2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Maybe by the time the season starts Chris Streveler will be making his way back to Winnipeg. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Naylor and lalji are fine reporters, but as far as experts on the game, no chance in hell. They're media guys not football guys.

Lalji is a successful high school coach in Vancouver & has helped get some Lower Mainland players scholarships to US colleges so he does know his stuff. Naylor? He doesn't seem to know that during the CFL Draft he should have displayed  a CFL helmet instead of an NFL one. 

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

REALLY...its about time to be honest...training and team activities save for tackling one another is easily managed with appropriate safety measures...film work...weights...skelly....if people can shop...go to dentist..chiro..etc and exercise safety measures..certainly pro athletes and franchises can do the same when it's their livelyhood and bottom lines financially at stake

Lets actually be honest. No blocking. No tackling. DB's must stay 2 meters away from receivers at all times. Same holds true for LB's and RB's, well everyone for that matter, so it's 2 yards between the OL and the DL. All players must stay 1 meter apart at all times, including meetings, huddles, and all other teaching. That's just at practice.

In an actual game, there is no way to play football if the players have to social distance. QB drops back to pass. No one can get within a meter of him or tackle him. He throws to a receiver who is at least a meter away from the nearest DB. As long as he catches the ball, it's a TD because no one is allowed to tackle him or, just hand it off to the RB that no one can touch. TD on every play, but wait... No offence needed because all Kick offs would be returned for a TD or kicked out of bounds, which would result in a re-kick.

I'm talking about just now getting teams together..to practice..condition..learn playbook...you can run drills..practice assignments...even run skelly with minimal contact..and like the conditions state...brief contact is allowed..or however it was worded..so 0ne on Ones are easily done with a brief bump and run...pass break up..etc...people are too hung up on just being close to someone is gonna make you sick...and if all the participants are cleared as covid- free..and are not mingling among the "unknowns" out there there is no way to catch it...it's not floating around out there all willy nilly looking for hosts..its transmitted with prolonged physical contact..this has been proven and stated on all health authority websites and news briefs..

I

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Lets actually be honest. No blocking. No tackling. DB's must stay 2 meters away from receivers at all times. Same holds true for LB's and RB's, well everyone for that matter, so it's 2 yards between the OL and the DL. All players must stay 1 meter apart at all times, including meetings, huddles, and all other teaching. That's just at practice.

In an actual game, there is no way to play football if the players have to social distance. QB drops back to pass. No one can get within a meter of him or tackle him. He throws to a receiver who is at least a meter away from the nearest DB. As long as he catches the ball, it's a TD because no one is allowed to tackle him or, just hand it off to the RB that no one can touch. TD on every play, but wait... No offence needed because all Kick offs would be returned for a TD or kicked out of bounds, which would result in a re-kick.

Ya, except no one is saying that.  Poor trolling attempt there.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Really??  Holy ****, you've cracked this thing wide open!

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm talking about just now getting teams together..to practice..condition..learn playbook...you can run drills..practice assignments...even run skelly with minimal contact..and like the conditions state...brief contact is allowed..or however it was worded..so 0ne on Ones are easily done with a brief bump and run...pass break up..etc...people are too hung up on just being close to someone is gonna make you sick...and if all the participants are cleared as covid- free..and are not mingling among the "unknowns" out there there is no way to catch it...it's not floating around out there all willy nilly looking for hosts..its transmitted with prolonged physical contact..this has been proven and stated on all health authority websites and news briefs..

I

So much misinformation.

Being covid free when you test, doesn't mean being covid free forever. You're not cleared as covid free.

Every time you go out, or your family goes out, or anyone you come in contact with goes out, you can catch it. Even if the players were in lock down, the cleaning staff, the food services staff, the laundry staff, the equipment staff, the coaches, the assistants, etc. won't be locked down. Any one of them could bring covid into the quarantine zone. That's how covid got into care homes.

