Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I think people are overvaluing what MBT was able to do in Toronto... he did it with no external pressure from an uncaring fan base and media as it became quickly apparent Toronto was the leagues' doormat with their 0-6 start. People are out of touch if they think paid football players don't take teams lightly on occasion.... should it happen? No. Does it happen? Absolutely.

Not to mention garbage time stats.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Why isn't Streveler ready to start yet? Cuz Lapo made him a gimmick? I dunno personally think when he was allowed to be a QB and not just a Fullback.. He looked good. Sure looked good throwing TD strikes to Harris in the Grey Cup. 

Id rather go Streveler and Mcguire cuz recycling washed up injured Vets aint the answer long or short term. 

Because his reading of a defense even just in terms of reading the end to hand off or keep is not near ready.  His arm talent is there, his heart is more then you can expect from any player, Its his ability to manage the clock, read the defense and make decisions that is the issue.  Wagering a season on him taking a step he hasnt shown yet, in a new system / under a new oc and qb coach is a big risk. 

To be fair, a washed up qb just won us the grey cup. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Like engineering a come back to beat us? Do you remember the garbage time stats with qbs like tee martin and countless others?

That game was garbage time. He had nothing and was down 23 points until we decided to quit playing that day. That wasn't MBT beating us, that was us checking out way too early in the game and then losing all the momentum.

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That game was garbage time. He had nothing and was down 23 points until we decided to quit playing that day. That wasn't MBT beating us, that was us checking out way too early in the game and then losing all the momentum.

LOL that the end of the first half is 'garbage time'...  

Game was tied at the beginning of the 4th... that is the opposite of garbage time - MBT didn't 'beat' us but he did enough...

No one is saying MBT is a great QB but I do think he's out best placeholder until Streveler is ready

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

LOL that the end of the first half is 'garbage time'...  

Game was tied at the beginning of the 4th... that is the opposite of garbage time - MBT didn't 'beat' us but he did enough...

No one is saying MBT is a great QB but I do think he's out best placeholder until Streveler is ready

I certainly want Streveler to succeed but if MBT is to be our placeholder till he's ready, I think MBT better be up for a long ride.  Streveler has a LONG way to go before he can carry this or any other team.  He has good qualities and has proved that he can be an asset, but he also  has a ton to learn.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This assessment is fair, I can't see Arbuckle signing here without us overpaying for him (and he might not like working 1-2 with Streveler). Besides, the remaining available QBs are either injury prone (Nichols, Collaros, Masoli), more unproven than MBT (Prukop, Cozart), are washed up (Jennings, Franklin), or are just plain bad (Watford, Kilgore, Bridge, O'Brien).

In a perfect world - we'd trade Collaros back to Toronto for MBT and THEIR first rounder LOL, dare to dream I guess.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

This assessment is fair, I can't see Arbuckle signing here without us overpaying for him (and he might not like working 1-2 with Streveler). Besides, the remaining available QBs are either injury prone (Nichols, Collaros, Masoli), more unproven than MBT (Prukop, Cozart), are washed up (Jennings, Franklin), or are just plain bad (Watford, Kilgore, Bridge, O'Brien).

In a perfect world - we'd trade Collaros back to Toronto for MBT and THEIR first rounder LOL, dare to dream I guess.

I think Collaros goes to Ottawa now and Arbuckle ends up in Toronto for $600k

40 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Not quite sure I understand all the love for MBT. His ceiling seems to be quality back up in my mind. 

No kidding. Collaros, Nichols, Streveler, Arbuckle, and Masoli are all better QBs than MBT. Why would we pine for the 5th best QB available? MBT as a backup if and only if Strev is in the NFL. Otherwise signing him would be nonsensical imo.

Edited by GCn20

10 players from each CFL team's negotiation list. Bombers have QB Taylor Heinicke on it. There was a time when the Vikings were quite high on him as a back up QB, until he cut his foot kicking a glass door. A bit undersized for the NFL, could be a good CFL prospect. Plus, he's not on an NFL roster at present. Allocated to the St. Louis Battlehawks of the XFL. We might see him in camp, to add more fuel to our QB debating. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/12/17/cfl-reveals-list-10-negotiation-list-players-team-4/

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

If that's a perfect world, I'll stay inside. 

If we are talking about leadership and rallying the troops....  Nichols absolutely succcccccccccccks compared to Streveler for that aspect.    Anytime  Strev goes into the game it's a noticeable jump in the steps of the players.      While I don't think the locker room hates him by any means,  he has done more then once in his time here not accept the blame and placed it on everything else aside himself.    

I'd say the players hold ZC in much higher regard because he was more humble.  

MBT is a weirdo,  but I don't think he was ever looked upon as a Duron Carter cancer in the locker room type of guy.    He's just more in outer space and my only concern would be if he would follow directions.     

My order of preference would be ZC ,  Arbuckle, Masoli ,  MBT,  Nichols and at that point if they can't get any of those guys roll with Strev and McGuire.

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If we are talking about leadership and rallying the troops....  Nichols absolutely succcccccccccccks compared to Streveler for that aspect.    Anytime  Strev goes into the game it's a noticeable jump in the steps of the players.      While I don't think the locker room hates him by any means,  he has done more then once in his time here not accept the blame and placed it on everything else aside himself.    

I'd say the players hold ZC in much higher regard because he was more humble.  

MBT is a weirdo,  but I don't think he was ever looked upon as a Duron Carter cancer in the locker room type of guy.    He's just more in outer space and my only concern would be if he would follow directions.     

My order of preference would be ZC ,  Arbuckle, Masoli ,  MBT,  Nichols and at that point if they can't get any of those guys roll with Strev and McGuire.

I think you underestimate the popularity of Nichols in the locker room as well as him being a team leader.