Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lapo cant just take people..we have to agree to let em talk..and doubt we would..and why would buck leave here..where he is entrenched.. in a good squad too, to somewhere across the country for same position..and a poorer team..never happen

I guess it depends if any of the coaches aren't under contract. 

1 hour ago, White Out said:

I guess I bid him best of luck and thank him for service. I find it a bit bizarre people are so reverent about him considering our offense was fairly pedestrian. We finished dead last in passing, and if not for our running game, which sure as hell wasn't anything he was responsible for, and our defense, we weren't doing anything in the playoffs.

I’m not a big LaPolice guy as far as our OC spot goes but to say he wasn’t responsible on some level for our running success is up there with the dumbest stuff ever written on this forum.  

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m not a big LaPolice guy as far as our OC spot goes but to say he wasn’t responsible on some level for our running success is up there with the dumbest stuff ever written on this forum.  

I would agree. I suspect that Harris has lower  numbers all around going forward. Demski too. Lapo just loves guys like those two, however I would expect the rest of the receivers to have a  ump in the numbers.

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

LaPo came under harsh criticism here by me & others on a daily basis but this playoff season when it counted he guided our offense brilliantly. He was a huge reason why we won the Grey Cup. As I criticized him then I can sure can  give him credit where credit is due in winning our championship. I wish him well in Ottawa. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

50 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

That's what I was wondering. Still think it was his biggest failing when he was our HC. Trying to do too much at once.

Well he's an offensive coach, when you hire him that's what you get. 

Pet peeve of mine in the wire story on this, "bench boss" as a term for a football coach.  That's a hockey term ugh.

Congrats to PLAP. He's likely learned a lot since his last shot at HC. Hopefully that means he'll be a better HC this time around. Expect Ottawa to bring in a vet QB like Masoli, Collaros or Nichols, cuz PLAP's seen how hard it is to win with poor QB's.

I'd rather bring in an experienced OC than give the job to Buck. Closely watching PLAP be an OC isn't the same as being an OC. Buck has zero OC experience and he'll likely fall back to PLAP's offence because that's the one he knows best. More of the same, when folks around here blamed PLAP for all kinds of problems, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

We're going to find out just how much PLAP meant to the team. I wonder if we're expecting the new OC to start 6 NI's and not have any DI's to work with.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I think if you swapped out lapo with almost any other offensive coordinator in the league we still in the Grey Cup.

Call it dumb all you want. Our offense was totally mediocre. 

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

. I wonder if we're expecting the new OC to start 6 NI's and not have any DI's to work with.

I would imagine he’ll still have the Grey Cup MOC / MOP at running back, and some pretty solid nationals on the interior OL. Add a perennial all - star at the left tackle position - he should be only moderately handicapped. 

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

I think if you swapped out lapo with almost any other offensive coordinator in the league we still in the Grey Cup.

Call it dumb all you want. Our offense was totally mediocre. 

It was the ideal playoff offence - just beat up the opposing D every time you step on the field.  Run the ball with authority and take no prisoners. Players don’t play that way by accident, they don’t have each others’ backs by accident either. 

I think it will be fine for us even though Lapo is a good offensive co-ordinator.  Buck could potentially take things to the next level. He's learned the system and collected as much information from LaPolice as he could. My one knock on Lapo is that he's not really a QB developer in my mind.  He's had all the success he's had when he's had an experienced quarterback. Unlike Buck he's a guy who didn't really play the game or at least not at any high level. Buck played the game and in his day was a pretty good QB himself. I think if you combine his experience as a player where he has a natural edge over Lapo and everything he's gleaned as an assistant he has the potential to take things to the next level.  Only time will tell though.  I have to feel like there still was some bad blood between Lapo and Bombers management for not allowing him to interview for the Riders job because he basically took the job that nobody would have wanted. Going to Ottawa an organization who allowed a GM to put the head coach in an unwinnable situation and then they chose Desjardins over a good coach in Campbell.  They are becoming the new Montreal the way i see it. 

Wasn't always complimentary of Lapo, thought he over complicated things sometimes and our offense always had trouble finding that killer instinct and I think passive play calls was definitely a part of that. It was clear that Collaros elevated the whole offense once he came in so I'm not sure how much of that  was on Nichols vs Lapo. 

That being said, the offense played well enough to win on the road and in the GC, all against the best defenses so he deserves credit for good game planning there. I still believe he's a good OC, but not as irreplaceable as some seem to suggest. 

Buck will need time to develop but he's had some time to watch and in sure by the end was helping Lapo.