Putting a lot of people together is how "super-spreading events" or disease clusters happen. It's how how covid spread in the Alberta meat processing industry and how it would spread if anyone brought it in from the outside in the CFL. In that case the whole team would have to go back into 14 day self isolation and give up 2 games in the process. 

Covid-19 is not transmitted through "prolonged physical contact". The CDC's site says: "The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)." The Mayo Clinic and Web MD agree with the CDC and add a bunch of other useful information about spreading Covid. None of them talk about so called 'prolonged physical contact" In football, all the players are within 6 feet of one another for most of the game and I'd argue that 3 or 4 hours is prolonged exposure anyway.

Covid-19 is floating out there. It's also on surfaces where it can live for up to 3 days. No, it's not 'looking for hosts' because it can't look for anything. It is waiting for hosts to come in contact with it. It will then infect them and no it doesn't matter if you're young or fit. Covid doesn't 'know' any of that. Young folks do have the highest survival rate. Because they can fight the virus, they are more likely to continue to work when they are infected, which in turn makes it more likely that they can pass it on to others who don't have as high a survival rate.

Football players aren't like store clerks. They can't hide behind Plexiglas partitions. The can't social distance. They can't just walk quickly by other people and turn their heads away. Players are constantly in very close contact with other players. Therefore, players should wear masks at all times and no, not the crappy home made ones that only stop 5% of the transmission. The professional grade ones that stop 95% of the transmission.

Manitoba allows Bombers to resume training, practising amid COVID-19 pandemic

The following guidelines should be followed:

• Continue to offer virtual instruction or training where possible
• Individuals must use the self-screening tool before reporting to work and should stay home when ill
• Individuals must be screened for symptoms prior to participation each day of the activity, and are not allowed to participate if they are ill with COVID-19 symptoms
• If indoors, hand hygiene stations should be placed at the entrance and strategically throughout the facility
• Shared equipment must be cleaned frequently. This can be done by participants, but staff should ensure this is being done regularly
• Individuals are given information on social distancing. Indoor facilities must post signs indicating physical distancing guidelines
• Ensure enhanced cleaning of indoor facilities, particularly washrooms
• Encouraging individuals to shower at home and limit use of locker area
• Removing any common use items from locker rooms
• Posting signage for guidance on shower area use to maintain physical distancing
• If locker rooms are used, consider modifying their use in order to maintain physical distancing
• As well, a disinfectant spray or wipes should be available for participants to disinfect locker contact surfaces before and after use
• Enhanced and frequent cleaning and disinfection of locker rooms will be required
• Areas of congregation (e.g. team benches, pool edges) will require creative solutions to adhere to physical distancing guidelines. This can be done in consultation with provincial and national sport-specific COVID-19 guidance, where applicable

The Bombers released a team statement following the announcement from the province:

“We are encouraged by today’s news that professional sports facilities are permitted to reopen in MB as per guidance and direction of public health officials. We will however wait for final confirmation from CFL to allow teams to open their facilities.”

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

So much misinformation.

Being covid free when you test, doesn't mean being covid free forever. You're not cleared as covid free.

Every time you go out, or your family goes out, or anyone you come in contact with goes out, you can catch it. Even if the players were in lock down, the cleaning staff, the food services staff, the laundry staff, the equipment staff, the coaches, the assistants, etc. won't be locked down. Any one of them could bring covid into the quarantine zone. That's how covid got into care homes.

Putting a lot of people together is how "super-spreading events" or disease clusters happen. It's how how covid spread in the Alberta meat processing industry and how it would spread if anyone brought it in from the outside in the CFL. In that case the whole team would have to go back into 14 day self isolation and give up 2 games in the process. 

Covid-19 is not transmitted through "prolonged physical contact". The CDC's site says: "The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)." The Mayo Clinic and Web MD agree with the CDC and add a bunch of other useful information about spreading Covid. None of them talk about so called 'prolonged physical contact" In football, all the players are within 6 feet of one another for most of the game and I'd argue that 3 or 4 hours is prolonged exposure anyway.

