2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

Hands down if Harris didn't have game he did the MOP would have had to been Willie...he had bigtime critical plays that effected outcome of game...actually pretty much how that whole battle along the lines unfolded to be honest...Jones was solid and and made some very decisive plays too..Willie just made more...and had a hige influence on the game and how it played out

Because I have nothing better to do, I'll vehemently disagree that Jefferson had a better game than Jones. I might re-watch the game (yet again...) this week and take some notes to justify my point. On top of the interceptions, I remember the break-up with the other Mike Jones near the goal line on what would have otherwise been a TD, and wasn't it Jones that took out Brandon Banks with the hip-shot, too? 

Anyhow, I'm fighting for Jones right now for no real reason...

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

We could list a half dozen guys who coulda been MVP if not for Harris. 

Exactly.

So many strong performances. A pure delight to watch.

All the more disappointing that we cannot witness what could have been this year..

Mike O’Shea took a few minutes Tuesday morning to step outside and look up at the sky as the Snowbirds flew a loop around Winnipeg as part of ‘Operation Inspiration.’

“I was actually standing there waving up in the air,” began the Blue Bombers head coach with a chuckle during a Zoom call with bluebombers.com not long after the flyover.

“I know they can’t see me, but I did it.”

This is usually one of my favourite times, when the players show up,” said O’Shea. “It’s just watching the interactions between the players who haven’t seen each other from whenever everything wraps up and guys have a couple nights out after the season. And some guys take off right away.”

I just have so much faith in the resiliency of the CFL and the people leading it that we’re going to manage to get this done,” O’Shea said. “It does me no good to think the other way.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/12/believe-leagues-ability-unite-country/

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Because I have nothing better to do, I'll vehemently disagree that Jefferson had a better game than Jones. I might re-watch the game (yet again...) this week and take some notes to justify my point. On top of the interceptions, I remember the break-up with the other Mike Jones near the goal line on what would have otherwise been a TD, and wasn't it Jones that took out Brandon Banks with the hip-shot, too? 

Anyhow, I'm fighting for Jones right now for no real reason...

Mike Jones' "critical" interception came with 36 seconds left on the clock and the Bombers up 33-12. He had 4 tackles in the game (Sayles led with 6) and 1 special teams tackle in the second level of tackling (19 yard gain on the punt return before his tackle). He did knock Banks out of the game and had 3 pass knockdowns, including the big one against his namesake for the Ticats (who also got injured, so if you want to argue that he wins the MVP for causing the most injuries on the opposing side, I'll give you that one). Jones was covering Banks for the first half, and Banks was the game's leading receiver before he got knocked out. Very solid game for sure, and I'd award him the Happy Honker for the timing of that pass knockdown on the goalline in the third quarter when it was 27-12.

Jefferson had 2 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles, including the biggest one that directly led to Harris' first touchdown which gave the Bombers a lead they would never surrender. Splashier stats and his pressures kept Evans off balance all game. He was also part of a line that forced 2 turnovers on 3rd and short when the Ticats had not been stopped all year on that play. I'd put Jefferson over Jones.

However, it is arguable that Jeffcoat had an even bigger game. 4 tackles (including a big tackle for a loss against Banks on an end-around sweep that stalled the Ticats drive in Winnipeg territory and forced a field goal to make it 7-3 instead of 7-7 possibly). Also 2 sacks, had a third taken away because of a Jefferson roughing penalty, forced a fumble which he recovered himself, and the aforementioned pressure and 3rd down stuffs. Of the 7 turnovers the Bombers had, 2 were fumbles forced by the d-line and 2 were failed 3rd down sneaks, and add in 6 sacks for good measure, so the line played a critical role in the tempo of the game. I would give it to Jeffcoat barely over Jefferson, but Harris had the biggest first half of them all where the game was essentially decided, so he is probably the rightful winner.

Disagree?

Pin on Big Bang

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Im with Noeller. Jones was a beast against Banks and that long bomb pass knockdown was arguably the most important play of the game IMO. If that ball is caught it pumps Hamilton full of life and its a 1 score game. Completely different ball game. Mike Jones MVP #2 for me.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

On 2020-04-19 at 5:19 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Geroy Simon was a great receiver but this is how it works. I honestly liked Murphy a lot better & some BC Lions fan would go whaaaat? I got tired of the Superman Pose after every TD. Towards the end of his career all I wanted Simon to do was act like he had been there before. Nope, we got the Superman Pose every fricking time which knocked him down the list a few players in my eyes. 

