Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Hate to break it to you but the short yard passing is simply winning football. Instead of turning the ball over when a play isn’t there the team gives its best player (Harris) a chance to break a tackle or two on second and long. It may not be sexy but we’ve been one of the highest scoring teams in the league since 2016 and we’ve won a lot of games with that formula. It’s not exciting football but it’s winning football. 

Maintaining the short game also limits Zach's exposure to getting sacked, the quicker he gets rid of the ball the better his odds of surviving  to play another game.  Unfortunately gambling the season on  the safety of Zach's bulbacious noggin will limit the passing attack as illustrated in Ferguson's chart.

38 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Maintaining the short game also limits Zach's exposure to getting sacked, the quicker he gets rid of the ball the better his odds of surviving  to play another game.  Unfortunately gambling the season on  the safety of Zach's bulbacious noggin will limit the passing attack as illustrated in Ferguson's chart.

Danny Mac made a career out of this. IIRC there was a stretch of games in his hay day, longer than a season combined, where he didn't get sacked. And he was as immobile as they come.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

On 2020-02-03 at 6:28 PM, Noeller said:

I thought players were putting that bonus in there on purpose so they would have enough time to find a new gig with someone else.......or somesuch.......but I thought the Jan/Feb roster bonus was brought about by the players themselves...

This is it exactly.    The Jan/Feb bonus isn't a reward for last season, it is up-front money for the upcoming season.    Kind of like a down payment for future services.     In many ways, it's like a season ticket holder paying a down payment for the upcoming season, if you make the down payment, the service provider doesn't sell your ticket to someone else, and then you pay the balance as the season starts or progresses.    If you don't make the down payment, then the service provided may sell your seat to someone else.

In this case the team has to make the payment to the player in order to secure their rights for the coming season.   If not, the player can sell their services to someone else.    

Edited by Jaxon
spelling

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Ricky Ray too. 

At kevin glenns best he beat the rush with his release too. Being able to pull off beating the rush with quick decision and release is one of the hardest things to defend. That and a running qb imo. 

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I was surprised they were able to retain Petermann, I don't know what to make of bringing JFG back.

Wonder if it means demski is taking a smaller role or not gonna be back. 

Love what JFG brings in terms of heart and work ethic. Always came up big when called upon too. 

Lyles is interesting. 6'4 4.38 11' broad and 40" vert. If he can be put in a position where he isnt needed to cover solo deep a lot he's a good get. Right now has to be hidden a bit, but could develop better decision making and coverage with coaching, hes still really young. 

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

odd signing in Guidino....unless we have a trade of some sort in the works for draft position or something and are going to move Peterman

Likely replacement for foot soldiers like Hecht, Rush, Janke...depth guy who can take snaps on offense if needed but trusted contributor for special teams.

7 minutes ago, Stickem said:

How did JFG leave, can't remember was it through fa or did we trade him??? This is really an off the map move...AND like others I hope they don't plan on moving Petermann...He really hasn't hit his true potential here and to move him would be  hard  to swallow for this fan

We lost JFG to free agency when he signed with Ottawa in 2018. He didn't do much there and  was released last August. I remember him making a few clutch grabs for the Bombers when he was here. I agree with you on Petermann - hope we use him more! And then we've got Woli who re-upped. 

Edited by Doublezero

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Odd that Peterman would re-up with us if that was the case

He's signed through this season.

What exactly do people think his trade worth is?  Probably not much more than 4th or 5th round pick.  It's a 44 man roster, don't overanalyze signings for the bottom third of it too much.  The coach trusts JFG and knows him.  He's a guy to play teams and slot in if there's a pinch on O in terms of injury.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's signed through this season.

What exactly do people think his trade worth is?  Probably not much more than 4th or 5th round pick.  It's a 44 man roster, don't overanalyze signings for the bottom third of it too much.  The coach trusts JFG and knows him.  He's a guy to play teams and slot in if there's a pinch on O in terms of injury.

All I know from watching Petermann perform is that he was solid everytime we put him in...which wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned...Guidino is average to below average...He's a hustler like Hecht and that's it....Bad move to downgrade if that's what's happening...When's the last time a club did us a solid Booch...few and nonexistent if my memory serves