Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wanna-b-fanboy

2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

Recommended Posts

Nah, it's not "******* millennials".

Nobody's saying "humph! I don't commercials!" They suck, but yes they bring in money to produce shows that are essentially free to listen to.

Ads would be fine but the volume on OB is out of control and this is not new.  As has been said, I haven't bothered with them in about 10 years.

Edited by Y2C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Y2C said:

Nah, it's not "******* millennials".

Nobody's saying "humph! I don't commercials!" They suck, but yes they bring in money to produce shows that are essentially free to listen to.

Ads would be fine but the volume on OB is out of control and this is not new.  As has been said, I haven't bothered with them in about 10 years.

I remember driving home from the lake on a Monday evening of the August long weekend back in the mid 80's. Bob Irving & Jack Matheson were doing the Football Hotline back then. I settled in to listen & for crissakes, all I heard from Bob was "Let's take a break" over & over & over. There were all those commercials we hate & there were as many back then as there are now, but also breaks for the news at the half hour. Six or 7 minutes of content & then commercials. I turned it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Y2C said:

Nah, it's not "******* millennials".

Nobody's saying "humph! I don't commercials!" They suck, but yes they bring in money to produce shows that are essentially free to listen to.

Ads would be fine but the volume on OB is out of control and this is not new.  As has been said, I haven't bothered with them in about 10 years.

They have the number of breaks (not all commercials) because their licence dictates that they have to have a certain number of news breaks, etc. each hour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well the shows are available in podcast form after the fact, so all the ******* millennials expecting access to everything as soon as they want it and for free, can have it. But for me, the content you get from CJOB stuff is worth the ad breaks. The only thing shitty about CJOB stuff is the phone-in stuff. **** are the "fan" phone ins brutal. That's when I shut it off. But if it's Irving interviewing someone or bullshitting with co-hosts, then it's golden... 

I’m a busy guy. I’ll wait for the podcast and save myself an hour.

******* Boomers with all their free time. Working their 4 hours at Home Depot twice a week, going grocery shopping during the day, having their stupid afternoon naps and going for their 3pm suppers at Perkins. No wonder they have nothing to do after 4pm. Lol 😉

Edited by Dirty30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Well the shows are available in podcast form after the fact, so all the ******* millennials expecting access to everything as soon as they want it and for free, can have it. But for me, the content you get from CJOB stuff is worth the ad breaks. The only thing shitty about CJOB stuff is the phone-in stuff. **** are the "fan" phone ins brutal. That's when I shut it off. But if it's Irving interviewing someone or bullshitting with co-hosts, then it's golden... 

This is a strange old man rant for someone who I'm pretty sure is not that old... :) 

You're saying you prefer listening to an hour of content with an hour of commercials mixed in... rather than just an hour of straight content?? Strange position to take... Also, like the podcast, CJOB is also free... I may be a "****** millenial" but I also have two young kids and a full time job... which leaves me with about 20 minutes of free time per day... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This is a strange old man rant for someone who I'm pretty sure is not that old... :) 

You're saying you prefer listening to an hour of content with an hour of commercials mixed in... rather than just an hour of straight content?? Strange position to take... Also, like the podcast, CJOB is also free... I may be a "****** millenial" but I also have two young kids and a full time job... which leaves me with about 20 minutes of free time per day... 

Well la di da... look at Mr. Fancy with all his free time. 

 

Noeller is in the biz. Of course he likes ads, they pay his bills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dirty30 said:

I’m a busy guy. I’ll wait for the podcast and save myself an hour.

******* Boomers with all their free time. Working their 4 hours at Home Depot twice a week, going grocery shopping during the day, having their stupid afternoon naps and going for their 3pm suppers at Perkins. No wonder they have nothing to do after 4pm. Lol 😉

This sounds like the railroad lately too. Am I a Boomer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, in fairness, i'm only 39, but old-template radio pays my mortgage, so I'll always go to bat for it. But I'm also a huge fan of CJOB and have been since I was a teenager. (I have forever been a senior) I used to listen to Peter Warren call in stuff while I was working my summer job in my late teens. I worship Knuckles. During CFL months, the Knucks-Tait-Brown pre-game on CJOB is maybe the thing I look forward to most each and every week. It's just fantastic radio. My wife, who is all of 32, has become a massive fan of the full CJOB broadcast, and sitting around listening to the post-game interviews with players has become one of her favourite things.

