense due to the Bombers' heavy focus on the run. Why use a DI when the primary receivers don't get targeted much themselves. 

Buck has been a coach here since 2014. He has worked with the running backs and wide receivers and has had 4 years to work under Lapo. Pretty much the career path of every OC. I think he is ready and am excited to see what he does. For those wanting an experienced OC, who would you want Chaodelaine? McAdoo?

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Pretty sure you ranted about Lapo's low-risk schemes and Nichols check downs - now you cherry pick negative receiving stats...

Funny how Whitehead is a 'deep threat' with 500 yards over the season but you criticize Demski who basically has the same stats and better YPC - sounds like you just want to complain about NIs...

I still say Woli at SB is 900-1000 yard receiver, Demski should be a consistent 600-700 guy plus running threat maybe more - I'll take that any day

Its also funny how you make it seem like the sky is falling because Kongbo - a first year rotational guy is going to the NFL... and who is actually saying we're not using a DI on offence... we did it all year with Nelson/Grant/Whitehead

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Buck has been a coach here since 2014. He has worked with the running backs and wide receivers and has had 4 years to work under Lapo. Pretty much the career path of every OC. I think he is ready and am excited to see what he does. For those wanting an experienced OC, who would you want Chaodelaine? McAdoo?

Or another round of Bellfool?

Lapo deserves another shot at hc...When he had the gig here it didn't work out too well....Certainly not the talent we have on the club today and as I recall not a happy dressing room...BUT the failure and his eventual firing definitely wasn't all on Paul....so good luck to him...Don't exactly like how Desjardins operates...he    seems like a cut throat type of gm...just my opinion....Lapolice sure knows our players and staff...it's strength and it's weaknesses (not too many of those) so I expect him to do some schmoozing of our players and staff...How successful he'll be at convincing someone to come on over to the capitol is anyone's guess...I do know one thing and that he is going to need a quarterback....What the Redblacks have at present in their stable ain't gonna cut it soooooo who does he go after...I'm going to take a shot and say it most likely will be Arbuckle...He showed a lot of promise but playing with the caliber of guys he had in Cal. could have made him look better than he actually is....I think Lapo will turn to Nichols IF we cut him loose...Masoli 'maybe' but IF the story out of Ham. is true that they want to go with Masoli as their no 1...that would make Dane Evans a qb. Paul would definitely look at..In any event it's going to be another off season of significant movement...Walters better start talking serious with our fa's with Lapo on the loose

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Lapo’s strength is taking his best players and building his game plan around them . In Winnipeg it was Harris and the line so unlike any other offence in the past 20 years it was a run first offence. Have to give him credit for going against the grain.

I would disagree...  I found with the receivers that he rarely ever used the strength of each receiver.   I found the opposite where he tried making players fit his system then fitting the system to the strengths of the receivers.

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Pretty sure you ranted about Lapo's low-risk schemes and Nichols check downs - now you cherry pick negative receiving stats...

Funny how Whitehead is a 'deep threat' with 500 yards over the season but you criticize Demski who basically has the same stats and better YPC - sounds like you just want to complain about NIs...

I still say Woli at SB is 900-1000 yard receiver, Demski should be a consistent 600-700 guy plus running threat maybe more - I'll take that any day

Its also funny how you make it seem like the sky is falling because Kongbo - a first year rotational guy is going to the NFL... and who is actually saying we're not using a DI on offence... we did it all year with Nelson/Grant/Whitehead

So much fake news. So many alternative facts. I hardly know where to start.

I didn't rant against PLAP. Seems like you're confusing me with 17 🤣. No, I don't like Nichols check downs. I prefer Collaros' escapability and completions to keep drives going. None of that changes the real facts that are the stats nor does it make them cherry picked.

Whitehead's biggest asset is his speed. That's what makes him a deep threat, not the 500 or so yards he got in spot playing time.

Demski is hot and cold and he came into his own at the end of the year and the playoffs. You can call that criticism if you want. I call it observation. FTR: That doesn't mean that I don't know that Whitehead also runs hot and cold or that I'd replace Demski on the offence.

Say what you want about Woli and Demski. The stats tell a different story. You're just overvaluing NI's. 

I never said the sky was falling because Kongbo is getting an NFL shot. I said good for him and good for the Bombers to let him.

I don't want to go back and check to check if we used a DI on offence all season, so I'll give that one to you.

using stats to judge receivers in lapo's offense, not a great idea.

Wolitarsky had 650ish yards last season, Demski has shown he can put up about the same, Peterman hasn't had the oppotunity to play a lot but every time he does he contributes...

it is all about usage with this team. yes Lapo would spread the ball around to a lot of targets, but generally that means one catch for a bunch of different guys. Harris still got the lions share of the plays then the other one or two guys Lapo decided were going to get the ball the rest of the time. It was Demski a lot in the playoffs hence his good play off performance

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

So much fake news. So many alternative facts. I hardly know where to start.

I didn't rant against PLAP. Seems like you're confusing me with 17 🤣. No, I don't like Nichols check downs. I prefer Collaros' escapability and completions to keep drives going. None of that changes the real facts that are the stats nor does it make them cherry picked.

