Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

We have a ton of cap to spend, I’d be prepared to be the top offer for Willie if I’m Walters.

we have to spend our cash somewhere, it may as well be on him. No top $$$ QB, no big money receiver, no first round pick to pay this year, no big money in our secondary. We have a lot of cash to throw around.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

We have a ton of cap to spend, I’d be prepared to be the top offer for Willie if I’m Walters.

we have to spend our cash somewhere, it may as well be on him. No top $$$ QB, no big money receiver, no first round pick to pay this year, no big money in our secondary. We have a lot of cash to throw around.

I would like us to put a bit more money in our secondary. I don't know if anyone in our stable is going to be able to jump right in a shutdown the league's best.

If it meant not going hard after a big named receiver I'd be okay with that

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Forget not Willie took less money to come to Winnipeg then staying in Regina.      Even if Toronto throws a higher number...  I won't assume that he automatically will take it.   Maybe the Blue offer a longer deal with more guaranteed money.    

I'm not assuming he's gone just yet. 

If I'm Walters I also remind Willie how many guys are being released by T.O. just before their bonuses are due & how much extra money he stands to make from the playoffs with us.  Just some extra food for thought when he's weighing his options.

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

If I'm Walters I also remind Willie how many guys are being released by T.O. just before their bonuses are due & how much extra money he stands to make from the playoffs with us.  Just some extra food for thought when he's weighing his options.

I don't think they care about this February bonus thing.

46 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I would like us to put a bit more money in our secondary. I don't know if anyone in our stable is going to be able to jump right in a shutdown the league's best.

If it meant not going hard after a big named receiver I'd be okay with that

None of the FA DBs interest me that much.

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't think they care about this February bonus thing.

Bryant Mitchell disagrees. He shared his thoughts on twitter the other day when Adjei got released by Edmonton.  He figures it's one of the reasons why you see more 1 year contracts.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I thought players were putting that bonus in there on purpose so they would have enough time to find a new gig with someone else.......or somesuch.......but I thought the Jan/Feb roster bonus was brought about by the players themselves...

Exactly. It forces a team to cut you before the bonus and leaves the player the chance to sign with another team before the FA money is spoken for. 

Bryant Mitchell is on an island

On 2020-02-03 at 10:42 AM, TBURGESS said:

Damn! It's what I was expecting, but I held out hope until today. Good luck to Streveler in the NFL.

The important thing is we've moved on from the Lapo/#15 era. It served it's purpose but man, I couldn't have stood another season of dump offs and 3 yard passes on second and 8.

Bombers seem to be bringing in quite a few Import O-linemen.

BOMBERS ADD TWO LINEMEN

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American offensive lineman Kevin Lawrence and Jarell Broxton.

Lawrence (6-4, 310, Rhode Island, January 17, 1998, Bloomfield, Conn) started all 11 games on the offensive line in his Junior year and was named to CAA Football Comissioner’s Academic Honor Roll. Lawrence started 12 games in his senior year at right tackle and helped allow just 2.17 sacks per game in his senior year.

Broxton (6-3, 330, Baylor, March 23, 1993 in Olney, MD) was a two-year starter for the Bears after transferring from junior college. He was an all Big-12 first-team selection and helped the Bears to the nation’s No. 2-ranked rushing offense. He signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2016, and spent most of that season on their practice roster.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Bombers seem to be bringing in quite a few Import O-linemen.

BOMBERS ADD TWO LINEMEN

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American offensive lineman Kevin Lawrence and Jarell Broxton.

Lawrence (6-4, 310, Rhode Island, January 17, 1998, Bloomfield, Conn) started all 11 games on the offensive line in his Junior year and was named to CAA Football Comissioner’s Academic Honor Roll. Lawrence started 12 games in his senior year at right tackle and helped allow just 2.17 sacks per game in his senior year.

Broxton (6-3, 330, Baylor, March 23, 1993 in Olney, MD) was a two-year starter for the Bears after transferring from junior college. He was an all Big-12 first-team selection and helped the Bears to the nation’s No. 2-ranked rushing offense. He signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2016, and spent most of that season on their practice roster.

as they did last year. 

4 hours ago, J5V said:

The important thing is we've moved on from the Lapo/#15 era. It served it's purpose but man, I couldn't have stood another season of dump offs and 3 yard passes on second and 8.

Have you taken a look at Collaros's passing chart? Get used to the short dump offs they are not going anywhere. Something like 85% of ZC's throws with us last year were within 5 yards of the LOS. He just took a couple more shots down the field per game than Nichols, and had more success doing so.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Have you taken a look at Collaros's passing chart? Get used to the short dump offs they are not going anywhere. Something like 85% of ZC's throws with us last year were within 5 yards of the LOS. He just took a couple more shots down the field per game than Nichols, and had more success doing so.

Key word tho is last year, who's to say that Buck will base his offence around that, especially with Zack showing he can make the long throws, and the fact that McGuire can stretch a field with the best of them...

40 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

as they did last year. 

Always gotta be looking for the next great young talent at every position. Tackle is a more athletically and mentally demanding position though. We have two of the best right now, but you never know when its all over. And I wouldnt blame bryant in the least if he didnt want to play till the wheels fall off. 

Hate to break it to you but the short yard passing is simply winning football. Instead of turning the ball over when a play isn’t there the team gives its best player (Harris) a chance to break a tackle or two on second and long. It may not be sexy but we’ve been one of the highest scoring teams in the league since 2016 and we’ve won a lot of games with that formula. It’s not exciting football but it’s winning football. 

You have to understand too, a lot of those short passes were basically schemed run plays, to have the runner attack the defense from different spots, if you go back and look at film you will see they were not plays that were last resort/panic/nobody open/lack of confidence in the QB things...routes and blocks were set-up treating it as a running play...many a time the receivers were setting up blocks or already engaged prior to Harris having the ball in his hands...that was a planned thing