Covid-19 is floating out there. It's also on surfaces where it can live for up to 3 days. No, it's not 'looking for hosts' because it can't look for anything. It is waiting for hosts to come in contact with it. It will then infect them and no it doesn't matter if you're young or fit. Covid doesn't 'know' any of that. Young folks do have the highest survival rate. Because they can fight the virus, they are more likely to continue to work when they are infected, which in turn makes it more likely that they can pass it on to others who don't have as high a survival rate.

Football players aren't like store clerks. They can't hide behind Plexiglas partitions. The can't social distance. They can't just walk quickly by other people and turn their heads away. Players are constantly in very close contact with other players. Therefore, players should wear masks at all times and no, not the crappy home made ones that only stop 5% of the transmission. The professional grade ones that stop 95% of the transmission.

do you assume everyone to be basically mentally incompetent...or just plain ignorant to things?

Of course that doesn't mean you are cleared forever...no poop Sherlock...But if you don't have it...and don't go out and about ( which would surely be restrictions on players as they have no need to..they are here to play ball and stay symptom free) you will not get it....and if that has to come down to players keeping their own dorm room clean...and only eat in the team facility...then so be it..they are grown men wanting to make a team and breaking rules..like a curfew could be reason for dismisal (cut)

Its pretty easy to keep a team quarantined ..and under strict control....obviously you have never been in a pro camp..as that is basically what you do..get up...meet...get served breakfast..practice....meet..train if you have the energy...eat again..go back to your dorm room and rest and study...guys aren't going out...trust me and the guys over my experience who were out and about were generally first on a bus outta town.

As for football players...where did I mention in a game??..oh yeah...nowhere....read before your usual inclination to argue and bicker..and yes..transmisson is 99.9% from close..prolonged contact with an infected person...and even then they have to be spewwing a vehicle out of their body for infecting...case of the matter...for teams to start some sort of a camp...training/conditioning is an easy task...with less chance of an infection than joe average stepping out to the store..flopping around a park...and everywhere else that has opened up...If you seriously think a player in a quarantined camp is gonna jeopardize himself..or the team..or the process in general you are very misguided...and yeah..the PA would approve a strict set of conditions to start up..as they wanna get paid..and from guys I know and talk to, are all chomping at bit to do so

On 2020-05-19 at 7:54 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lalji is a successful high school coach in Vancouver & has helped get some Lower Mainland players scholarships to US colleges so he does know his stuff. Naylor? He doesn't seem to know that during the CFL Draft he should have displayed  a CFL helmet instead of an NFL one. 

His back ground and Sanchez too. No other professional league in any sport would do something like that. Absolutely brutal and I hope they got a tongue lashing from the CFL for doing so. If any of my employees (Not that I have a lot) were out there promoting another business/borderline competitor, during a huge event, they wouldn't be working for long.

48 minutes ago, Booch said:

do you assume everyone to be basically mentally incompetent...or just plain ignorant to things?

Of course that doesn't mean you are cleared forever...no poop Sherlock...But if you don't have it...and don't go out and about ( which would surely be restrictions on players as they have no need to..they are here to play ball and stay symptom free) you will not get it....and if that has to come down to players keeping their own dorm room clean...and only eat in the team facility...then so be it..they are grown men wanting to make a team and breaking rules..like a curfew could be reason for dismisal (cut)

Its pretty easy to keep a team quarantined ..and under strict control....obviously you have never been in a pro camp..as that is basically what you do..get up...meet...get served breakfast..practice....meet..train if you have the energy...eat again..go back to your dorm room and rest and study...guys aren't going out...trust me and the guys over my experience who were out and about were generally first on a bus outta town.