Whitehead's biggest asset is his speed. That's what makes him a deep threat, not the 500 or so yards he got in spot playing time.

Demski is hot and cold and he came into his own at the end of the year and the playoffs. You can call that criticism if you want. I call it observation. FTR: That doesn't mean that I don't know that Whitehead also runs hot and cold or that I'd replace Demski on the offence.

Say what you want about Woli and Demski. The stats tell a different story. You're just overvaluing NI's. 

I never said the sky was falling because Kongbo is getting an NFL shot. I said good for him and good for the Bombers to let him.

I don't want to go back and check to check if we used a DI on offence all season, so I'll give that one to you.

Whitehead gets installed as our primary SB and it’s ‘spot’ duty

Demski makes our biggest plays and he’s hot/cold

speaking of fake news...

I don't know how people haven't clued in about Lapo yet.. what the guy does is identify his "star" players and he feeds the the ball over and over and over again. 

Works great when you got Milt Stegalls and Charlie Roberts or Andrew Harris type players. You know, the guys who can make plays when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming to them, but it's also limiting because it makes for a pretty simple game plan by the opposing defense. 

I'm no expert,  but Peterman seemed to catch whatever that went his way and would grind hard for those extra few yards.   He played very physical,  similar to Wolly.   This is why I would assume either of those guys at SB would make more sense since this is where they could easily help us get those tight window first downs. 

I never understood why a guy like Whitehead who is all speed would line up to only run 5 yards and then get crushed or pushed around and not make the completion.   I'm not sure if Whitehead was lazy or lacks talent,  but my Madden 95 knowledge would  be to send the fastest guy deep in a one on one situation and lob the ball to him with the assumption that he will out run the coverage? I'd think higher rate of success doing that in comparison for him to catch the ball and deke and outrun a bunch of guys who only a few feet away?    Hamilton (aside from the Grey Cup) seemed to find ways to get Banks open down field with his speed.

Edited by Brandon

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't know how people haven't clued in about Lapo yet.. what the guy does is identify his "star" players and he feeds the the ball over and over and over again. 

Works great when you got Milt Stegalls and Charlie Roberts or Andrew Harris type players. You know, the guys who can make plays when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming to them, but it's also limiting because it makes for a pretty simple game plan by the opposing defense. 

Harris has really suffered in the Lapo offence. 

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Congrats to PLAP. He's likely learned a lot since his last shot at HC. Hopefully that means he'll be a better HC this time around. Expect Ottawa to bring in a vet QB like Masoli, Collaros or Nichols, cuz PLAP's seen how hard it is to win with poor QB's.

I'd rather bring in an experienced OC than give the job to Buck. Closely watching PLAP be an OC isn't the same as being an OC. Buck has zero OC experience and he'll likely fall back to PLAP's offence because that's the one he knows best. More of the same, when folks around here blamed PLAP for all kinds of problems, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

We're going to find out just how much PLAP meant to the team. I wonder if we're expecting the new OC to start 6 NI's and not have any DI's to work with.

Buck has been heavily involved in the game plan creation the last few years..along with play creation..he will be fine and who's to say a lot of what we did wasnt devised by him..

Creating and running an offense isnt difficult and all teams basically run the same basic stuff with variations and subtle differences..and things keyed to players on roster.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You could say that for a lot (not all) of coaches of different teams. Just insert different start player names. The point is putting the player in the right position to succeed. Lapo was hot and cold with that.

40 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Whitehead gets installed as our primary SB and it’s ‘spot’ duty

Demski makes our biggest plays and he’s hot/cold

speaking of fake news...

Demski played the whole year. Whitehead didn't. That's what I mean by spot duty.

Making big plays in some games and not doing much in others is the definition of hot/cold.

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

Harris has really suffered in the Lapo offence. 

you notice how I lumped Harris in with the guys who make it work cause they are good enough to beat people when they know it's coming right? 

You notice I also said he feeds the ball to those guys a crap ton right? 

Andrew Harris being the focal point was always going to get big numbers. It's the other guys who get **** all for numbers. 

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm no expert,  but Peterman seemed to catch whatever that went his way and would grind hard for those extra few yards.   He played very physical,  similar to Wolly.   This is why I would assume either of those guys at SB would make more sense since this is where they could easily help us get those tight window first downs. 

I never understood why a guy like Whitehead who is all speed would line up to only run 5 yards and then get crushed or pushed around and not make the completion.   I'm not sure if Whitehead was lazy or lacks talent,  but my Madden 95 knowledge would  be to send the fastest guy deep in a one on one situation and lob the ball to him with the assumption that he will out run the coverage? I'd think higher rate of success doing that in comparison for him to catch the ball and deke and outrun a bunch of guys who only a few feet away?    Hamilton (aside from the Grey Cup) seemed to find ways to get Banks open down field with his speed.

I think Lapo wanted whitehead to be another Weston Dressler. Trouble is he's nowhere near as polished a receiver as Dressler was.