2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

No people think he is massively overrated here because he never came back. Geroy was a stud nobody else I feared more as a receiver in his prime.

Geroy TRIED to come back but the Bombers said no, and honestly were right to do so because he wasn't better than what we had. Our receiving corps was so deep he couldn't crack it. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Geroy TRIED to come back but the Bombers said no, and honestly were right to do so because he wasn't better than what we had. Our receiving corps was so deep he couldn't crack it. 

He went to the Riders & didn't play much or was a difference maker. Just like Fernandez with only 225 yards his last season.  They both got by on their reputations. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He went to the Riders & didn't play much or was a difference maker. Just like Fernandez with only 225 yards his last season.  They both got by on their reputations. 

I believe Noeller was talking about the first time, when Simon came back from the nfl. He was replaced by Arland Bruce basically. 

Honestly for me Geroy Simon is the most over rated all time receiver. Yeah he was good, but I don't know how I can rate him above a lot of guys. I dunno, he just never wowed me the way a lot of guys do. 

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

No people think he is massively overrated here because he never came back. Geroy was a stud nobody else I feared more as a receiver in his prime.

Simon was absolutely one of the best ever, but Stegall in his prime was still better, IMO. His on-field awareness, his superb route running, his buttery smooth hands, his attention to detail, and his ability to elude and confuse defenders were all second to none. To me, he embodied the prototypical receiver meant for the CFL game and field.

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not exactly... his ask was too high... the bombers wanted him back but not at the money he was asking for...

Edited by bearpants

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Not exactly... his ask was too high... the bombers wanted him back but not at the money he was asking for...

well sure, if he would come back at the minimum, I'm sure they would have taken him as an extra receiver. But he wasn't going to make our starting 3 IMP REC..... At the time, Bruce, Milt, Gordon were better. 

yup....no way was Simon going to beat out the depth at receiver we had back then...Although thinking back I wished there was someway we could've kept him , especially after Arland buggered off to T.O. shortly after his nfl stint...and Geroy hung around the CFL for a very long time......Didn't shake the crystal ball hard enough I guess....

Arland was awesome. One of my favorites when he was here. Anyone remember the wild August 2002 game against Calgary where he caught 4 TD's in a crazy comeback win?? Down 41-27 with 2 minutes left and we won it in overtime. Not gonna lie, I left early lol but still one of my favorite all time games.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

On 2020-04-16 at 5:38 PM, wbbfan said:

Such an amazing game, the roar when bolden picks off danny mac is the loudest I ever heard at the old stadium. 

It was so much fun. I was still young, and we were all completely loaded in the student section. When Bolden got that int, the guy sitting behind me jumped up to celebrate and fell over my head and landed at my feet. He got up, high fived me, then climbed back up to his seat like nothing had happened...

On that 2001 EF, I just remember the pick and as he ran it back thinking, "we're going to the Cup.".

The 2002 comeback versus Calgary where Bruce had 4 TDs was another good one.

In 2003, Westy kicked like a 55 yard field goal to win a game against the Riders at the end.

The 2005, 4 catch, 4 td game for Milt.

The 2010 Printes meltdown/Jyles comeback and the Banjo Bowl that year.

The 1998 Troy Kopp literal 15 minutes of Fame game.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

In 2003, Westy kicked like a 55 yard field goal to win a game against the Riders at the end.

Back in the days when not every game was on TV. I remember having to listen to this on the radio. Thank god Bob Irving is a legend, but yeah I can vividly remember sitting there listening to this one.  

On 2020-04-21 at 7:48 AM, Bubba Zanetti said:

Arland was awesome. One of my favorites when he was here. Anyone remember the wild August 2002 game against Calgary where he caught 4 TD's in a crazy comeback win?? Down 41-27 with 2 minutes left and we won it in overtime. Not gonna lie, I left early lol but still one of my favorite all time games.

I think I was at that game too. I remember my brother and I going to a game against Calgary around that time where the Bombers were down big late in the game and we left early. Leaving the stadium we heard the crowd cheering and cannon go off. Then soon after, before we got to the car, cheering and the cannon again. So we raced to the car to put on the radio and find out what was going on!

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Back in the days when not every game was on TV. I remember having to listen to this on the radio. Thank god Bob Irving is a legend, but yeah I can vividly remember sitting there listening to this one.  

was sitting in my basement apartment in Dauphin listening to that and losing my mind. What a finish....

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I was at that game. Correct me if im wrong, but wasn't that also the game where Riders LB Reggie Hunt set the record for most tackles in a game? Im pretty sure it was.

Geroy was a fantastic wr for a long time. And pitts was great. But no one is in milts league. If he had an elite qb for half his career he'd honest to god have 50 more tds, and a couple 2k years. 

I look at geroy in the same light as I look at damon allen. Never the best player at their position in the league, but alot of time in the higher tiers. Its the same deal as emmit smith. NFLs all time leading rusher, but not really in any ones top 5 best rbs of all time. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Geroy was a fantastic wr for a long time. And pitts was great. But no one is in milts league. If he had an elite qb for half his career he'd honest to god have 50 more tds, and a couple 2k years. 

I look at geroy in the same light as I look at damon allen. Never the best player at their position in the league, but alot of time in the higher tiers. Its the same deal as emmit smith. NFLs all time leading rusher, but not really in any ones top 5 best rbs of all time. 

I was going to say the exact same thing when this discussion first started. 100% agree...