2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'll just stay home, thanks... you can count me as one of those people who didn't realize their every day life was called "self isolation"......

You get over looking stupid in a mask pretty quickly. Not that I'm wearing a mask in public but I have had to wear a respirator a ton for work and yeah you just stop thinking about what a tool you look like. We're all tools.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You get over looking stupid in a mask pretty quickly. Not that I'm wearing a mask in public but I have had to wear a respirator a ton for work and yeah you just stop thinking about what a tool you look like. We're all tools.

Two "sports" related analogies about feeling stupid and judged by others in a mask. 

When Jacques Plante wanted to wear a mask after taking one too many pucks to the face, there was a lot of public backlash (as much about it being distracting and negatively affecting his game as it was about "not looking right". Fortunately he went on a heater and the public outcry waned. And he had the perfect retort when challenged by Gump Worsley about being scared because he wore a mask when other goalies still went bare-faced: "If you jumped out of a plane without a parachute, would that make you brave?" 

Once read an SI article about the World Co-ed Naked Volleyball Championships held in upstate New York, and they got a writer to assemble a team of six players together including him. One of the big features of the article was the discomfort about being naked in front of strangers and how to overcome that fear while trying to focus on playing a match with all those eyes on you. Writer said in the first game none of his teammates were really shy about their bodies but didn't want to strip down "just because it was expected", so one guy who was Australian (they have few hang-ups) was naked, two of the men played just in boxers, and two of the ladies wore a t-shirt and underwear while one wore bottoms but went topless. Their opponents all went naked, and the entire crowd gathered to watch the match were all nudists. One line from the article kind of summed up the feeling. "At some point you realize that no one is really gawking at you, and you aren't gawking at anyone else, but you become aware that when everyone else is naked and you have clothes on, YOU are the one that stands out and draws more attention to yourself."

Early on mask-wearing was an extreme rarity. Now it is still the exception and not the rule, but I am seeing a significant shift. Before the pandemic I can think of seeing people on an airplane wearing masks and worrying "Oh no. Are they contagious?" As time goes by I realize that same thought will run through my head if I see someone without a mask where the majority of the crowd has one on.

On the plus side, think of the fun you could have wearing a designer mask (like the Gerry Cheevers "stitches" for his hockey mask).

You can't tell me this wouldn't look way cool as a face mask design.

Immortan Joe - Wikipedia

On 2020-05-13 at 9:33 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Wasn't '87. That year the league I think created the CFN (Canadian Football Network) and Dave Hodge did the game. Lancaster was at it next year with Don Wittman for the Bomber-Lion Cup in Ottawa. Lancaster was still at it in 1990 with Witt again for the Bomber-Eskie Cup game. I know he went back into coaching the next season with Edmonton and never broadcast again since he coached straight through until 2003.

You are partially correct.  The CFN was created that year when CTV didn't renew their contract, but CBC did also broadcast some games that year, including the Grey Cup game (CFN also broadcast the game as well, and I believe they were the ones broadcasting into the US for ESPN), with Don Whitman and Ron Lancaster as the broadcasting team for the CBC.  I was able to find the "rant" on Youtube, but it wasn't as bad as I thought or remembered.  I do remember Lancaster getting in hot water from the media the next day, saying that his commentary marred one of the best Grey Cups ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7gdJKcLakY

EDIT - the Lancaster comment is around the 50 minute mark in the above video.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I've spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about this, and I think the only thing that would get me to wear one is "The only way you can ever attend a Bombers game again, is...." and even then, it's something I'd think long and hard about.....

33 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

You are partially correct.  The CFN was created that year when CTV didn't renew their contract, but CBC did also broadcast some games that year, including the Grey Cup game (CFN also broadcast the game as well, and I believe they were the ones broadcasting into the US for ESPN), with Don Whitman and Ron Lancaster as the broadcasting team for the CBC.  I was able to find the "rant" on Youtube, but it wasn't as bad as I thought or remembered.  I do remember Lancaster getting in hot water from the media the next day, saying that his commentary marred one of the best Grey Cups ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7gdJKcLakY

EDIT - the Lancaster comment is around the 50 minute mark in the above video.

Good detective work. As for the "rant", even by today's PC standards one would have to be a snowflake to get bothered by that. Not sure why the media would get all bent out of shape.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Good detective work. As for the "rant", even by today's PC standards one would have to be a snowflake to get bothered by that. Not sure why the media would get all bent out of shape.

I agree.  I may have gotten my rants confused but I was sure that it was during the 1987 game because it was such a good one, with end to end action, and was therefore used as a platform for Lanky to criticize the haters.  Boy I do miss old Don Whitman...

...just prior to the West Semi-Final win over Calgary, O’Shea is heard telling the group “… everything we’ve done up to this point has turned you into a smarter, hardened football team. You’re ready for anything… You’re ready, fellas. You’re ready. Love every moment of this, take it all in.”

“I do honestly believe that the way things shook out last year was perfect. And we’re going to find a way to make it perfect again this year under a whole new set of circumstances, a whole new set of events.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/15/column-soul-success/

"I’ve put a lot of years into this league, seen a lot of different things, seen teams come and go, but I’ve also seen a league survive, and survive when the pundits said it wouldn’t.” - #Bombers HC Mike O'Shea #CFL 

“I believe in the resiliency of our league. In terms of the toll it’s taking or going to take, that remains to be seen." - #Bombers HC Mike O'Shea #CFL 

via @Ted_Wyman 1/2p

Lucky Whitehead:
“I wanted to come back with more explosion and still have my quick-twitch and speed. But I also want to be able to break those shoestring tackles and make the extra explosive play when it’s needed.”

The other component to his offseason training has involved film work. Whitehead wants to be a consistent threat on offence when the team returns, and has been intrigued by what he’s been told about how he might be used in Buck Pierce’s offence.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/19/whitehead-feeling-stronger-wiser-focused-heading-year-2/

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Everything other than the OL was "too many question marks" "lost too much talent during the offseason"....

Eh, nothing necessarily bad about their pointing out some valid concerns vis a vis off-season changes.

Collaros does need to stay healthy and that's probably the biggest unknown for the upcoming season - whenever it'll happen. Mitigating the chances of his getting injured will come down how the new OC builds the offense. Fortunately, there's still the best tailback and OL in the league on the roster, which helps immensely. The losses Sayles and Rose will be felt in the secondary, at least early on until replacements can be found and/or step up in their places.

They hit the nail on the head with O'Shea staying, IMO. Having that stability in light of those other changes will be crucial to remaining successful.

I expect some big things from him...and figured Buck would do some concepts to utilize him better...Just the fact he's coming back a year wiser in the CFL game..obviously the right attitude and work ethics (which coaches here love) and the fact he is happy up here and wants to be great makes it damn good odds he becomes a legit threat continually...and like he himself mentioned...I think he broke down near the end of the year and it was obvious..and affected his productivity..obviously he has worked to fix that both physically, as well as mentally/smarts wise

As for Farhjan...I think he's a bit out to lunch..Total offence back...with the best, and deepest O-line...and even with the loss of Sayles and Rose, we have added pieces and are bringing back guys who will more than adequately replace that..We won't have to go trough the growing pains to work in a raw rookie in the Defensive backfield, and if it's gonna be a shortened season that is gonna be huge...really huge

Also the addition of Awe and a full season with Maston makes us better at Linebacker, and the addition of Anitgha and MCallister will allow us to hardly notice the loss of Kongbo other than passport, but I think we have the horses to accommodate things we want to do on defense along the line with the safety spot possibly having a national rotated in...