Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Mechanics are not terrible..he is an arm thrower, or what is refereed to in Draft profiles/classifications as unorthodox..but isn't viewed as a flaw or negative mark. Watch Phillip Rivers as an example..same mechanics and an 18 year vet with no arm issues over career and very successful.

Strevelers report was a strong arm with a quick trigger and ball is gone with a flick of the wrist with steam/heat. He needed work on his platform..which has gotten way better, because his un-even footwork caused uncoordinated throwing at times, but still he was able to get ball away in a hurry and with power.

Was also viewed as a QB who hits a receiver's catch radius accurately and timely and gives his receivers a chance to win the ball and has plenty of distance on deep throws but is hit and miss...but that (hit and miss)  can be said about any QB. But with work on his set-up and footwork it can/will improve...we have seen that already.

Also from my work at camps, we have improved QB's deep ball accuracy and downfield power with correcting footwork and improving their platform...so if we can do it with guys preparing for combines and drafts, it can be one with a Pro..he hasn't had the 10 years of QB training like most college graduates...so he is progressing on the fly as a pro

Was viewed as a terrific pro RPO prospect just needed quality coaching and a program to show patience for a couple of seasons, (something being done here right now) as his athleticism and lightening release will create a winner, and a team should fit his style into there system...interestingly enough a lot of his pre-draft analysis seems to be coming to fruition and I bet next year, he makes a huge step forward. 

At minnesotta he played some qb..total attempts in 2 years was 11 as well as RB, TE and WR...but in his final season was 316 for 481 for 4134 yards (a 8.6 td per attempt avg) for 32 TD's and 8 INT's...surely a passing QB considering he also had 720 yards on the ground for 11 more scores..a run first/only QB with an inferior arm doesn't put up those kind of numbers...And as his scouting report says..team that puts in the patience and coaching...will be rewarded...no point in giving up on that now

Okay I'm sold...  as long as Buck calls slants and screens

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

It still took Neufeld three years to emerge as a healthy and reliable starter - I'd put that one team culture now as opposed to the trade being a 'steal'

On 2019-12-10 at 2:35 PM, WinnipegGordo said:

I wouldn't call it a steal. The Riders got Alex Hall and a 2nd rounder for Neufeld (Bombers also received a 5th rounder).
Hall helped contribute to the Riders' 2013 Cup so I'm sure they were happy with the trade as well.

Even when Neufeld was injured, the word from the Bombers was he was still contributing off the field, helping guys out in meetings and in practice etc. etc.. Considering Hall played 3 (maybe 4?) regular season games + 2013 playoffs before bolting to the NFL, Bombers ended up on top in that trade for sure.

Though Neufeld has had injury problems, he's played 69 games of a possible 108 (18 games * 6 years) in the regular season. Not bad considering at the time of the trade it was considered quite a gamble since he had injury problems in the past before the trade. Definitely never though he'd still have gas in the tank now.

Interestingly enough the draft picks swapped in the trade are still kicking around the league .... Ainsworth (the 2nd round pick we gave up) is currently with BC, and the 5th round pick we received in exchange ended up being Christophe Normand (currently with MTL).

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Why not go with 2 quarterbacks who appear to have starter potentials (Streveler + ?) with each at $200k base salary and starter bonuses of another 250k to take one or the other to 450k range? 

Let 'em earn the big bucks.

just like the RBs did this past year......IT CAN'T FAIL!    (......you need a proven vet......)

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Mechanics are not terrible..he is an arm thrower, or what is refereed to in Draft profiles/classifications as unorthodox..but isn't viewed as a flaw or negative mark. Watch Phillip Rivers as an example..same mechanics and an 18 year vet with no arm issues over career and very successful.

Strevelers report was a strong arm with a quick trigger and ball is gone with a flick of the wrist with steam/heat. He needed work on his platform..which has gotten way better, because his un-even footwork caused uncoordinated throwing at times, but still he was able to get ball away in a hurry and with power.

