Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

******* Colin.... Ridiculous take, as always. Whitehead was so excited at GC, going around and talking to all the fans after the game. He's excited to be a Bomber. If they want him back, he'll be back. 

Whitehead isn't a potential free agent so if they didn't want him they likely would have released by now.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nelson was better then Whitehead... that being said I'd like to see Whitehead get a 2nd chance with Pierce as the OC.

Very different guys. Nelson is smart, tough, and a hard nosed running. North south guy who always gets you some thing positive. Whitehead is lightning in a bottle. He could score any time he touches the ball. He could also fumble, stumble, or completely miss read his blocks and take it out side for little to nothing when he had good yards up the middle. 

Its kinda like blinks returning vs stokes. But we dont have to pick one or the other any time soon. Both will be in camp and have a chance to make the team maybe even get serious wr reps. They could even both be rostered (though not likely) and split the field. Whitehead on one side forces the cover team to be much wider and leave more lanes for nelson. Some thing we did a good bit last year. Im very happy to have them both in blue too. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Aside from the one great TD from Whitehead,  I can't remember seeing him do absolutely anything else during the regular season.  

He had a nice short sideline pass that he ran about fifty yards for a td. Then they used  that play about five hundred times, to the point where a fan watching on tv knew it was coming. but they kept running it. and it kept not working.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Nelson is too slow and a dime a dozen returner.

Disagree.  He was quite good on punts.  Not all going to be big returns or TD's.  He was reliable which is key.  Grant is better especially if he comes back having worked on ball control and snagging punts.

Nelson also brings a lot of value with his work covering kicks as a DI/extra import if we keeping rolling with 8 Canadian starters.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Very different guys. Nelson is smart, tough, and a hard nosed running. North south guy who always gets you some thing positive. Whitehead is lightning in a bottle. He could score any time he touches the ball. He could also fumble, stumble, or completely miss read his blocks and take it out side for little to nothing when he had good yards up the middle. 

Its kinda like blinks returning vs stokes. But we dont have to pick one or the other any time soon. Both will be in camp and have a chance to make the team maybe even get serious wr reps. They could even both be rostered (though not likely) and split the field. Whitehead on one side forces the cover team to be much wider and leave more lanes for nelson. Some thing we did a good bit last year. Im very happy to have them both in blue too. 

Whitehead can't catch punts so being a returner in the CFL is basically an impossibility for him.  He will have to make it as a receiver.

What is wrong with signing a guy, who performed well for us before injury, to come to camp and try earn a job? I don't think anyone is handing a job to Charles Nelson, but signing him to come in and compete is a good move. He may be among the first cuts in TC, or maybe he comes in and steals a job...he's capable of either.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree.  He was quite good on punts.  Not all going to be big returns or TD's.  He was reliable which is key.  Grant is better especially if he comes back having worked on ball control and snagging punts.

Nelson also brings a lot of value with his work covering kicks as a DI/extra import if we keeping rolling with 8 Canadian starters.

Nelson has played in 4 games over 2 years.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

******* Colin.... Ridiculous take, as always. Whitehead was so excited at GC, going around and talking to all the fans after the game. He's excited to be a Bomber. If they want him back, he'll be back. 

Im not looking at the person when I say he seems like the type. I'm looking at the big picture.  He's a guy who spent significant time in the NFL and he was good enough to be an NFL return guy before he was met with misfortune.  He's currently #2 or #3 on the returner depth chart in Winnipeg. That's all i'm looking at here.  He's a candidate to give up. He will have to come into camp and show some things he wasn't capable of last year in order to have a chance to crack the roster. Save for an injury Grant is the primary return guy.  Am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im not looking at the person when I say he seems like the type. I'm looking at the big picture.  He's a guy who spent significant time in the NFL and he was good enough to be an NFL return guy before he was met with misfortune.  He's currently #2 or #3 on the returner depth chart in Winnipeg. That's all i'm looking at here.  He's a candidate to give up. He will have to come into camp and show some things he wasn't capable of last year in order to have a chance to crack the roster. Save for an injury Grant is the primary return guy.  Am I wrong?

Yup

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Give it up, Colin. You're calling him a quitter.