2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

Lawler Setting Sights High For Sophomore Campaign With Bombers

Lawler said that Darvin Adams and Drew Wolitarsky both helped him out immensely when it came to learning the waggle and other nuances of the Canadian game along with the playbook.

...“It was just infectious. There was something in the air and it felt like if you were a Winnipeg Blue Bomber, we knew that we were going to win and we knew what was going to work from that preparation.”

...Not many people are able to achieve that in their football career. I feel very grateful to be able to call myself a Grey Cup champion. Now, I hold myself to a standard and I know what it takes to be there. I’m going to hold it very highly. I’m a father, I’m a husband, I’m a Grey Cup champion.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/06/13/lawler-setting-sights-high-sophomore-campaign-bombers/

On 2020-06-12 at 7:26 PM, Tracker said:

He has the size, fights for the ball and has breakaway speed if the clips mean anything. What the heck, if the Bombers have been watching him for 4 years he's gotta be worth a look.

There were a few too many push-offs in that video.  The package looks good but a couple of those would have been called in the CFL.  

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He forgot the 8 sacks and the five Willie Jefferson pass knock downs lol

if Hammy put up 30 points, I'm thinking the D wasn't anything to write home about......

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/16/cfl-staff-players-losing-faith-in-leagues-leadership-under-randy-ambrosie/

Dunk fueling the fire...  but the Global draft thing is a pretty good point

This was really interesting to me: 

One source described how the CFL operates: “Ambrosie, Scott Mitchell and Wade Miller run the league. Presidents in the CFL are not accountable. Where are they in all this? How come their salaries are not disclosed?”

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This was really interesting to me: 

One source described how the CFL operates: “Ambrosie, Scott Mitchell and Wade Miller run the league. Presidents in the CFL are not accountable. Where are they in all this? How come their salaries are not disclosed?”

I'm fine with Mitchell and Miller tbh - they're pretty much a 'how to' guide on running franchises

33 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I'll just say this you can't tell the players they need to have a cap and then have team spend what ever they want on coaches/player personnel . Plus coach and player personnel are getting paid right now. Add to the fact their contracts are guaranteed unlike players. 

You certainly can if you tie the cap to revenue, like in the NHL. The teams would have to manage themselves in that scenario. That would mean that CFL players would take a much bigger risk though without guaranteed contracts and shaky finances of some of the teams.

I find it difficult to support the league cutting coaches and their salaries when they let some teams go over the cap unpunished. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

I find it difficult to support the league cutting coaches and their salaries when they let some teams go over the cap unpunished. 

There is something peculiar with the Argo situation that is confounding to many around the league. We, of course, don’t know, and may never find out the”why” behind it.

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The NHL is talking about reducing their salary cap, and MLB is trying to negotiate salary reductions as well. the CFL has little wiggle room.

Big ,big money days drawing to an end...Some of those contracts were outrageous in any event...Fans are going to be hit in the pocket book hard and you could see this coming a mile away

On 2020-06-11 at 5:14 PM, Noeller said:

fwiw, I'm a really big fan of Rasheed Bailey and Kenny Lawler. I know we've said it before, but I think both of those guys could really be something. 

delayed response to this... I agree with you and think they are both very good receivers... but on top of that, they are true Mike O'Shea guys... they take their role and give 100% on every play... they put the team success ahead of their personal success... when Bailey scored that TD in the GC (which we all know was called back) all he did was celebrate that they're going to win... not his personal accolades...

Another quick story... after the parade, my friend and I went our separate ways and he happened to run across Lawler doing an impromptu autograph session... Lawler had a friend there saying "it's cold, let's go" (obviously paraphrasing)... and Lawler refused to leave saying the weather was fine and it's all about the fans... he wouldn't leave until they all got an autograph...

These are the kind of players we want on this team...

On 2020-06-16 at 2:54 PM, Floyd said:

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/16/cfl-staff-players-losing-faith-in-leagues-leadership-under-randy-ambrosie/

Dunk fueling the fire...  but the Global draft thing is a pretty good point

There is a lot of sensationalist bullcrap in that article. I would count that maybe half of that holds any merit. But half of it being true isn't great for the league, either.

It mentions Wade Miller running the league, and in the same breath talks about presidents not taking any paycuts.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/16/bombers-cut-payroll-wade-miller-kyle-walters-mike-oshea-included/ 

He mentions the Riders budget in how they bring in 30 million dollars in revenues and how they ended up losing money. Don't the Riders disclose their finances just like us? It's not like 30 million goes directly in their pockets. There are costs. The kicker was when they spent 2 million dollars on the Grey Cup that didn't happen. The margins in the CFL are fairly thin.

If you're going to throw a bunch of **** out there, you might want to make sure a whole bunch of it isn't proven false.

Edited by BBlink

On 2020-06-15 at 5:16 PM, Tracker said:

I wish that TSN would rerun the good games from last season. Last week, I watched the Alouette/TigerCat game. It was as dull as dishwater, but.....I enjoyed it in spite of myself.

I've been saying this since they released the schedule of the games. Most are super boring games. It's like TSN can't help but **** up most things CFL.