Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

...and yet Griffiths couldn't steal a single reg. season rep. from Jake before they decided he was ready enough to replace  Nevis.

Richardson is replacing Nevis - Griffiths will rotate with Jake

There was already a logjam at DT with imports - why would you play your draft pick over Thomas?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah, that's what I recall. He came to a tryout camp as a DB and they liked his build and skillset at DE and tried him there and it clicked.

Yeah and only 26 so has upside..had 30 tackles and 5 sacks in 2017 in limited reps

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Richardson is replacing Nevis - Griffiths will rotate with Jake

There was already a logjam at DT with imports - why would you play your draft pick over Thomas?

Do you really expect Richardson to play an enitre game without substitution?  There were 3 DT's last year and they all played aprox. the same number of snaps, there are 3 DT's (so far) this year and they will all play aprox. the same number of snaps.  Griffiths is in, Nevis is out, it's not that complicated, unless they're planning to use DE's at DT often, it is looking like there will be times when Griffiths and Jake  are on the field together.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Do you really expect Richardson to play an enitre game without substitution?  There were 3 DT's last year and they all played aprox. the same number of snaps, there are 3 DT's (so far) this year and they will all play aprox. the same number of snaps.  Griffiths is in, Nevis is out, it's not that complicated, unless they're planning to use DE's at DT often, there will be times when Griffiths and Jake  are on the field together.

Yes, but also no. It's not so cut and dry. I doubt Griffiths and Jake will be on the field much at all together, to be honest ... it just seems like an inefficient use of personnel.

I think we're more likely to see Jeffcoat/Jefferson line up inside, some packages involving Antigha and Jefferson where they mix and match to create a 3 man rush and drop one of them back into coverage, all that kind of stuff before we see our two DTs that are lesser talents than so many other options taking snaps at the same time. Will it happen? Almost definitely. Often? I doubt it and I also hope not.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Yes, but also no. It's not so cut and dry. I doubt Griffiths and Jake will be on the field much at all together, to be honest ... it just seems like an inefficient use of personnel.

I think we're more likely to see Jeffcoat/Jefferson line up inside, some packages involving Antigha and Jefferson where they mix and match to create a 3 man rush and drop one of them back into coverage, all that kind of stuff before we see our two DTs that are lesser talents than so many other options taking snaps at the same time. Will it happen? Almost definitely. Often? I doubt it and I also hope not.

Hope you're right, but I think we may see Hansen handling the inside reps. more often than not.

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Do you really expect Richardson to play an enitre game without substitution?  There were 3 DT's last year and they all played aprox. the same number of snaps, there are 3 DT's (so far) this year and they will all play aprox. the same number of snaps.  Griffiths is in, Nevis is out, it's not that complicated, unless they're planning to use DE's at DT often, it is looking like there will be times when Griffiths and Jake  are on the field together.

I actually think we will trend towards a 3-4 defence and quite likely have 3 DE on the field with a nose tackle for several schemes

We are stocked with DE prospects besides the starters

You will probably never see Jake and Griffiths in together other than injury or short yardage...and will see lots of 3 ends altogether in the modified Cheetah (seeing as Kongbo gone we can't go full cheetah due to ratio) We went heavy with that last year in last 4-5 games and was highly effective.

I still also think Walter's is doing a bit of a smoke screen and we may still employ a young Canuck at safety and allow us to be more creative upfront like last year...and this signing kinda has the sneaky makings of that....Alexander is great there, but really if you have a guy who is athletic and can close on a ball, and has moderate to good cover skills (something Hecht didn't) but both Hallet and Exume do then his value to the overall defence is better at half or corner...All of a sudden a backfield of Jones..Johnson..Taylor..Alexander with the option to have Richardson in a nose type spot with a combo of the jeff's and one of McCallister...Toby A and Hansen coming from all over...with Bigie now getting free reign to do whatever...could be pretty lethal

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's a 98% probability that we'll have a DI defensive lineman as we did last season with Richardson and/or Roh.  Antigha probably takes the DI LB spot and can take reps in different packages in different spots.

You're way overthinking this 4 months out.  Richardson was a rookie last year and they'll be a bunch of guys competing for jobs again at the bottom of the roster both Canadian and import.