Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Told you all to chill and that this was just a matter of announcing...this was basically done around christmas....so our entire line is back...with backups from our playoff and end of year run....we laughing

Good call!!!  So who else is going to sign??? Just to put us all at ease lol

44 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Good call!!!  So who else is going to sign??? Just to put us all at ease lol

I only drop a tidbit when I get it outta the horses mouth...or from a horse in the race so to speak...so nothing I know of as a for sure...Though I would not be surprised to see a Nevis deal at some point...possibly before free agency actually begins...especially with the Jefferson uncertainty at the moment...I think once the QB thing is cleared up that will have Nevis deal along with or shortly after...my opinion only there...That being said Walters has surely got Jefferson money accounted for in his 2020 projections at moment so he has an idea of whats left in the bank, as thats what the prudent GM's do in a situ like that, so bringin him back won't be much an issue

I don't think adams will make it into free agency honestly, Buck will want that veteran presence and he will have to severly get out played/performed by someone in TC to be let loose

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't think adams will make it into free agency honestly, Buck will want that veteran presence and he will have to severly get out played/performed by someone in TC to be let loose

You don't think the Blue won't kick the tires on a few of the free agents on the open market?   

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You don't think the Blue won't kick the tires on a few of the free agents on the open market?   

Not on offence I don't think...no need there really unless they can get Ryhmes...Thats the only guy I would want us to go after, or could see us going after

I could see us though going hard after one of Ciante Evans/Jonathon Rose/Jonathon Mincey...Possibly Kanneh if others resign with their teams prior to free agency....addition of any one of them would ease the loss of Rose and Sayles and a backfield of Alexander, Taylor, Jones and one of the aforementioned would be fine by me

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not on offence I don't think...no need there really unless they can get Ryhmes...Thats the only guy I would want us to go after, or could see us going after

I could see us though going hard after one of Ciante Evans/Jonathon Rose/Jonathon Mincey...Possibly Kanneh if others resign with their teams prior to free agency....addition of any one of them would ease the loss of Rose and Sayles and a backfield of Alexander, Taylor, Jones and one of the aforementioned would be fine by me

I think that the emergence of Lawler and Bailey will have us mainly kicking tires at REC. I think the priority, as it was last year, will be the DL by either re-signing current guys or spending that money in FA. If we can get guys like Willy etc locked down before FA we might have a pretty quiet day in FA. Some depth to replace the guys we are not re-signing...that's about it. Unless, of course, somebody's agent phones us and says his guy will come here for a deal price...which is unlikely.

Edited by GCn20

Mcallister is a Jefferson clone...but a bit faster, and if we didn't have Jeffcoat..Jefferson and Roh last year would have made the team outta camp...especially with Kongbo on the IR...This may signal the end of Roh's time here though especially if Willie is back, as he will have an increase in salary, and if we have Nevis back theres no room for Roh's vet salary 

If Willie is gone for the year to the NFL...Then a Jeffcoat/Roh/MCCallister rotation will serve us rather nicely

Bombers focused on signing quarterback Zach Collaros.

Three Winnipeg quarterbacks — Zach Collaros, Matt Nichols and Chris Streveler — are scheduled to hit the free agent market on February 11. With Streveler exploring NFL options and likely to sign a contract south of the border, the Bombers’ choices for a No. 1 option at QB were narrowed to two.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/20/bombers-focused-on-signing-quarterback-zach-collaros/

I agree with the decision to focus on Collaros. Neither of these options are a pillar of health. However, Collaros is hands down the more gifted of the two. He's a risk to get another injury or a concussion again but he showed that with all his injuries in the past he's still very physically gifted when healthy. And he won the Grey Cup. Nichols has IMO lost some zip on his passes and has zero mobility at this point in his career. I would consider looking at MBT as a backup should he be available. 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

That is a tad unsettling 

It would be unsettling due to the injury history of Zach (assuming he's the guy). However, it's not really that abnormal.  He's got the same amount of CFL experience in terms of being in the league for a year as Dane Evans and Nick Arbuckle had going into last season. You can't always have two proven winners. The teams that will remain competitive long term will be able to identify who can be a solid replacement at QB even if they haven't proven it on the field yet. If there is an opportunity to sign an experienced backup such as MBT or Nichols I would take it. But id rather designate the reps to a promising young QB like McGuire then a player that proved they couldn't get it done like Jennings or Franklin.  I'm willing to bet there are going to be experienced qb's floating around should an injury arise with many teams likely to go down to two quarterbacks. Or two quarterbacks and a third cheap rookie on the practice roster.  Think about it.  Two years ago we had Matt Nichols and an unknown rookie backup out of a small school as our backup. In this scenario Winnipeg would have two qb's with grey cup rings and neither of them rookies. 

15 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

It would be unsettling due to the injury history of Zach (assuming he's the guy). However, it's not really that abnormal.  He's got the same amount of CFL experience in terms of being in the league for a year as Dane Evans and Nick Arbuckle had going into last season. You can't always have two proven winners. The teams that will remain competitive long term will be able to identify who can be a solid replacement at QB even if they haven't proven it on the field yet. If there is an opportunity to sign an experienced backup such as MBT or Nichols I would take it. But id rather designate the reps to a promising young QB like McGuire then a player that proved they couldn't get it done like Jennings or Franklin.  I'm willing to bet there are going to be experienced qb's floating around should an injury arise with many teams likely to go down to two quarterbacks. Or two quarterbacks and a third cheap rookie on the practice roster.  Think about it.  Two years ago we had Matt Nichols and an unknown rookie backup out of a small school as our backup. In this scenario Winnipeg would have two qb's with grey cup rings and neither of them rookies. 

We actually had Darian Durant as our backup and then Alex Ross 

so I’d be surprised if they run with McGuire as backup

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We actually had Darian Durant as our backup and then Alex Ross 

so I’d be surprised if they run with McGuire as backup

We never actually had Durant though. And we survived the situation.   Believe me there is no doubt in my mind that Winnipeg would have an Alex Ross level of guy (at the very least) in camp to compete with McGuire.  I just don't seeing that type of guy beating McGuire out for the job. A guy like Brandon Bridge would actually have some value as he is somewhat serviceable as a stop gap and can get onto the roster as a Canadian and he's a pending free agent. With the new changes coming to CFL rosters I could really see Canadian QB's who can be described as being "somewhat serviceable" as having value. They can easily fit on the roster and allow teams to develop a younger American QB with upside.   If you're looking for an Alex Ross type guy to have in camp there are plenty at or above that level.  David Watford, Dakota Prukop, Logan Kilgore, and Danny O'Brien come to mind.