I can't find any source online, but I recall hearing Simon say in an interview that the reason he did the pose was so when his son was watching the game, he'd know it was his dad scored a touchdown. So as stupid as it looked, that's a pretty darn good reason to do it in my opinion.

On 2020-05-11 at 4:49 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Way more arrogant which is why it was soooo sweet to watch the Cats crash down to Earth. The Grey Cup game was a slugfest. With the Bombers doing the  slugging & the Ticats getting the festing. The Cats turtled. They cowered. They gave up. Especially Dane Evans their hot shot rookie qb who should have been taken aside by Steinhauer, told to grow a set & be a leader. He was throwing temper tantrums & hissy fits all game long. He didn't like the treatment the Bomber defense gave him. Evans may indeed  become a great CFL qb but on that day he was just a scared little rookie with a bloody nose. The Bombers were like the bully in junior high who would sit beside some poor kid, punch his arm, tell the kid he'd die if he told the teacher & then kept hitting him over & over while the kid cowered in pain silently. Evans never once fought back or rallied the troops on the sidelines like Matt Dunigan or Mike Reilly would have. Midway through the 3rd quarter, it was over. After they lost Brandon Banks, the Cats weren't coming back. I loved every freaking moment of the beat down. 

I did too, except for maybe the cringe-worthy Keith Urban in the booth moments in the 3rd quarter.  Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.  Please let it be Rod Black...

53 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I did too, except for maybe the cringe-worthy Keith Urban in the booth moments in the 3rd quarter.  Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.  Please let it be Rod Black...

Makes you wonder how someone like Suitor with years of experience in the booth could have been so stupid. 

8 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Mike O’Shea took a few minutes Tuesday morning to step outside and look up at the sky as the Snowbirds flew a loop around Winnipeg as part of ‘Operation Inspiration.’

“I was actually standing there waving up in the air,” began the Blue Bombers head coach with a chuckle during a Zoom call with bluebombers.com not long after the flyover.

“I know they can’t see me, but I did it.”

This is usually one of my favourite times, when the players show up,” said O’Shea. “It’s just watching the interactions between the players who haven’t seen each other from whenever everything wraps up and guys have a couple nights out after the season. And some guys take off right away.”

I just have so much faith in the resiliency of the CFL and the people leading it that we’re going to manage to get this done,” O’Shea said. “It does me no good to think the other way.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/12/believe-leagues-ability-unite-country/

The name for the tour "Inspiration" is ironic as inspiration means "inhaling" which is difficult for CORVID19 sufferers.

Suitor is a superfan of the stars of Country radio........ he couldn't contain himself there. Still not his idea...it was a producer, and hopefully they learned their lesson. One of the greatest mistakes in Grey Cup broadcast history. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Suitor is a superfan of the stars of Country radio........ he couldn't contain himself there. Still not his idea...it was a producer, and hopefully they learned their lesson. One of the greatest mistakes in Grey Cup broadcast history. 

That wasn't the first broadcast where they've done that sort of thing.  Has become very common in the last couple of years.  Someone there thinks it is a good idea and people like it.  Maybe they think it caters to and draws in the casual fan.   Either way, I have no confidence that they've learned their lesson.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Someone there thinks it is a good idea and people like it.  Maybe they think it caters to and draws in the casual fan

yup it's TSN. They don't trust the game to sell itself and try and fancy it up with all these bonus segments! Trouble is it does more to turn people off than encourage new fans. 

No one is going to suddenly start giving a **** about football just because some clueless singer starts blabbing about useless inane crap. 

I don't recall them ever doing it in a GC game....only regular season. Either way, there was quite a bit of negative feedback. Cuthbert alluded to it on Twitter during the Super Bowl. I'd be surprised if we see it during a GC game again....

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yup it's TSN. They don't trust the game to sell itself and try and fancy it up with all these bonus segments! Trouble is it does more to turn people off than encourage new fans. 

No one is going to suddenly start giving a **** about football just because some clueless singer starts blabbing about useless inane crap. 

That part where Suits hands the play-calling over to Keith, who has no idea what is going on and is probably watching his first CFL game ever, is just the definition of cringe.  Keith is just a deer in headlights, understandably, and it's just painful.  I really don't know what they were thinking, but I don't think much thinking was going on.  "Let's put an Australian who has never watched the CFL before in the booth with Suits and Cuthbert and let the magic just happen".  Probably as far as it went.  Total trainwreck, that was 100% predictable.