Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

26 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You can bet that if there's a team who seriously wants gimmick QB like the Saints have in Hill and were offering a decent bonus to Streveler to compete for that role he'd be interested.  

'Gimmick' QB.'.....to me that phrase does not give one the feeling of longevity at the position...'Well rounded' would be something you could see as more promising....Chris could be that 'well rounded' qb. in the CFL...in the nfl????big question mark..But all the luck to him 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think a lot of guys think he's massive like how Sellers was.... he's to small to play FB/TE but also to big to play RB.   His only chance would be at receiver in which he would also be extremely raw.   People forget that the NFL really is black and white with their guys unlike the CFL.   They will not modify the offense like LaPo for a guy like Strev.  

It's getting a lot less black and white as it becomes more of a speed and deception game.  Realize the Wildcat came from Arkansas then Urban Meyer's time at Florida then through the NFL.  That was happening long before the CFL picked up on having those gadget plays with RPO and different guys taking snaps.  The NFL like every level is looking for guys that are multiple.   Every team has at least one guy that basically can't be classified between tailback/receiver/TE/FB.  And now they are adding guys who have QB skills but also those athletic skills to carry the ball and run routes.  Teams are winning by relying on those types of players.  Look at the final four, Tennessee and San Fran are not running a typical offense at all.  Tennessee is running an option offense that Streveler would be perfect for, look at how many snaps they are running with what we used to call "wingbacks" in front of Henry.  San Fran is running a modified West Coast that basically has no outside receiving threat, their best wideout is essentially a tailback who often runs routes from inside the tackles  and their best overall receiver is an H-Back.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

ACtually Strev is not 230....he is about 220 on a heavy day...and doesnt run a sub 4,40...his make up is a dime a dozen in the U.S....And many are slightly more polished...even the ones coming out of top NCAA programs even though Strev has 2 years of pro experience...he may get a sniff....but be hard pressed to make an active roster there and doubt wants to bounce around on PR's...he has already said that 

He also has never played teams...and sure he can learn but why would a team roster him for that and have him learn on the fly, and not be very proficient at it when they have umpteen other prospects to choose from who can do it..and do it well

Dime a dozen QB's who athletically are at the top of their draft class?  You're going to be hard pressed to find a QB with anywhere near the passing success Streveler had in NCAA as well as the measurables, then add on what he's done here.  There are some pure option/RPO guys that might run as fast, but not a single one like him as a total package.  A football player who is willing to be a football player and has trained his whole life as a QB, huge football IQ.  A team is going to roster him to run certain packages.  Hill is the blueprint.  He's gradually been integrated into the offense more and more.  First season he's mostly chasing kicks.  On the PR doesn't dress until game 13.  Next season he's returning kickoffs, running an option set as QB with Brees on the field as well and playing H-Back.  This season he's gradually worked into the offense more as an H-Back, still taking snaps in some sets but playing almost half of the offensive snaps as an H-Back/slot receiver.

More and more NFL teams are operating redzone option/RPO packages similar to what Lapo ran successfully with Streveler here.  Even if Streveler doesn't end up developing the receiving abilities Hill has he's hugely useful carrying the ball and running the option package.  To me Green Bay is the perfect fit for Streveler in terms of how he would compliment Rodgers and that offense.  If I'm Streveler or his agent I'm avoiding Arizona as their starting QB is an option guy, Miami and Tampa it's hard to say who their starter next season will be and what that would mean for a guy like Streveler in terms of being that compliment.  Really I'd be looking for an opening similar to the role he played here with the starter being more of a pocket guy where he could run a separate package.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's getting a lot less black and white as it becomes more of a speed and deception game.  Realize the Wildcat came from Arkansas then Urban Meyer's time at Florida then through the NFL.  That was happening long before the CFL picked up on having those gadget plays with RPO and different guys taking snaps.  The NFL like every level is looking for guys that are multiple.   Every team has at least one guy that basically can't be classified between tailback/receiver/TE/FB.  And now they are adding guys who have QB skills but also those athletic skills to carry the ball and run routes.  Teams are winning by relying on those types of players.  Look at the final four, Tennessee and San Fran are not running a typical offense at all.  Tennessee is running an option offense that Streveler would be perfect for, look at how many snaps they are running with what we used to call "wingbacks" in front of Henry.  San Fran is running a modified West Coast that basically has no outside receiving threat, their best wideout is essentially a tailback who often runs routes from inside the tackles  and their best overall receiver is an H-Back.

