Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

39 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler ran through and around Calgary's D in a playoff game with a broken foot.

He's going to the NFL.  Even before that he was going to the NFL.  They missed him and they are kicking themselves for it.  He has a place on a NFL team as a football player.  They don't need him to be a passer.

He will get some looks but what position is he gonna play down there? And I know you’ll say wherever they want to put him like taysom hill, but hill is listed as a qb, and I can’t see a team willing to take strev on as a backup qb.

30 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

He will get some looks but what position is he gonna play down there? And I know you’ll say wherever they want to put him like taysom hill, but hill is listed as a qb, and I can’t see a team willing to take strev on as a backup qb.

Hill isn't really a qb either with the Saints. He also lines up at FB & Slot. The Saints just try to find ways to get him the ball. 

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hill isn't really a qb either with the Saints. He also lines up at FB & Slot. The Saints just try to find ways to get him the ball. 

True but I do believe before Brees got injured and after he came back, only hill and Brees were the qbs on the active roster. I could be wrong in that though.

15 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Who was the last QB to start his pro career in Canada and subsequently signed as a QB in the NFL?  Jeff Garcia?

Farhan Lalji says as many at 8 NFL teams interested in Chris Streveler, sounds like he's as good as gone: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/nfl-workout-watch-qb-chris-streveler~1873125

Answering my own question .... I guess Dave Dickenson was the last QB to start in the CFL and then get a nod from the NFL. His NFL stats:

2001 SD 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
2002 SEA 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
2002 MIA 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
2002 DET 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

3 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Answering my own question .... I guess Dave Dickenson was the last QB to start in the CFL and then get a nod from the NFL. His NFL stats:

An how much $$$ did he earn ?

A stroll thru Blue Bomber Free Agency with John Hodge...
5 players re-signed..17 more to go.
There are the must signs and hopefuls.

👁‍🗨 Top 3
1) Stanley Bryant - absolute must sign. Can’t believe we’ve had such a quality player for so long. Started 90 consecutive games over 5 years.
2) Willie Jefferson - I’ll do the back flip should we be able to get him back. i won’t soon forget his powerful performance in the Grey Cup game.
3) Chris Streveler - hopefully can keep this multi-tooled weapon in a QB package.
Next:
Darvin Adams - he’s worth keeping
Zach Collaros - well, we have to keep one of he or Matt Nichols. Only the Bombers know how far Nichols has recovered from his injury.
Nichols - still part of the equation?
Michael Couture - I think we’re loaded at the O-Line but developing one and letting them walk away doesn’t seem like a good idea.
Nic Taylor - Taylor’s stock just went up after the departure of Sayles and Rose. Sign him.
Derek Jones and Thomas Miles. - Valuable Canadian back ups and Special Teamers.
Drake Nevis - Can we squeeze him into the lineup one more time?
Craig Roh - For the right price..
Jake Thomas - new career highs in tackles and sacks make us take a deeper look at the DL
Bye, bye - Hecht, Korey Jones, Fenner?, Charles Nelson.

Not a bad list but doable?

Do you agree with him?

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/13/winnipegs-free-agents-who-should-stay-and-who-should-go/

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Out for a quick stroll are you..

Just doing my daily Bomber reading and I am beginning to notice Big Chris is being viewed as being really valuable to the team moving forward.   It refreshing compared to when many want to stick with the status quo at the position.

46 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Just doing my daily Bomber reading and I am beginning to notice Big Chris is being viewed as being really valuable to the team moving forward.   It refreshing compared to when many want to stick with the status quo at the position.

Just because he's wanted back doesn't mean he's a starter which you imply. If he starts we win 8 games tops. As a backup used in certain packages he's valuable. But that's it. I don't see the Bombers eyeing him as a starter.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Streveler is almost definitely gone, he doesn't need to be a quarterback in the NFL, he can be an athlete and teams will find ways to use him. 

As much as I don't like it. I completely agree. The NFL is seeing a new trend of athletes being used anyway they can be. Streveler fits that bill. Maybe he won't stick, but he most definitely will get a shot.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Streveler is almost definitely gone, he doesn't need to be a quarterback in the NFL, he can be an athlete and teams will find ways to use him. 

And in the CFL having 2 qbs on the field simultaneously playing for one team is illegal which makes no sense to me when Streveler could have lined up as a slot or running back & be fed the ball. The Grand Poobahs in this league who make the rules need their heads examined for not allowing talent to come to the fore. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

As much as I don't like it. I completely agree. The NFL is seeing a new trend of athletes being used anyway they can be. Streveler fits that bill. Maybe he won't stick, but he most definitely will get a shot.

Streveler can't continue to take the punishment  he absorbed last year if he wants his career to last longer than 2-3 more years, NFL or CFL.  It's up to him to decide what his career will look like but it would be both reckless and dumb for him to continue smashing through brick walls thinking there will be no lasting effect.  Hopefully he sees the light.

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I don't think anyone on this board (other than yourself) are entertaining him as more than a second string WIP at this time. No one is entertaining him as a starter (yet). 

49 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Streveler can't continue to take the punishment  he absorbed last year if he wants his career to last longer than 2-3 more years, NFL or CFL.  It's up to him to decide what his career will look like but it would be both reckless and dumb for him to continue smashing through brick walls thinking there will be no lasting effect.  Hopefully he sees the light.

I completely disagree. Streveler isn't a pocket passing QB. He's a football player. He can take those hits, just the same way any receiver/running back could. And he proved it when he was running over linemen and linebackers. Could he get hurt? Sure. But that's football.

4 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Ricky Ray signed as well I believe. Don't know that he lasted long enough to see any games. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

As well,,,does Streveler want to play another position orrrr is/was his dream always to be the guy behind centre ...I know some will say ...hey it's the money man BUT what is going on in Chris's mind ..especially if it means his dream of being a no 1 quarterback will most likely elude him down south...If the nfl looks at him as nothing more than a glorified running back, maybe that's something he will have to come to grips with...Could he become a very well paid qb. in our league eventually (reilly money) or is the draw of mega money down south just too strong...His decision and one I'm sure that has crossed his mind

Edited by Stickem