Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

12 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

It's possible, but with 4 or 5 QB's going on the free agent market (Collaros, Nichols, Streveler, Arbuckle, Masoli), teams will likely wait till free agency rather than sending the Bombers a pick.

There's also MBT who i think is an under rated options heading into free agency.   What remains to be seen is whether or not Masoli re-signs with hamilton. He may not even be ready for the season and so he might just sign a one year deal with Hamilton. If Arbuckle and Streveler hit the NFL and Winnipeg opts to sign Zachary there could be the potential to get something for Nichols going to Ottawa. But not much.  I guess in a dream world Toronto really wanted Nichols and we could bargain down the 1st we give up for Zach.

9 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

There's also MBT who i think is an under rated options heading into free agency.   What remains to be seen is whether or not Masoli re-signs with hamilton. He may not even be ready for the season and so he might just sign a one year deal with Hamilton. If Arbuckle and Streveler hit the NFL and Winnipeg opts to sign Zachary there could be the potential to get something for Nichols going to Ottawa. But not much.  I guess in a dream world Toronto really wanted Nichols and we could bargain down the 1st we give up for Zach.

Why would Ottawa trade for Nichols when he'll be a FA in a few months? And when is his bonus due? 

15 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I think Nichols is smart enough to veto a move to T.O., he realizes how difficult it has been to put himself in a good situation in Wpg. and I doubt he's willing to take the chance that could  happen again in T.O. anytime soon.  If the move was to Ottawa he may see more possibility of being successful under LaPo and would have a better chance of staying healthy.  I wouldn't be surprised if Zach has much the same thoughts, neither of them are of the age to take  on a complete rebuild.

If Matt ends up wanting..or having to go elsewhere it will be Ottawa

Their o-line isn't that bad, and they have some nice offensive weapons, they were just playing last year with no ryhme or reason, and no veteran OC calling the shots...and with green QB's who are average talents at best, well you seen the results

On 2019-12-14 at 2:47 PM, Geebrr said:

Kyrie is just assignment sound, and a great athlete that does not cheat his responsibility to make splash plays.

That guy is one of the best tacklers in the league in my opinion. Not very often a guy breaks away from him or he is caught out of position.

He is also not much of a "look at me" kind of guy. Just kills the play, on to the next one.

yeah pretty much, though with his athletic ability and football skills I think he can be a look at me kind of guy. I think the big difference between his season and JSK season was our LBer usage. Though jsk was more of a hitter, I prefer the sound tackling of kyrie in that respect. It will be interesting to see if our useage next year is different and if we see a drastic change in kyrie and bighills stats. 

22 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Great move. 

Also Streveler's BFF on the roster.

must be a lock now that streveler will be back lol. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

If Matt ends up wanting..or having to go elsewhere it will be Ottawa

Their o-line isn't that bad, and they have some nice offensive weapons, they were just playing last year with no rhyme or reason, and no veteran OC calling the shots...and with green QB's who are average talents at best, well you seen the results

https://www.cfl.ca/players/dominique-rhymes/163356/

I'll stop you right there

If the cost/benefit/risk ratio for Nichols just doesn't look good to Walters, I would be ok with a Bethel-Thompson and Streveler combo. I was surprised at how good MBT looked on occasion in the Keystone Kops offence the Argos ran this year. With a decent O-line and set of receivers and running backs, he ought to look a lot better.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think Nichols is smart enough to veto a move to T.O., he realizes how difficult it has been to put himself in a good situation in Wpg. and I doubt he's willing to take the chance that could  happen again in T.O. anytime soon.  If the move was to Ottawa he may see more possibility of being successful under LaPo and would have a better chance of staying healthy.  I wouldn't be surprised if Zach has much the same thoughts, neither of them are of the age to take  on a complete rebuild.

Good point. I think both QBs benefited from a very good O-line in Winnipeg. They may not find as good an O-line anywhere else in the league. Guys like Bryant, Hardrick, and Neufeld were terrific late in the season for us.

I'm not sure Lapo should be perceived as a person to keep a QB safe. His style of offensive play calling can contribute to getting a QB killed!

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

If the cost/benefit/risk ratio for Nichols just doesn't look good to Walters, I would be ok with a Bethel-Thompson and Streveler combo. I was surprised at how good MBT looked on occasion in the Keystone Kops offence the Argos ran this year. With a decent O-line and set of receivers and running backs, he ought to look a lot better.

When I watched MBT play and he would have to take off and try to make something out of nothing, I kinda laughed thinking he looked somewhat like Big Chris out there trying to run through people at times.  Then I thought later while some here mentioned his name that I felt MBTs and Strevelers play is similar,  would that not help an OC plan an offence ?

9 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

QFT. I think if you can get MBT and a guy like zach or nichols to back up on an incentive laden deal its the best case scenario. If you are gonna make good use of the read option package, streveler is well worth having as a 3rd stringer as well. Then you dont have to worry about him getting hurt nearly as much, or putting him in should the starter get hurt and losing the change of pace etc. And you lock in his great short yardage play and holding too. 

7 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

He doesn't have a bonus due as he's a pending free agent. But, his bonus last year was on Jan 15th.

Nice, It does happen where pending FAs are traded before the start of FA (especially with QBs) so a specific team can take  run at a guy solo rather then face open market. It wouldnt be much but it is a possibility. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I kinda laughed thinking he looked somewhat like Big Chris out there trying to run through people at times.  Then I thought later while some here mentioned his name that I felt MBTs and Strevelers play is similar,  would that not help an OC plan an offence ?

Annnnddddd you know nothing about football confirmed.

7 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm certain he's owed money before FA. Hasn't this been discussed? 

It's possible, I haven't seen any discussion on this myself. But, it may have something to do with the confusion on whether Matt was previously extended for 2020. Maybe some arrangements were made for a restructured contract that deferred some of his 2019 salary.

But, as a general rule, off-season bonuses are for the upcoming season.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

**** MBT and **** anyone who wants MBT on this team...... Lunatics gonna love lunatics....

In fairness the guy came in as a back up and won the job and did well despite playing on a complete dumpster fire of a team.    

More then likely he will surpass Nichols this season if he continues with the same kind of production as he had last season.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't think you could find more of a pocket passer than MBT vs more of a running QB in Streveler.

They could not be more different.

K he's a pocket passer....great.... he also didn't look scared to take off and do it himself either.  So if an offence is facing the QB duo of Chris an MBT they have to keep that in their minds that MBT is a pocket passer ...but the Bombers OC would have the offence trained up with either QB to throw in a lot of different scenarios...

hey 17to85....... that's why it was a question and not an opinion.  

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

K he's a pocket passer....great.... he also didn't look scared to take off and do it himself either.  So if an offence is facing the QB duo of Chris an MBT they have to keep that in their minds that MBT is a pocket passer ...but the Bombers OC would have the offence trained up with either QB to throw in a lot of different scenarios...

hey 17to85....... that's why it was a question and not an opinion.  

Your input is appreciated. Thanks for stopping by.