2020 CFL Free-Agents

M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Not necessarily. We've seen in the past how some top NFL players were absolute duds in the CFL. 

You're talking about players who were top guys at one point in their careers. By the time they try the CFL most are just trying to find their game again.

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Not necessarily. We've seen in the past how some top NFL players were absolute duds in the CFL. 

That's true to an extent... but we've never really seen a true NFL superstar, in their prime, compete in the CFL...

Most guys who have come to the CFL and failed are not, and probably never were, at the level of the list that I quoted...

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's true to an extent... but we've never really seen a true NFL superstar, in their prime, compete in the CFL...

Most guys who have come to the CFL and failed are not, and probably never were, at the level of the list that I quoted...

Vince Ferragamo says hello

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

so does Ricky Williams.....although not a "dud" in the CFL, he was pretty average.   526 rushing yards in 11 games, 2 TD's.    Certainly there were many NFL fans who thought he would dominate here, but he didn't.

Yup... Guy went on from having a pretty mediocre season in the CFL to be a reasonably good rusher in the NFL for another 5 years (including a 1000 yard rushing season in 2008).

Probably a pretty good example of a Tier 2 (not absolutely elite, but highly regarded) NFL athlete who was only good when he came to the CFL (if he'd been able to play for the entire year he would have been in the mix for best RB in the league... but definitely not a hands down selection).

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Brandon Banks, but bigger, faster, and better.

Yep. Can you imagine what he would do in brandon banks role in hamilton? insanity. 

37 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Yup... Guy went on from having a pretty mediocre season in the CFL to be a reasonably good rusher in the NFL for another 5 years (including a 1000 yard rushing season in 2008).

Probably a pretty good example of a Tier 2 (not absolutely elite, but highly regarded) NFL athlete who was only good when he came to the CFL (if he'd been able to play for the entire year he would have been in the mix for best RB in the league... but definitely not a hands down selection).

Ricky williams was more then reasonably good when he returned to the nfl. He had the second best year of his career. 1,121 rushing yards, 4.7 YPC 11 tds with 264 receiving yards and 2 more tds. 1,385 yards from the line and 13 tds isnt second tier, or only good. 

He would not have been in the discussion for best back that year. He played just under 2/3s of the season, if you doubled his totals he would end up 600 rushing yards and 8 tds behind charles roberts (hed also be 150 yards receiving behind blink for about 750 total yards behind)

We see countless high tier prospects sizzle out in camp despite nfl success and great ncaa pedigree because they cant adapt their skill set to the cfl game. Plenty of stars would not make it up here because they have been doing the same stuff from HS to ncaa, to the NFL and wouldnt be able to adapt. A bunch of physical Dbs, Qbs who run heavy sets and are ok to read 3 pass options,  we havent seen a TE succeed in the cfl in ages (though I think it could make a come back) and positions that dont over lap here, a chunk of backs wouldnt make it for not being able to make it out of the heavy set us schemes or with the huge volume. 

Just like any thing else, a player can be a star with another team in the league but not make it after a trade or FA contract. Or guys who get cut up here only to get another nfl contract and stick. Elite play can be very fleeting. How many stars in the nfl, cfl and ncaa look bad when they suddenly go from playing mostly in warm weather / domes to playing in freezing temperatures and snow? 

• 3 years later...
On 2019-12-03 at 8:46 AM, Geebrr said:

I have a feeling Jake Thomas will hang up the cleats for good this year.

I always navigate threads by clicking the "Next unread topic" button. So I always get a daily dose of #oldtakesexposed that I ignore because hindsight is 20/20.

But this one was funny. 4 years later!

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

I always navigate threads by clicking the "Next unread topic" button. So I always get a daily dose of #oldtakesexposed that I ignore because hindsight is 20/20.

But this one was funny. 4 years later!

I’m pretty confident he will retire with in the next 4 years though… …. .. maybe.