2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I agree we got lucky with Kongbo... if not for his injury, he would never have been here in the 1st place.  I was just throwing Bennett's name out there as he was A) local and B) ranked right where the Bombers are picking.  The draft pool and it's rankings are always changing so projecting what we might do at this point is 100% speculation... exactly what the off-season is for!

why are we drafting 9th this year...that spot is reserved for the team that wins the....oh right...

Image result for big smile gif

5 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

This probably puts an end to the idea of re-signing zach. Keeping the first round could be crucial now considering there are a couple defensive ends that should be available in the first round.

I'm sure Walter's is not thinking, "Oh, I can't re-sign Collaros, I'll lose that pick!" If the Bombers decide he is their best option for 2020, they WILL offer him a contract.

3 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I'm sure Walter's is not thinking, "Oh, I can't re-sign Collaros, I'll lose that pick!" If the Bombers decide he is their best option for 2020, they WILL offer him a contract.

Short-term, Collaros was the right fit for the Grey Cup run... but I just can't see this organization kicking Nichols to the curb for a guy that filled Nichols shoes adequately.

20 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Actually I would say that does play into his decision, he has to way the pros and cons of paying for zach vs the Canadian talent that is available. My point was meant to target that a Canadian de was leaving and really the only way to replace him would be the draft.

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

a first round pick for a starting qb is a well worthwhile trade.

Problem with Collaros is his injury history means you might get him for 1 play or all season or anything in between. That's where the gamble comes in. 

Collaros has a slightly higher chance of being out because of his concussion history, but all QB's can be injured on one hit.

any player is at risk to being put out in one hit...but a player coming back from knee surgery..shoulder surgery...whatever surgery...you know where they are at structurally, progression wise..strength...basically the whole gamut and nowaday's coming back from a structural repair a lot of times you come back stronger and better with less chance to re-injure that again...tho it can happen but if it did, it would have happened anyway without prior injury...90 percent of the time

Concussion..head/brain injury so many unknowns...and it's a compounding injury, which never..ever heals...just subsides until the next trauma..and takes longer and longer to subside again to function right..and it can occur from hits, and pounding that doesn't involve the head..which a lot of people don't realize..and sometimes from a really seemingly insignificant impact..or even just a fall to the ground..

As much upside there could be to Collaros...there is way too much downside and unknowns there it's not worth the risk..you can repar and rehab an injury and come back just as good..and even better, and you know pretty finite timelines for it....with the noodle...nope...Thanks for the work Zack and getting us that Cup, but enjoy Southern Ontario

Edited by Booch

59 minutes ago, Booch said:

any player is at risk to being put out in one hit...but a player coming back from knee surgery..shoulder surgery...whatever surgery...you know where they are at structurally, progression wise..strength...basically the whole gamut and nowaday's coming back from a structural repair a lot of times you come back stronger and better with less chance to re-injure that again...tho it can happen but if it did, it would have happened anyway without prior injury...90 percent of the time

Concussion..head/brain injury so many unknowns...and it's a compounding injury, which never..ever heals...just subsides until the next trauma..and takes longer and longer to subside again to function right..and it can occur from hits, and pounding that doesn't involve the head..which a lot of people don't realize..and sometimes from a really seemingly insignificant impact..or even just a fall to the ground..

As much upside there could be to Collaros...there is way too much downside and unknowns there it's not worth the risk..you can repar and rehab an injury and come back just as good..and even better, and you know pretty finite timelines for it....with the noodle...nope...Thanks for the work Zack and getting us that Cup, but enjoy Southern Ontario

Agree. I would add that while shoulder, knee, etc. injuries are easier to recover from given treatment and surgery options, you have to consider type of injury and position. ACL surgery for a QB isn't as bad as it is for a RB or WR. It does limit mobility, but, a QB really just needs to escape pressure and have a quick release. Tom Brady has has multiple knee surgeries. Recovery from dominant arm shoulder surgery for a QB - now you've got me worried. Especially an older QB (Nichols). Versus shoulder surgery recovery for a WR  which isn't really a big concern.  

8 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree. I would add that while shoulder, knee, etc. injuries are easier to recover from given treatment and surgery options, you have to consider type of injury and position. ACL surgery for a QB isn't as bad as it is for a RB or WR. It does limit mobility, but, a QB really just needs to escape pressure and have a quick release. Tom Brady has has multiple knee surgeries. Recovery from dominant arm shoulder surgery for a QB - now you've got me worried. Especially an older QB (Nichols). Versus shoulder surgery recovery for a WR  which isn't really a big concern.  

