2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

16 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah Charles Roberts just ran roughshod that night over the Montreal D.  One of my all-time favorite games.

In the weeks leading up to that teams were getting past montreals long time cover 0 look in different ways, but that always seemed the night it died. Sir charles ran up the gut and tore apart a stacked line over and over again. Beating the als back then was the high spot of a season too.

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

the Bombers had actually played a rather poor game in 01 vs Ham, and were lucky to win that one. They'd looked rusty after the starters took games off and then they had the bye....in the end, it was an omen for how the GC would go. Sigh.

That team was always able to make up for lack lustre starts with fiery comebacks.  Until the last game...

58 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That team was always able to make up for lack lustre starts with fiery comebacks.  Until the last game...

One thing that often goes overlooked (overshadowed by Cameron and Westwood tough games) is how good Milt played in the 01 GC game. He was outstanding and made a TD catch in triple coverage that is, to this day, one of the greatest football catches I've ever seen in my life. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

One thing that often goes overlooked (overshadowed by Cameron and Westwood tough games) is how good Milt played in the 01 GC game. He was outstanding and made a TD catch in triple coverage that is, to this day, one of the greatest football catches I've ever seen in my life. 

never, ever in his career could Milt be accused of not showing up... that man give 100% to every game, every practice, every workout... that's why he's the CFL's GOAT receiver... 

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

never, ever in his career could Milt be accused of not showing up... that man give 100% to every game, every practice, every workout... that's why he's the CFL's GOAT receiver... 

an Esks fan that I know through the music business was incredulous that I made that claim last week. Said Milt was maybe Top 10 receivers all time, and that Mervyn Fernandez was the all time greatest. I didn't even know where to begin with that...

9 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Stegall is the greatest CFL receiver of all time. Full stop.

Pitts and Simon can fight over second place.

Agreed. People forget that Milt was putting up big numbers with a carousel of god awful QB's for the first half of his career. Dear lord I couldn't even imagine what kind of numbers he would have finished with if he would have had Khari and Glenn for 13 years. As opposed to Pitts who had a combination of Flutie, Garcia, and Dickenson(not too freaking bad hey?) throwing him the ball. Not to mention Simon who also had Dickenson, Printers, Buck, and Lulay. All of which were light years better than the revolving door of utter garbage Milt had throwing to him in the 90's.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

On 2020-04-17 at 9:18 AM, Noeller said:

an Esks fan that I know through the music business was incredulous that I made that claim last week. Said Milt was maybe Top 10 receivers all time, and that Mervyn Fernandez was the all time greatest. I didn't even know where to begin with that...

Fernandez was outstanding. He was a truly great receiver BUT... he didn't have CFL longevity. He left for Oakland after 5 seasons & returned to the Lions 8 years later for one last swan song but he only had 225 yards receiving. 

Here are  Swervin'  Mervyn's CFL receiving stats for anyone who wants to know... He played 6 seasons for the Lions (82 thru 86 & 94).  He had 399 catches for 6,690 yards & 57 touchdowns. Every year except 1994 he had over a thousand yards receiving including 1,727 yards in 1985.  He was probably the most dominant receiver of that era in the 80's so I can see why someone who isn't a Blue Bomber fan would say that.  However, longevity has to figure into the GOAT. The ability to perform at an extremely high level for a long time.

The two best that I ever saw were Milt Stegall & Allen Pitts. Pitts was cut after 11 seasons in Calgary by Wally even after a thousand yard season to save money. Wally was a total ass that way. To cut (at the time) the CFL's all time leading receiver was just brutal. Of course all know that Milt played every down of his CFL career with the Bombers. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Geroy Simon was a great receiver but this is how it works. I honestly liked Murphy a lot better & some BC Lions fan would go whaaaat? I got tired of the Superman Pose after every TD. Towards the end of his career all I wanted Simon to do was act like he had been there before. Nope, we got the Superman Pose every fricking time which knocked him down the list a few players in my eyes.