As for football players...where did I mention in a game??..oh yeah...nowhere....read before your usual inclination to argue and bicker..and yes..transmisson is 99.9% from close..prolonged contact with an infected person...and even then they have to be spewwing a vehicle out of their body for infecting...case of the matter...for teams to start some sort of a camp...training/conditioning is an easy task...with less chance of an infection than joe average stepping out to the store..flopping around a park...and everywhere else that has opened up...If you seriously think a player in a quarantined camp is gonna jeopardize himself..or the team..or the process in general you are very misguided...and yeah..the PA would approve a strict set of conditions to start up..as they wanna get paid..and from guys I know and talk to, are all chomping at bit to do so

I'm suggesting that you're not reading what I'm typing. If you were, you'd acknowledge that it's not just about the players going out into the world. It's also about all the staff and their families and everyone they contact. Maybe you;re just ignoring everything that doesn't work for your "argument".

No, I've never been in a pro camp and no, that doesn't matter one little bit. Re-read my first paragraph if you still don't get it.

Still no source for your prolonged contact idea? No, you don't have to have prolonged exposure to an infected person with the virus spewing out of their mouth onto you. You can pick it up from hard surfaces up to 3 days after it lands there. From the article I linked to: "individual or group activities that have close prolonged face-to-face contact such as football are higher risk", so no, football players don't have less of a chance of infection. They have a greater chance.

Do I think a football player would answer his questionnaire incorrectly so he could practice with his team? You bet I do. As you say, they are chomping at the bit. I also know that you can be asymptomatic and still pass the virus on to others. 

Let me tell you a bit about my own health questionnaire experience.

My in laws are 90 & 93. They live at a very good long term health facility here in Calgary (They're the only reason we moved back here from Vancouver). At the beginning of the pandemic, they made everyone going into the building, including staff, fill out a Covid-19 questionnaire. Then they gave you a sticker saying "I've been tested" that you had to wear to move around the building.

After the first Covid-19 outbreak, they added a temperature test to make sure you weren't running a fever. Then they stopped all visits to residents except for end of life situations, confined all residents to their rooms, stopped all the activities like the gym and movie nights and started delivering meals directly to the rooms. That looked like it had worked as planned for a couple of weeks as no new cases showed up.

Then came the second Covid-19 outbreak while visits were cancelled and residents were confined to their rooms. The only way that could happen is if someone brought it in from the outside and either lied on their questionnaire so they could still get paid or was asymptomatic.

As for my game story. Of course it's dumb. It was meant to be tongue in cheek and sarcastic. Sorry you didn't pick up on that.

Edited by TBURGESS

Extended care homes...and healthcare facilities are a different beast than a training camp...and yeah...you can have staff who interact with team exercise protocol to avoid getting...or risking infection...just the same as all the healthcare professionals who work with actual infected do...again...you keep saying all this physical contact...and at this point in a camp and slowly introducing things there needs to be no contact...not sure how you don't get that point...it can be done...and is done anyway to a great extent

I believe the MB Health dude who does his pressers has said the "close prolonged" contact thing..as well as others but I am not gonna go scrounging around the Net to find it for you...have better things to do

I guess I am more an optimist than pessimist as well as a problem solver solution maker..guess thats why I ended up in Engineering. and if everything was halted..stopped..delayed due to all the naysayers...risk fearers..and just people or groups saying it couldn't be done..then nothing would function..evolve or get solved.

Also it depends what surface it's on to adress one of your concerns...and its mainly surfaces that a football player isn't excessively touching...and again...like I said...if protocol is put in place where you get tested before stepping on field...when you arrive 2 weeks prior to camp..and at start of camp and are virus free...you cant give it to someone else..or they you when you are sitting in a team meeting...running sprints...doing one on ones.....and fact of the matter..virus and disease t

like this are here..aint't going away and gonna be others...world has to keep spinning and people cant hide in a box forever....you are afraid...worried..stay home...everyone else well I guess they choose to live their life...is that cold..callous..ignorant of fats..who knows...but this ****..and others like it will be ongoing for years..upon years...deal with it..work with it..do things to minimize it...be smart...but hiding out and shutting down all parts of society isn't the answer and sooner than later people are gonna just say eff it....it's already happening anyway