2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

Essentially by telling you starter from last year that they don't want him.  The WBB organization is usually pretty good at keeping this stuff out of the media. 

We will have to agree to disagree about what "throwing someone under the bus" means. Telling a player they won't be pursuing them before FA starts, as far as I see it anyway, is the right way to do business in the CFL. Let them know where you stand, Nichols can now focus on his next step instead of waiting on something that may never come.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

We will have to agree to disagree about what "throwing someone under the bus" means. Telling a player they won't be pursuing them before FA starts, as far as I see it anyway, is the right way to do business in the CFL. Let them know where you stand, Nichols can now focus on his next step instead of waiting on something that may never come.

I'd say your interpretation is correct. The WFC hasn't thrown Nichols under the bus by letting him know their plans moving forward for 2020. He's a pending FA, anyway.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/why-do-we-throw-someone-under-the-bus

...to throw someone under the bus is not a nice thing to do. It may be defined as “to betray or sacrifice a person, particularly for the sake of one’s own advancement, or as a means of safeguarding one’s own interests.”

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The only thing that seems clear, is that the team has said "we're going to prioritize Collaros first".......but the big take I got out of that article is that the team would like to have both back, which I find interesting...

I mean, if you can get two guys with their talent level. Why not? That would be the ideal situation. Except maybe for the response of media/fans when one has a shitty game. 

I'd like to see Collaros and Mcguire to start the year personally. With Mcguire getting significant time in the pre season and regular season games. Really want to see what that guy is made of.

32 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Essentially by telling you starter from last year that they don't want him.  The WBB organization is usually pretty good at keeping this stuff out of the media. 

That's not being thrown under the bus at all and it wasn't the club who went to the media.

Being thrown under the bus would be Walters holding a press conference and saying something like "due to his game manager status and being injury-prone, we've decided to cut ties with Matt Nichols and focus on signing a real QB... Zach Collaros".

The reality is that once they made the choice that they want to bring Collaros back, they had 3 options with Nichols:

A) Give him a heads up so he can start making other plans

B) say nothing and leave him twisting in the wind

C) give him false hope that he'll be back as QB1.

They chose the most professional and respectful route available to them.

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Do the Bombers feel confident in their ability to sign Collaros?    They must because it's not how they normally operate.   They don't publicly throw their players under the bus.   

So, the player's agent goes to the press to complain about something that had not been public before he bitched, and somehow that means that the Bombers are throwing said player under the bus?  I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

I find it interesting that some posters here claimed pretty confidently that Collaros was just a rental and he was good as gone to the Argoblows at season end. 

My guess is Collaros has a warm spot for our organization in giving him the shot he needed that is competing with Pinball's smile and motivational speeches. :) 

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find it interesting that some posters here claimed pretty confidently that Collaros was just a rental and he was good as gone to the Argoblows at season end. 

My guess is Collaros has a warm spot for our organization in giving him the shot he needed that is competing with Pinball's smile and motivational speeches. :) 

I’m quite surprised myself. Talked to enough people at Grey Cup who would know and every single person said Collaros was good as gone. 

Curious to see how it plays out

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Or Toronto changed their plans...  I think Arbuckle is still a very real option for them

Opportunity to win..stability within organization...universal agreement that Osh is a draw to play for...and the fact he is probably safest in regards to his health behind our O=line is a huge draw...and I sure wifey see's that and has expressed it...Pretty sure she doesn't want his noodle taking more shots than it has to

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, the player's agent goes to the press to complain about something that had not been public before he bitched, and somehow that means that the Bombers are throwing said player under the bus?  I don't think that phrase means what you think it means.

So based on the recent feedback I may have misread the situation.  I thought Matt found out thru the media that the Bombers were prioritizing the signing of  Collaros. 

But what happens if we don't sign Collaros?  Do we go back to Nichols?  Or do we go a completely different direction?  

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Can't help but see Collaros as a very short term solution, with his serious concussion issues I doubt he's still playing football in two years time.  With a new wife and baby online eventually he may consider his long-term health to be more of a priority.

Strev and McGuire only need one more year if that of development IMO.....   

I agree that 2 years is a normal/good time frame to see if a QB is ready. You don't get a lot better not playing. 

So traumatized by this club sending unready prospects out there with no backup plan and the constant cycle of looking. 

I really hope SM just looks undeniable in the preseason, then I'm cool rolling with him as the QB2.

He will see better players in preseason this year I'm sure.

Once again we are over-estimating our third stringer without any actual evidence...  he has thrown three passes at full CFL game speed

If Nichols is not back, Walters will bring in a journeyman backup - MBT, Davis, Kilgore - someone at that level whether we approve or not

McGuire is 23... he needs 2-3 years at least before stepping up - Streveler wasn't mentally ready to be a #1 QB and probably still isn't

45 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Once again we are over-estimating our third stringer without any actual evidence...  he has thrown three passes at full CFL game speed

If Nichols is not back, Walters will bring in a journeyman backup - MBT, Davis, Kilgore - someone at that level whether we approve or not

McGuire is 23... he needs 2-3 years at least before stepping up - Streveler wasn't mentally ready to be a #1 QB and probably still isn't

well he went 12-19 for 146 yards...no picks in pre-season...which doesn't mean much, but shows he can chuck a pill....playing against lesser talent for sure...but also playing with for most part guys who were cut too...