Dime a dozen QB's who athletically are at the top of their draft class?  You're going to be hard pressed to find a QB with anywhere near the passing success Streveler had in NCAA as well as the measurables, then add on what he's done here.  There are some pure option/RPO guys that might run as fast, but not a single one like him as a total package.  A football player who is willing to be a football player and has trained his whole life as a QB, huge football IQ.  A team is going to roster him to run certain packages.  Hill is the blueprint.  He's gradually been integrated into the offense more and more.  First season he's mostly chasing kicks.  On the PR doesn't dress until game 13.  Next season he's returning kickoffs, running an option set as QB with Brees on the field as well and playing H-Back.  This season he's gradually worked into the offense more as an H-Back, still taking snaps in some sets but playing almost half of the offensive snaps as an H-Back/slot receiver.

More and more NFL teams are operating redzone option/RPO packages similar to what Lapo ran successfully with Streveler here.  Even if Streveler doesn't end up developing the receiving abilities Hill has he's hugely useful carrying the ball and running the option package.  To me Green Bay is the perfect fit for Streveler in terms of how he would compliment Rodgers and that offense.  If I'm Streveler or his agent I'm avoiding Arizona as their starting QB is an option guy, Miami and Tampa it's hard to say who their starter next season will be and what that would mean for a guy like Streveler in terms of being that compliment.  Really I'd be looking for an opening similar to the role he played here with the starter being more of a pocket guy where he could run a separate package.

Dime a dozen athletes with his measureable...I have already stated his passing stats his senior year..they are top notch...but he won't be viewed there as a number 1 guy to compete...most likely a 3rd and never dressed, and if he is to make it doing other things..teams...te..fullback...there are far better choices to choose from where guys have been doing elusively that...for years and years..Strev hasn't and for all his phenomenal attributes, being signed and groomed as a QB option there are gonna be slim...bordering on none...

And yeah...he will have to find the perfect situation with a team willing and wanting to run gimicks...and have a supporting cast now to allow for it...and again...those spots are pretty far and few between

If anyone thinks that Streveler couldn't add value to an NFL team is mistaken imo. People are too hell bent on his ability as a traditional QB, his value comes in his unique physical abilities. Teams, even NFL teams, have to game plan for him. I think a lot of people not familiar with coaching tend to understate the importance of that. Every minute spent in practice, film room, or in meetings dealing with him is a minute that they are not preparing for something else. Even if he is not used at all in a game one week because of circumstance, he has taken away from the oppositions time to game plan and prepare for other aspects of his team

Until this type of player becomes commonplace in the NFL, and when they are successful every team will try to find one, it will create game planning and preparation problems for the opposition. I can see Streveler easily getting an NFL contract because the upside is just way too high for a guy with his unique upside. Will he ever be a QB1 in the NFL? Highly doubtful .Could he carve out a long and successful career as a gadget guy? I think he could and will and make some serious bank doing so. At least until every other team unearths their own Hill/Streveler and then the game planning/preparation will be week to week for all teams and their abilities to contribute will likely be vastly reduced. That will take a few years though.

Edited by GCn20

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

Dime a dozen athletes with his measureable...I have already stated his passing stats his senior year..they are top notch...but he won't be viewed there as a number 1 guy to compete...most likely a 3rd and never dressed, and if he is to make it doing other things..teams...te..fullback...there are far better choices to choose from where guys have been doing elusively that...for years and years..Strev hasn't and for all his phenomenal attributes, being signed and groomed as a QB option there are gonna be slim...bordering on none...

And yeah...he will have to find the perfect situation with a team willing and wanting to run gimicks...and have a supporting cast now to allow for it...and again...those spots are pretty far and few between

I agree. NFL teams have huge rosters and can easily roster a guy like Streveler that might see a snap or two a week. Especially when it's highly likely he can contribute on teams.

Edited by GCn20

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wish Streveler the best with his NFL tryouts, like all former CFL players. But, the Taysom Hill model is one of a kind for a reason. There have to be a lot of factors involved to make it work. Supporting cast - as you indicated. The Saints have a legitimate back up QB who was an NFL starter - Teddy Brigdewater - and a hall of famer at QB. So, they're more likely to use a roster spot for a Swiss army knife QB hybrid than most teams. Most NFL teams dress two QB's and load up on other rotational players for game day - DE, WR, DB. Plus, the Saints have Sean Payton - great offensive coach and a real innovator. Not sure many OC's could use that type of player as well as he has. 

I just think that we're not going to see a huge uptick in NFL teams looking to replicate what the Saints have. That said, I could see Streveler sitting on a practice roster for a season down there.