Was also viewed as a QB who hits a receiver's catch radius accurately and timely and gives his receivers a chance to win the ball and has plenty of distance on deep throws but is hit and miss...but that (hit and miss)  can be said about any QB. But with work on his set-up and footwork it can/will improve...we have seen that already.

Also from my work at camps, we have improved QB's deep ball accuracy and downfield power with correcting footwork and improving their platform...so if we can do it with guys preparing for combines and drafts, it can be done with a Pro..he hasn't had the 10 years of QB training like most college graduates...so he is progressing on the fly as a pro

Was viewed as a terrific pro RPO prospect just needed quality coaching and a program to show patience for a couple of seasons, (something being done here right now) as his athleticism and lightening release will create a winner, and a team should fit his style into there system...interestingly enough a lot of his pre-draft analysis seems to be coming to fruition and I bet next year, he makes a huge step forward. 

At minnesotta he played some qb..total attempts in 2 years was 11 as well as RB, TE and WR...but when he switche to South Dakota, in his final season was 316 for 481 for 4134 yards (a 8.6 td per attempt avg) for 32 TD's and 8 INT's...surely a passing QB considering he also had 720 yards on the ground for 11 more scores..a run first/only QB with an inferior arm doesn't put up those kind of numbers...And as his scouting report says..team that puts in the patience and coaching...will be rewarded...no point in giving up on that now

IMO - When he first came in after Nichols was hurt he was overthrowing guys on deep balls.  I think he overcorrected and started underthrowing guys (which resulted in a number of turnovers)

For the most part I didn't see poor decisions on his bad throws... just some inaccuracy (which IMO is the more easily corrected attribute, especially for a guy who doesn't have 10 years of bad habits ingrained in)

Just now, Noeller said:

saw that this morning and was trying to remember who the hell Malik Boynton was.....

He was in camp with us last year... made it through both pre-season games before getting cut.  Some people in the media (I want to say Hamilton?) thought he would get scooped up by another club.  He's got one of those hard luck stories that you can't help but root for the guy.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

was kinda shocked he was let go to be honest...was he hurt so told to rehab and come back if he got healthy for 2020?...can't recall

Going by his social media, he didn't seem to be hurt.  He was getting looks from the arena league & the XFL but it doesn't look like anything panned out.

2 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

IMO - When he first came in after Nichols was hurt he was overthrowing guys on deep balls.  I think he overcorrected and started underthrowing guys (which resulted in a number of turnovers)

For the most part I didn't see poor decisions on his bad throws... just some inaccuracy (which IMO is the more easily corrected attribute, especially for a guy who doesn't have 10 years of bad habits ingrained in)

That's the thing with Strev, when he gets more reps and chemistry with the receiver's..throwing actual routes in the standard playbook, this will get corrected...just getting in sync with a receievr's tendencies..how they come out of their routes, the speed they break off things..etc..etc...his shots furthwr down the field will be more precise...like anything, if you don't practice it, and do it over and over...you don't get better

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Also from my work at camps, we have improved QB's deep ball accuracy and downfield power with correcting footwork and improving their platform...so if we can do it with guys preparing for combines and drafts, it can be done with a Pro..he hasn't had the 10 years of QB training like most college graduates...so he is progressing on the fly as a pro

At minnesotta he played some qb..total attempts in 2 years was 11 as well as RB, TE and WR...but when he switche to South Dakota, in his final season was 316 for 481 for 4134 yards (a 8.6 td per attempt avg) for 32 TD's and 8 INT's...surely a passing QB considering he also had 720 yards on the ground for 11 more scores..a run first/only QB with an inferior arm doesn't put up those kind of numbers...And as his scouting report says..team that puts in the patience and coaching...will be rewarded...no point in giving up on that now

While you make some good points, you can’t compare his stats from a FCS college team to his current situation. If we start doing that, then we should take a look at Brian Brohm again. (Settle down its a joke). But by looking at his college stats, he is the second best qb to come out if Louisville, second to Lamar Jackson. Now this doesn’t mean I think we should give up on strev right now. I do think they should re-sign him. But we have to be real, how long do we hold onto the guy? If he can’t show any improvement on throwing, or show to be a starting qb, the team is doing more damage to itself in the long run.