I would 100% roll the dice on Arbuckle and Streveler rather than Nichols or Collaros...

54 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

I'd trust your opinion, but aren't you the guy who two months ago didn't want to roll the dice with O'Shea anymore? 

No I’ve been a huge Osh fan from day one ... I just thought he’d sunk his own ship 

Now Richie Hall... that’s a different story and I’m fine being wrong about him 

22 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

100% agree... for a guy who didn't have the strongest arm to begin with, you've gotta wonder what kind of zip he'll have on the ball coming back from this.  Couple that with his lack of mobility, and you've got some serious concerns to contend with.  I know a lot of people in the organization and fans love Nichols, and he's a great team guy, but you can't ignore these issues.  May be best just to move on and start developing the next QB.  I don't think we can afford to throw big starter money at a QB who put up mediocre numbers the last 3 seasons and is coming off a major injury to his throwing arm.  Sure, you can bring him back and cut him in camp if you see the regression, but I have a feeling he's due a bonus here at the end of his contract that, if they're going to cut ties, would do it before that money was due.  Some would call it classless (if that's in fact the scenario), but when we'll be right tight up against the cap, it's just business at this point.

Edited by trueBlue83

I am not saying this is a definite but a possibility to consider. 

Nichols has had the shoulder worked on so we know there are no underlying defects. He is going to be working harder than ever on rehabbing and strengthening his shoulder. Probably also working on throwing technique and mechanics. It is entire possible that he comes back better than before. His lower body has also had extra time to heal and strengthen. 

I am not a Nichols lover, have even called called him softer than his wife. What I didn’t realize is that he has a huge fire burning inside but keeps it in check on the field. I think if he would let some of the passion he showed at The Forks on display a little more often fans are going to support and get behind him more.

I now firmly believe that he’s been neutered by Lapo and once he gets some different leadership he will be a differential person. 

I’d like to see him on a 2 year deal with a full starter price the first year and a lower with playing time bonuses the second year to back up Strev. 

Is it possible? I’d like to think so...

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

I am not saying this is a definite but a possibility to consider. 

Nichols has had the shoulder worked on so we know there are no underlying defects. He is going to be working harder than ever on rehabbing and strengthening his shoulder. Probably also working on throwing technique and mechanics. It is entire possible that he comes back better than before. His lower body has also had extra time to heal and strengthen. 

I am not a Nichols lover, have even called called him softer than his wife. What I didn’t realize is that he has a huge fire burning inside but keeps it in check on the field. I think if he would let some of the passion he showed at The Forks on display a little more often fans are going to support and get behind him more.

I now firmly believe that he’s been neutered by Lapo and once he gets some different leadership he will be a differential person. 

I’d like to see him on a 2 year deal with a full starter price the first year and a lower with playing time bonuses the second year to back up Strev. 

Is it possible? I’d like to think so...

Not that I would keep Collaros over Nichols, but I prefer Zach's cold fish personality to Nichols overly emotional blubbery, when the bullets fly it's generally the QB that maintains the cooler head  and seems disconnected that prevails.  Both Fajardo and Evans are on the blubbery side.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not that I would keep Collaros over Nichols, but I prefer Zach's cold fish personality to Nichols overly emotional blubbery, when the bullets fly it's generally the QB that maintains the cooler head  and seems disconnected that prevails.  Both Fajardo and Evans are on the blubbery side.

I agree with you on that. 

The overwhelming majority of stone cold killer QBs I have seen are non over reactive.

3 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

I’m hoping you remember 2008 when we walked away from our veteran qb to go with the young guy right? I’d rather not go back into the years of having unproven qbs but that’s just me.

Oh I remember - its a huge difference now though...  Collaros is going back to Toronto and rumours that Nichols may not be ready plus I remember Khari's shoulder injury...

We also gave Lefors possibly the worst gameplan, no Oline and a bare bones receiving core... so there's that...

On 2019-12-05 at 1:37 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

yes at least we got a year out of him, which is more than I can say for a lot of our other draft picks, like that Mulumba guy that Mack drafted a few years ago that never played a down in the NFL, but hung on to practice rosters for years.  

Two guys Mack drafted actually & we had daily reports on their whereabouts for 4 freaking years. Everytime they were released there was a frenzy. Yep, they're coming. They're coming!!! Sure. They did us all a favour by retiring as practice roster NFL players. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27