2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Suitor is a superfan of the stars of Country radio........ he couldn't contain himself there. Still not his idea...it was a producer, and hopefully they learned their lesson. One of the greatest mistakes in Grey Cup broadcast history. 

I remember Ron Lancaster going on a rant while doing the color during the 1987 Grey Cup game I believe, on the CBC telecast (back then they simul-broadcast the game on both CTV and CBC).  He might have been drunk.  He lambasted all the critics of the CFL, in Don Cherry-esque fashion.  I remember agreeing with him, but also thinking that it wasn't the time or place for it.  Anyone else remember that?  Speedflex?  He got a lot of flak for it, and I don't think ever did another Grey Cup game again.

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember Ron Lancaster going on a rant while doing the color during the 1987 Grey Cup game I believe, on the CBC telecast (back then they simul-broadcast the game on both CTV and CBC).  He might have been drunk.  He lambasted all the critics of the CFL, in Don Cherry-esque fashion.  I remember agreeing with him, but also thinking that it wasn't the time or place for it.  Anyone else remember that?  Speedflex?  He got a lot of flak for it, and I don't think ever did another Grey Cup game again.

Wasn't '87. That year the league I think created the CFN (Canadian Football Network) and Dave Hodge did the game. Lancaster was at it next year with Don Wittman for the Bomber-Lion Cup in Ottawa. Lancaster was still at it in 1990 with Witt again for the Bomber-Eskie Cup game. I know he went back into coaching the next season with Edmonton and never broadcast again since he coached straight through until 2003.

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yup it's TSN. They don't trust the game to sell itself and try and fancy it up with all these bonus segments! Trouble is it does more to turn people off than encourage new fans. 

No one is going to suddenly start giving a **** about football just because some clueless singer starts blabbing about useless inane crap. 

I'll agree that it was a messed up attempt, but I disagree that it turns more people off than it draws in. At best it's a neutral issue. No hard core fan who is watching the Grey Cup for the football is going to say "Well that does it. Having an in-broadcast interview with this celebrity has soured me so much that I'm going to shut off the TV and not watch the completion of the first Bomber Grey Cup win in 29 years." Many on this site have railed against Rod Black's coverage for what feels like forever, and yet you are all still here following the game and commenting on the things he says, which means you are still watching him. As for the casual fan, they are watching for the spectacle as much as anything, so a bit more Keith Urban is not something they will complain about. Remember when Justin Beiber did the halftime show at the 100th Grey Cup? The game itself averaged 5.5 million viewers, but the halftime jumped to an average of 6.1 million, peaking at 7 million viewers. This for a guy who was booed mercilessly in the stadium. And all the wives who were at my Grey Cup party and had been blabbing in the kitchen in the first half while the hubbys watched the game were glued to Keith's performance and then paid attention when he came up to the booth later to chat, and stayed to watch the football afterwards.

I can do without it, but in today's world this is a pretty silly thing to get your knickers in a twist over.

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'll agree that it was a messed up attempt, but I disagree that it turns more people off than it draws in. At best it's a neutral issue. No hard core fan who is watching the Grey Cup for the football is going to say "Well that does it. Having an in-broadcast interview with this celebrity has soured me so much that I'm going to shut off the TV and not watch the completion of the first Bomber Grey Cup win in 29 years." Many on this site have railed against Rod Black's coverage for what feels like forever, and yet you are all still here following the game and commenting on the things he says, which means you are still watching him. As for the casual fan, they are watching for the spectacle as much as anything, so a bit more Keith Urban is not something they will complain about. Remember when Justin Beiber did the halftime show at the 100th Grey Cup? The game itself averaged 5.5 million viewers, but the halftime jumped to an average of 6.1 million, peaking at 7 million viewers. This for a guy who was booed mercilessly in the stadium. And all the wives who were at my Grey Cup party and had been blabbing in the kitchen in the first half while the hubbys watched the game were glued to Keith's performance and then paid attention when he came up to the booth later to chat, and stayed to watch the football afterwards.

I can do without it, but in today's world this is a pretty silly thing to get your knickers in a twist over.

Disagree. TSN really does nothing to grow the game in Canada with Mickey Mouse people in the booth doing & saying stupid things. CFL viewership isn't really growing anymore. Sure, it's #1 on TSN but that is a cable network. TSN shuffles games on their different channels with no explanation.  Rod Black doesn't sell the game. Neither does Sitor. if anything it gives the NFL loving crowd one more reason not to watch & make even more jokes about the CFL. 

We watch the CFL even when unhappy with the broadcasts because we have no choice. There is no competition. TSN is a monopoly. There is no reason for them to improve their broadcasts as they have exclusive rights. They also set the standard for $$$ to be paid to the league, Who is to say that if we had competition for the TV contract, that maybe it wouldn't be 20% higher? If they tell the CFL that will pay 20% LESS on the next contract then what can the CFL do?? The games should be on CBC,  CTV,  Global & TSN. 

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Sorry, I don't remember that but if you say it happened then I believe you. 

41 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The term would be crochety.

I see you added Booch to your list of people you don't like here. I'm crotchety?  That's funny as there isn't a day that goes by that you don't criticize someone's opinion.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Well done, sir. 

well_done_sir.gif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I see you added Booch to your list of people you don't like here. I'm crotchety?  That's funny as there isn't a day that goes by that you don't criticize someone's opinion.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Well done, sir. 

well_done_sir.gif

I've got nothing against Booch, I simply disagree with him.  Maybe you didn't realize, but one can actually disagree with someone without "disliking" them.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don’t imagine anyone is going to write an epitaph on their tombstone saying “It was worth it not to look silly in a mask”. 

and I get that for sure, but I think what I'm saying is that I'd rather just stay home and avoid people than go out and have to wear a mask....