Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We're definitely going DI at PR/KR...

Who's our NI Safety or DT then...?  Thomas must be coming back

There is some in-house options at safety and maybe some vets in the fa market. Thomas might not be back with that griffiths kid. They are cut from the same stone 

3 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

There is some in-house options at safety and maybe some vets in the fa market. Thomas might not be back with that griffiths kid. They are cut from the same stone 

Griffiths will be in the roster. He was not cut and he did not end on the PR at the end of the season.

40 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Maybe they like Nelson more than whitehead??

I remember O'Shea gushing over Nelson. He wasn't directly comparing him to Charles Roberts, but the way he talked about him reminded me of the same qualities.  Slippery, can't find him when he's coming out of the backfield, fast, good hands.  The only thing he doesn't have is size. Probably isn't as strong as Grant and not as fast as Whitehead...but his other qualities make him a better slot.

Griffiths I can see as this years 50-60% of plays rotation...maybe we exchange Nevis for Laing outta T.O...National...in his prime...brings a nice bit of nasty to his game as well...also played when Oshea was in T.O as a coach still as well, so he would know him well

Nelson also played defensive back in university, so versatile.

Also, I think O'Shea likes players that are willing to be patient.

While the sophomore didn't play a single defensive down as a freshman, his hard-hitting exploits on special teams at times overshadowed his 428 yards and five touchdowns on 34 touches last season.    :117_eyes:

One of the biggest personnel moves of the offseason was Charles Nelson switching from wide receiver to defensive back. The coaches joked quite a bit last season about how so many different position coaches wanted to use him (though with all the OL injuries, Steve Greenwood somehow never tried to get him). He forced the coaches' hand in moving him from special teams to offense and was the Ducks' seventh-leading receiver by season's end.

Nelson practiced a bit on defense last season but was never used there during a game. It appears as though that will be his main spot, though.

The Oregonian's Tyson Alger writes that it shouldn't really be a surprise to see Nelson moved to the defense after how hard he hit on special teams last season and the Ducks' personnel losses in the secondary.

"Charles is just an outstanding football player everywhere we put him," [secondary coach John] Neal said. "Because of what he showed on special teams and his ability to tackle and create plays, we knew he could transition over relatively easy. He's smart. He's got all the right characteristics. We'll see how it goes

smart, versatile, do whatever they ask, hard hitting special teamer.....He fits the O'Shea model.

Edited by Mark F

Charles Nelson has legit upside even if he isn't really needed in the return game anymore. He can always fill in on returns as needed and has the potential to be a pretty good starting receiver. Bringing him back is a no-brainer especially if the XFL is having a material impact on the quality of rookies that are available to CFL teams. 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

By what criteria has Nelson been better?

As a punt returner I would prefer Nelson to Whitehead.  I feel like Nelson has shown the ability to adapt to the CFL more quickly than Whitehead and one of the big adjustments for a returner is in the fielding of punt returns. In the NFL there's rarely a tricky bounce that you have to deal with. In the NFL if anything seems dangerous whatsoever they just let it go due to the field position being less of the game. In the CFL there is a lot to gain by running in to a collection of defenders and just getting your hands on it to draw the no yards call. In any event Nelson just seemed to be further along in his understanding of the CFL game. Whitehead still has upside but he's going to have to come to camp as a CFL vet this season with a full understanding of how to take advantage of the CFL game. 

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Nelson was better then Whitehead... that being said I'd like to see Whitehead get a 2nd chance with Pierce as the OC.

Love to be proven wrong but Whitehead seems like the kind of guy who might not show up for camp.  Guys with that kind of NFL pedigree come to the CFL thinking they will dominate immediately. When that doesn't happen and they see a growing competition for their roster spot they have to make a decision to either fully engage in the CFL in the offseason and train harder than they've ever trained and think of new ways to make things happen in training camp. Sometimes these guys decide it's not worth it them.  I hope Whitehead has the right attitude about things and has a breakout season.  I'm just not holding my breath right now.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Love to be proven wrong but Whitehead seems like the kind of guy who might not show up for camp.  Guys with that kind of NFL pedigree come to the CFL thinking they will dominate immediately. When that doesn't happen and they see a growing competition for their roster spot they have to make a decision to either fully engage in the CFL in the offseason and train harder than they've ever trained and think of new ways to make things happen in training camp. Sometimes these guys decide it's not worth it them.  I hope Whitehead has the right attitude about things and has a breakout season.  I'm just not holding my breath right now.

I am not a Whitehead fan but feel the need to stick up for him here. This is nothing but hilarious couch analysis. We have no proof that he "seems like the kind of guy who might not show up for camp"  - and in fact he handled getting deactivated for some weeks just fine.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

but Whitehead seems like the kind of guy who might not show up for camp.

and I really don't think that's an accurate statement... That guy was as into the Grey Cup game as anyone and as into the post game celebrations with the fans as anyone. 

He seemed to really be enjoying everything and if the Bombers ask him back I bet he's back. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I am not a Whitehead fan but feel the need to stick up for him here. This is nothing but hilarious couch analysis. We have no proof that he "seems like the kind of guy who might not show up for camp"  - and in fact he handled getting deactivated for some weeks just fine.

Yeah, he's handled himself like a pro so why would we call into question his motives? Slow news day.

Whitehead is mostly speed, which he has a lot of. I feel like partway through the year he was battling an injury or was given too much responsibility as he didn't look to have as much of a burst.

Nelson is just more polished as a football player to me, has better vision for returns and runs better routes. He isn't as fast as Whitehead but uses his quickness well in small spaces.

You can't just outrun everybody in the pros.