2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Regardless, we have one QB making $450k and our backup as close to league min for QBs

No receiver over $160k - 3 of them probably at league minimum

Cheap deal on Harris considering he's basically MVOP

Cheap secondary...  I would think only Alexander is over $100k including Wilson and Maston

No first round draft picks

There is money.

I can’t see Josh Johnson making less than 100k. Despite him not being known to us as a familiar name guy, he’s a big ticket player ... veteran who’s spent time in the NFL and played well in the CFL. I think most of us would be uncomfortable with what he’s getting paid. 

Harris being a value for what he provides still doesn’t discount that he’s making over 200k.

We have two of the five most expensive defensive players in the league, including the most expensive.

Our OL has to be the highest paid in the league.

I do agree we have money, but we’ve spent in a lot of places people forget about. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

He was making 200k last year, according to literally every source I’ve seen. Where is the 165k number coming from? 

165 was prior to last years one yr deal..200 wasnt a number I heard, but i also heard too he was cheap compared to other bums who couldn't hold his jock...and he re-upped for dame cash this yr...maybe It is 200k but I dn't recall ever seeing that in print in the media anywhere, so seeing as I am a stubborn prick I gonna lean toward more like 175-180 lol

Just now, Booch said:

165 was prior to last years one yr deal..200 wasnt a number I heard, but i also heard too he was cheap compared to other bums who couldn't hold his jock...and he re-upped for dame cash this yr...maybe It is 200k but I dn't recall ever seeing that in print in the media anywhere, so seeing as I am a stubborn prick I gonna lean toward more like 175-180 lol

but he..and Medlock also restructured...no?...and from what i heard it was for less...but maybe i wrong

I think i was away out of country for that new blurb too hahahaah...didnt see it...but he is worth every penny of whatever he gets

Edited by Booch

Just now, Booch said:

but he..and Medlock also restructured...no?...and from what i heard it was for less...but maybe i wrong

I think i was away out of country for that new blurb too hahahaah...didnt see it

Could be, the tweets are always speculative at best anyways. 

Walters also mentioned that they had to pay $20,000 above market rate to get Bryant to come to Wpg. in the first place,  Stanley isn't stupid, he's going to get paid, especially after winning the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award twice and being nominated for the award by his team 5 times in his career.

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Walters also mentioned that they had to pay $20,000 above market rate to get Bryant to come to Wpg. in the first place,  Stanley isn't stupid, he's going to get paid, especially after winning the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award twice and being nominated for the award by his team 5 times in his career.

Yeah...back in 2015...in his first contract when 140-150k was big bucks for an import Import lineman...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I dunno, I just think we’re overstating how much money other teams spend and understating how much we spend. Look at the line of thinking: “Wilson on his second deal .. maybe 100k, Howsare on his second deal ... at least 100-120k” ... what’s the difference in these two guys?

Not everyone is taking a haircut to be here.

This happens every season....  some team signs a few guys and apparently they are breaking the bank.  

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Harris at 220k seems very affordable now...  we've also shed Fenner's 120k and Kongbo's 100k

That's my point. Essentially Fenner 120K is now Josh Johnson. Extra 100K with Kongbo gone. Roh gone, so probably around another 100K shed. Hecht say 90K. Sayles and Rose, 200K combined? Streveler gone, maybe 100K? Jones and Jones gone, another 150K combined say. So that's 750K gone give or take to work with. Darvin probably small raise maybe 40K, Willie an extra 70K, Couture probably another 50K, Neufeld say another 40K, Bryant 50K, Hardrick 40K. Woli, Thomas, and Miles, maybe 60K combined in raises? So that's 350Kish of the 750K eaten up which leaves around 400K to play with. Obviously these are all guesses but we should still have a fairly good chunk left. Even if im off by a chunk, which I probably am.

No offense to Josh Johnson, but it makes me a little sad, if we infact do have like 300K-400K left, that we didn't take another 50K or so and grab a guy like Ciante Evans, or Richard Leonard and then maybe even go grab a receiver.

4 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

No offense to Josh Johnson, but it makes me a little sad, if we infact do have like 300K-400K left, that we didn't take another 50K or so and grab a guy like Ciante Evans, or Richard Leonard and then maybe even go grab a receiver.

Especially if Darvin's raise was 20k (120-140...) and Willie went from 220 to 265 (45k)... that's another 65k

Plus no first round draft picks unlike everyone else in the league...  they must be waiting on someone

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah...back in 2015...in his first contract when 140-150k was big bucks for an import Import lineman...

The cap hasn't adjusted much in the last 5 years, and certainly on a per player basis it's essentially less now with the higher minimum salary.  Bryant was making 180 all in on his first deal here.

The concession the PA made and how the league believes the increase to the minimum salary will be mitigated are the mandated salaries for draft picks.  We'll see how that works out.  I can tell you the agents believe it will result in lots of players not signing very quickly.  It will certainly continue to make navigating those early rounds of the draft a delicate balance between drafting the best football players and drafting someone who will sign.

17 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

That's my point. Essentially Fenner 120K is now Josh Johnson. Extra 100K with Kongbo gone. Roh gone, so probably around another 100K shed. Hecht say 90K. Sayles and Rose, 200K combined? Streveler gone, maybe 100K? Jones and Jones gone, another 150K combined say. So that's 750K gone give or take to work with. Darvin probably small raise maybe 40K, Willie an extra 70K, Couture probably another 50K, Neufeld say another 40K, Bryant 50K, Hardrick 40K. Woli, Thomas, and Miles, maybe 60K combined in raises? So that's 350Kish of the 750K eaten up which leaves around 400K to play with. Obviously these are all guesses but we should still have a fairly good chunk left. Even if im off by a chunk, which I probably am.

Minimum salary is up.  That's easily $150,000 per team in cap space.

Each one of those guys we lose has a replacement, even if you're replacing with a rookie that's half to 3/4 of the saving gone.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What happened with the awards last year was a bloody disgrace. Bryant easily should have won it again.

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

Bombers sign Tobi Antigha ... I really like that a lot. He’s a perfect DI candidate and Richie will love his versatility 

I like this signing..if anything he is an upgrade big time to Kory Jones as the DI

He can also be serviceable at safety..guy is pretty dam  quick

Just now, Booch said:

I like this signing..if anything he is an upgrade big time to Kory Jones as the DI

He can also be serviceable at safety..guy is pretty dam  quick

Plus if he's good, we can say "Riders don't even know how to make proper use of quality players" and if he sucks, we can say "wow this bum started in Saskatchewan? how embarrassing for them"