Edited by M.Silverback

42 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I wish Streveler the best with his NFL tryouts, like all former CFL players. But, the Taysom Hill model is one of a kind for a reason. There have to be a lot of factors involved to make it work. Supporting cast - as you indicated. The Saints have a legitimate back up QB who was an NFL starter - Teddy Brigdewater - and a hall of famer at QB. So, they're more likely to use a roster spot for a Swiss army knife QB hybrid than most teams. Most NFL teams dress two QB's and load up on other rotational players for game day - DE, WR, DB. Plus, the Saints have Sean Payton - great offensive coach and a real innovator. Not sure many OC's could use that type of player as well as he has. 

I just think that we're not going to see a huge uptick in NFL teams looking to replicate what the Saints have. That said, I could see Streveler sitting on a practice roster for a season down there.

Conceivably he could...but if he wants to develop as a true QB....Like he has mentioned, and gets a decent deal up here in a QB1B range salary wise, he would develop more...most likely make more than the minimum PR salary in NFL (if you are on it for full season is 136k)...which equates to about 175k Canadian....many times too an NFL team drops pr guys for a week or 2...puts them back on...so you aren't even guaranteed the full season amount....he would toil in obscurity, with little fanfare adoration, where in Canada would be front and center and considewred a rock star...

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

But, the Taysom Hill model is one of a kind for a reason

I watched some of Vikings v. Saints, Taysom Hill threw a touchdown pass, that was probably the worst floater I've seen in either league.

lucky for him that the coverage was completely blown, the receiver had to wait a fair while for the rainbow to arrive.

He's not an NFL or CFL qb if that was the best he can do. Just a giant guy who will do anything they ask. Kind of another Tebow.

Way too much being made of that guy. just typical American hoopla.

small field, tiny openings to complete passes.... not going to work for Chris at this point.

And I can imagine the avalanche  of bullshit that flows their way when guys like him are being checked out.

Anyway, good luck to him, hope he makes it for his sake. just saw Sayles listed on Vikings roster.... salary five hundred thousand US.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I watched some of Vikings v. Saints, Taysom Hill threw a touchdown pass, that was probably the worst floater I've seen in either league.

lucky for him that the coverage was completely blown, the receiver had to wait a fair while for the rainbow to arrive.

He's not an NFL or CFL qb if that was the best he can do. Just a giant guy who will do anything they ask. Kind of another Tebow.

Way too much being made of that guy. just typical American hoopla.

Agree. That's why I don't think you're going to see a run on NFL teams trying to replicate this. Do you think you could convince a coach like Mike Zimmer to use up a roster spot for a gimmick player who is going to throw one pass, catch one pass, maybe make one run per game, over a rotational DE or DB? Who also can step in for injuries? No chance. 

29 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wow, are you bucking to be Streveler's agent? So much "fact" spinning here.

As much as some say the NFL game is evolving, the traditional approach is to have a QB who is "pass first, run if necessary". NFL may want athletes with multiple skills at other positions, but for a QB they want someone who can throw the ball. Look at the all-time greats in the NFL since the 1980's and the introduction of the more dynamic ("west coast" offence): Fouts, Marino, Montana, Moon, Kelly, Manning, Brady, Brees, Aikman, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Warner. All those with staying power were pocket passers who could scramble if needed but by and large were good because of their arm and ability to read the field, not because of their legs. Even the most mobile of them - Favre and Elway, were recognized more for their passing stats than their running stats. And the best of the "running" QBs, Steve Young, only became top tier after he learned to be a pinpoint pocket passer and utilize the weapons around him (cough, Jerry Rice) rather than do it on his own. Russell Wilson seems to be evolving into this as well, and Patrick Mahomes is successful because he can throw with the best of them.

QBs who have lived mainly off the run are typically flash in the pan types, who burst on the scene with a lot of hype and promise to "change the game" with never before seen skills, only to fade away once teams learn to defend their running and force them to pass, proving they can't do it well enough to last. Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham (who may have been the best passer of this group), Michael Vick, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick, and now Lamar Jackson are the flavour of the month, but how many of them (the best of the best of the running QBs) lasted playing that style once teams caught on to how to defend them? Look what Tennessee did to Jackson this past week by simply spying him with an extra safety.

As for this year's final 4 in the NFL, where is the running QB (as opposed to the QB who can put up 350 yards passing) in that mix? Not in San Fran (where the tailback is their best receiver, hmmm, lots of check down passes in a successful offence, imagine that), definitely not in Green Bay, not even in KC (Mahomes can scramble better than most, but he is winning with his arm and his reads more than by running an option style offence). Tennessee is winning on the back of a running back playing out of his mind right now and a defence creating huge turnovers in the playoffs.

