Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

ye true...But Loffler's cover skills were putrid...rarely in a position to make or defend a play properly

You have to remember that Hall was calling a totally different game plan with Hurl at MLB...  Loffler was a S/LB hybrid almost - playing super shallow

Then I think he was knicked his last year here - but I agree Alexander is a huge upgrade, Hall needs a guy like that

With Muamba in Montreal, Loffler was looking really good until the injury imo

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You have to remember that Hall was calling a totally different game plan with Hurl at MLB...  Loffler was a S/LB hybrid almost - playing super shallow

Then I think he was knicked his last year here - but I agree Alexander is a huge upgrade, Hall needs a guy like that

With Muamba in Montreal, Loffler was looking really good until the injury imo

Coverages were the same.  Loffler was blitzed more by Hall because he couldn't cover, same with Hecht.  Hall runs a lot of match coverages where it's essentially cover 0 and each guy in coverage is covering certain routes and depths.  The safeties have man coverage responsibilities as a result and Loffler was terrible at this especially on the post/corners.  The drop off from Loffler to Hecht was not that steep, they both aren't every down players at safety, both have a nose for the ball and can make a few big plays, both get torched when isolated and don't offer much in Cover 2.  Most often Hall would run Cover 2 looks with the HB's/SAM dropping off, even Bighill.

If Loffler's body could hold up he'd probably slide into a WIL role pretty good as a Canadian.  He wouldn't be as good as most Americans in the spot because his tackling is a bit suspect too, but he'd be better than a warm body.

and to be honest..to further agree on that, I hardly recall Alexander blitzing, he was taking things away with coverage...Maston took over the role of blitzing and did very well in doing so...we played a limited and pretty predictable defence with Loff and Hecht...by necessity and due to their limitations

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Coverages were the same.  Loffler was blitzed more by Hall because he couldn't cover, same with Hecht.  Hall runs a lot of match coverages where it's essentially cover 0 and each guy in coverage is covering certain routes and depths.  The safeties have man coverage responsibilities as a result and Loffler was terrible at this especially on the post/corners.  The drop off from Loffler to Hecht was not that steep, they both aren't every down players at safety, both have a nose for the ball and can make a few big plays, both get torched when isolated and don't offer much in Cover 2.  Most often Hall would run Cover 2 looks with the HB's/SAM dropping off, even Bighill.

If Loffler's body could hold up he'd probably slide into a WIL role pretty good as a Canadian.  He wouldn't be as good as most Americans in the spot because his tackling is a bit suspect too, but he'd be better than a warm body.

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

and to be honest..to further agree on that, I hardly recall Alexander blitzing, he was taking things away with coverage...Maston took over the role of blitzing and did very well in doing so...we played a limited and pretty predictable defence with Loff and Hecht...by necessity and due to their limitations

This is what I mean by a different game plan...  

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

yes..Alexander there allowed us to do a whole new thing, and as we gradually implemented it over last few games, and into play-offs...teams had no real answer to it

We had a brief glimpse when Leggett was at Safety... not sure why it took so long to get back to it

I do think an NI field corner might work best for our ratio - Fenner was pretty bad there for a lot of the year - a combo of say Courtney Stephen/Exume/Hallet going into camp should cover that 

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its nice to have Alexander and Mike Jones back next year in the secondary and hopefully one of Rose and Sayles return. One thing is that this regime seems to do a solid job recruiting DBs.

Rigmadien effect.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

3 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Uh Yes. He got constantly torched but had the odd flashy interception or decent return. He didn't get retained for that exact reason

Yeah, that must be why the Bombers kept him for three seasons... I guess you couldn't be bothered to look at his stats over his 49 games played with this team.

And truthfully, you have no idea why he "didn't get retained."

I'd put my money on him getting a better offer from the Argos, though.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, that must be why the Bombers kept him for three seasons... I guess you couldn't be bothered to look at his stats over his 49 games played with this team.

He came in like a lion and out like a lamb. He CONSTANTLY got picked on. If you're just stat-watching then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Dr Zaius

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He had his moments of both. At times he couldn't be beat. Other times he couldn't stop anything. He was often a big play either way.

When he recently posted on Instagram congratulating the Bombers on winning the Grey Cup, he mentioned something about being a bit sour with the Bombers...so not sure his bomber career ended on the greatest of terms or not. He certainly implied there was some kind of issue. Now whether that was shared between both parties...who knows...but I think there was more to him leaving then just the money.

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

He had his moments of both. At times he couldn't be beat. Other times he couldn't stop anything. He was often a big play either way.

When he recently posted on Instagram congratulating the Bombers on winning the Grey Cup, he mentioned something about being a bit sour with the Bombers...so not sure his bomber career ended on the greatest of terms or not. He certainly implied there was some kind of issue. Now whether that was shared between both parties...who knows...but I think there was more to him leaving then just the money.

Foggs coverage skills were not good. He did however have an amazing knack for turn overs. Picks, FF, and FR. He was a really dangerous returner, despite being too much of a hitter he tackled very well for a db. He did a good job getting up on run plays and coming over off his man to make tackles.

His coverage though, man it was rough. He was picked on more then any other db on the team in his time here. Its also why he was frequently demoted to be the dime DB and not a starter. His decision making and technical cover skills just werent good.

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Fogg sucked - his job was saved cause he was a decent returner
Randle was a FA

A scout doesnt just scout rookies out of the league. A huge portion of scouting is looking at guys in the league that come available and recognizing under valued assets. Just like randle, rose and others.  If any thing this management group has done a fantastic job scouting other teams players and picking up under valued guys.

Guys like Nichols, collaros, hardrick, darvin adams, fenner, maston, miller, remple, demski, Janarion grant (ham TC), and craig roh, all came here and peaked while we bought low. Hardrick was cut by bc, collaros was dirt cheap, nichols was cheaper, adams was fairly low key pick up etc. 

Harris, nevis, WJ, medlock, and bighill, were all highly touted names in FA but they all lived up or exceeded expectations. 

For someone to come in here and **** on Kevin Fogg on his ******* BIRTHDAY.... **** off. 

We have consistently recruited quality DBs and LBs since Walters came on board. He's been very good at that. It's just receivers we've had trouble with.

The biggest thing Rigmaiden has done is convince some of BC's best players to come our way... 

Edited by Noeller

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For someone to come in here and **** on Kevin Fogg on his ******* BIRTHDAY.... **** off. 

We have consistently recruited quality DBs and LBs since Walters came on board. He's been very good at that. It's just receivers we've had trouble with.

The biggest thing Rigmaiden has done is convince some of BC's best players to come our way... 

No adult gives a **** about being sensitive to an anonymous professional athlete's performance because it's his birthday. 

Such a stupid hill to die on.

Edited by Dr Zaius