Okay, old man ranting done for now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes, in fairness, i'm only 39, but old-template radio pays my mortgage, so I'll always go to bat for it. But I'm also a huge fan of CJOB and have been since I was a teenager. (I have forever been a senior) I used to listen to Peter Warren call in stuff while I was working my summer job in my late teens. I worship Knuckles. During CFL months, the Knucks-Tait-Brown pre-game on CJOB is maybe the thing I look forward to most each and every week. It's just fantastic radio. My wife, who is all of 32, has become a massive fan of the full CJOB broadcast, and sitting around listening to the post-game interviews with players has become one of her favourite things.

Okay, old man ranting done for now....

Understandable.

I have switched to 1290 for pre and post game.

I don't really have interest in the mostly pre-recorded interviews CJOB does, and the too many ads for both of those as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Understandable.

I have switched to 1290 for pre and post game.

I don't really have interest in the mostly pre-recorded interviews CJOB does, and the too many ads for both of those as well.

Walby is great....the rest of it......no thank you. Especially DB....he's trying, God love him, but he's just not ready yet. Respect his passion for sure, but.....nope. Westwood has kind of turned into a cartoon character, I feel. 

Edited by Noeller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Walby is great....the rest of it......no thank you. Especially DB....he's trying, God love him, but he's just not ready yet. Respect his passion for sure, but.....nope. Westwood has kind of turned into a cartoon character, I feel. 

Agree with all of that.

DB isn't ready, but he brings a level of actually following social media to the show 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes, in fairness, i'm only 39, but old-template radio pays my mortgage, so I'll always go to bat for it. But I'm also a huge fan of CJOB and have been since I was a teenager. (I have forever been a senior) I used to listen to Peter Warren call in stuff while I was working my summer job in my late teens. I worship Knuckles. During CFL months, the Knucks-Tait-Brown pre-game on CJOB is maybe the thing I look forward to most each and every week. It's just fantastic radio. My wife, who is all of 32, has become a massive fan of the full CJOB broadcast, and sitting around listening to the post-game interviews with players has become one of her favourite things.

Okay, old man ranting done for now....

Take away the Bomber content and CJOB is an utter dung heap.  I can feel myself getting stupider by the second listening to the other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Take away the Bomber content and CJOB is an utter dung heap.  I can feel myself getting stupider by the second listening to the other stuff.

I haven't had the chance to listen to Hal in the afternoons, but I do enjoy their Morning Show. Living in AB, I don't get to listen as often as I'd like, but I'll occasionally tune in online or via RadioPlayerCanada app, and I've really enjoyed Mackling/McGarry/McNabb when I've listened...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I haven't had the chance to listen to Hal in the afternoons, but I do enjoy their Morning Show. Living in AB, I don't get to listen as often as I'd like, but I'll occasionally tune in online or via RadioPlayerCanada app, and I've really enjoyed Mackling/McGarry/McNabb when I've listened...

I enjoy Hal in the afternoons. He's definitely come a long way since his bar gig days at The Oak. Most of his topics, discussions, etc are mostly puff pieces, but lets face it, he needs to pander to his listeners which are probably like 70% geriatrics. But im still a listener when im in the car and im 41. Hal is like a comfy sweater. He is after all the 34th Greatest Canadian! Right in between Gordon Lightfoot and Laura Secord lol.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

BJ and Hal in the mornings was gold, MBB, gold.

Oh man, I still remember one morning listening to them and I was literally laughing so hard in my car I had to pull over. It started with Hal having a cold and he had a lozenge in his mouth. So he's talking and all of a sudden goes "Oh I just swallowed a fishermans friend", and instantly BJ goes "yeah I heard that about you" and then Hal starts laughing uncontrollably while BJ just keeps going. "Was he salty?", "Geeze I heard jobs were hard to come by on the east coast but common man", etc lol. It was just BJ throwing out one-liners with Hal laughing uncontrollably barely able to breathe. I had tears running down my face. Those guys were hilarious together.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Agree with all of that.

DB isn't ready, but he brings a level of actually following social media to the show 

Both DB's are annoying as **** as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure Brown just likes to hear himself talk. Or as he would say..."I do enjoy the sound produced when I force air out of my lungs and over my vocal chords then eventually out of my mouth. They seem to form a solid base which can be relied upon when trying to communicate with another human being who is equally interested in the topic I'm discussing."

Edited by Bigblue204

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...