As for your second paragraph, lots of BS hyperbole to unpack here:

Dime a dozen QB's who athletically are at the top of their draft class?  Really? Top of the draft class? Streveler was a division 2 (now called 1AA) QB, let's not overlook that little nugget. Given the 100+ division 1A QB's out there, I'd be comfortable calling him a dime a dozen.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a QB with anywhere near the passing success Streveler had in NCAA (again, division 2. That's like comparing the MJHL scoring leader to the CHL scoring leader) as well as the measurables, then add on what he's done here. His completion percentage was 66.6%, which sounds good until you look at the other starters who averaged 3-5% better than him for the most part - he was 9th out of 12 QBs with 175 or more attempts. He threw 8 TDs to 14 INTs. Intercepted on 6% of his passes, last for QBs with 175 or more attempts, and 1.5% worse than the next guy, Dominique Davis. His interception % was 39th of the 43 CFL QBs who threw any passes at all last year. His QB rating was 72.0, 11th out of 12 for 175+ attempts and 30th overall - only Davis was behind him at 71.7 for high throwing QBs, the average for the 12 was 96.8, and the 10 ahead of Streveler and Davis averaged 101.8. Passing-wise, Streveler was sub-par at the CFL level. And once teams here figured out how to spy him, the Bombers started losing games. 4-8 as a starter over 2 years. So you want him to become a running back in the NFL? At 6'1 and 217 lbs? Dude is a long way off from having the skills to compete at the NFL level IMO. 

There are some pure option/RPO guys that might run as fast, but not a single one like him as a total package. See my earlier stats about his passing ability - hardly "the whole package". A football player who is willing to be a football player and has trained his whole life as a QB, huge football IQ. Football IQ based on his out-of-college scouting report? The eye test this year in how he read defences and didn't go past his first read often would suggest his IQ needs work. A team is going to roster him to run certain packages.  Hill is the blueprint.  Again, this is not really what NFL teams build their QB position around historically, and their are QBs with better college pedigrees in Division 1A than him.

Average NFL linebackers come in at 6'2" and 245 lbs. DEs are 6'4", 279 lbs. DTs at 6'3", 309 lbs. (source: https://webpages.uidaho.edu/~renaes/251/HON/Student PPTs/Avg NFL ht wt.pdf)

Average CFL LBs are 6'1", 224 lbs. DEs are 6'3", 250 lbs. DTs are 6'3", 289 lbs. DLs (not specified) are 6'3", 267 lbs. (source: www.cfl.ca)

Streveler won't bowl over defensive players of that size quite as easily.

Hey, good luck to the guy, but's let's not go overboard selling him as this phenom who is the next big thing in the NFL who all teams are clamoring for.

For me it’s like watching an awards show. Doesn’t matter what kind. Go up, accept your award, and give your short speech. Short, and to the point. Nobody likes a long-winded speech, no matter how much the speaker thinks it’s important.

Here, on the board, when I open a thread and see it’s longer than Rider fans capacity for exaggeration, I make a decision whether to bother to read it, or move on.
Usually, I move on.

There. Short and to the point. 
🤭🙄🥴

16 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

For me it’s like watching an awards show. Doesn’t matter what kind. Go up, accept your award, and give your short speech. Short, and to the point. Nobody likes a long-winded speech, no matter how much the speaker thinks it’s important.

Here, on the board, when I open a thread and see it’s longer than Rider fans capacity for exaggeration, I make a decision whether to bother to read it, or move on.
Usually, I move on.

There. Short and to the point. 
🤭🙄🥴

amen....long winded posts are almost masturbatory in their nature. Get over yourself...... unless it's Booch expounding on what actually goes on.....I've got all day for that.

Man, why are we criticizing someone who gave a legit take on Strevler?.What, it's better to read a 2 sentence response from Skunk talking about his gay man crush on Big Chris. Give me TrueBlue4ever's take than the **** we get from Skunk every ******* day. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

amen....long winded posts are almost masturbatory in their nature. Get over yourself...... unless it's Booch expounding on what actually goes on.....I've got all day for that.

Longer posts are ok if they have substance and a purpose..and aren't just a delusional rant

I had no issue with the post in question.. agreed pretty much with it for most part and it was factual and well thought out..unlike some nonsense we see on forums 

Thanks for the props by the way..sometimes I tend to rant and get long winded but usually comes from a place I've been or seen..or still have some connections with/to

And some are in response to posts that irk and piss me off which come from places people have no clue about..no experience in..and generally are thier own agenda...