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

While you make some good points, you can’t compare his stats from a FCS college team to his current situation. If we start doing that, then we should take a look at Brian Brohm again. (Settle down its a joke). But by looking at his college stats, he is the second best qb to come out if Louisville, second to Lamar Jackson. Now this doesn’t mean I think we should give up on strev right now. I do think they should re-sign him. But we have to be real, how long do we hold onto the guy? If he can’t show any improvement on throwing, or show to be a starting qb, the team is doing more damage to itself in the long run.

He has already improved from when he got here..and like I said, in a prototypical offence..with real reps and not modified gimmickry he can and will get better.

And sure..u can never compare any league from one to the other..but...if u have excelled at a level..within that level of competion getting to next level is almost the same..having played in all levels..prep schools..JC..NCAA and then stints and camps in CFL and NFL I can assure u that top players can elevate to match each level..for qb routes trees are same..looks the same..coverages the same..talent is better for u and against you..but if u throw for anything over 3000 in a college year..you can pass

His measurables yeah if he was at national combine would be top of class.. tools are there..as is the brain..only thing that kept NFL types away was the inexperience and the fact they would need a yr or 2 of patience and work to progress him..but in the business of NFL that wouldn't happen..the politics.. money to do it..buried 4 deep never getting any reps..but in Canada it has been perfect and Winnipeg is allowing and able to follow the pre draft narrative for him..and we are gonna reap the benefits of it

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He has already improved from when he got here..and like I said, in a prototypical offence..with real reps and not modified gimmickry he can and will get better.

And sure..u can never compare any league from one to the other..but...if u have excelled at a level..within that level of competion getting to next level is almost the same..having played in all levels..prep schools..JC..NCAA and then stints and camps in CFL and NFL I can assure u that top players can elevate to match each level..for qb routes trees are same..looks the same..coverages the same..talent is better for u and against you..but if u throw for anything over 3000 in a college year..you can pass

His measurables yeah if he was at national combine would be top of class.. tools are there..as is the brain..only thing that kept NFL types away was the inexperience and the fact they would need a yr or 2 of patience and work to progress him..but in the business of NFL that wouldn't happen..the politics.. money to do it..buried 4 deep never getting any reps..but in Canada it has been perfect and Winnipeg is allowing and able to follow the pre draft narrative for him..and we are gonna reap the benefits of it

I’m not denying his potential, or his measurables being better than everybody else’s. And there is an argument to be made that coaching can hold a guy back or push them forward, but at some point the guy has to show that he can adapt to whatever to show he is a real superstar. His throwing has improved, but still not at the point of being an effective passing qb, but yes his run game is the best there is. And don’t get me wrong, I think he has potential to be a dual threat qb, but in a league where results are important, he hasn’t shown anything to make people believe that he is anywhere close. It still leaves me with the question of how long can we wait on a guy like this? 1,2,3 years? Like I said, I agree with you on his potential, but gotta disagree with his improvement or his ability to show he’s a passer. 

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Moving forward even with Streveler.... guys like Lawler and Bailey will *help* him by actually making plays and going for the ball rather then running lazy routes.   I actually have faith in these guys on those 50/50 throws. 

Rather like the downfield blocking, as well....

“It’s definitely a strong pull. It’s well documented how I feel about Coach O’Shea. It was just an amazing experience, and it really made me love the game. I’ve always loved football, but when you go through tough times and go through the situations that aren’t ideal, you start not to love going to work. But that six, seven weeks, or however long I was there, really reaffirmed my love for the game,” - Collaros 

“If you ask any quarterback what one of the biggest factors is, it’s offensive line. Man, they were just amazing… it’s very comforting being behind those guys. Not only because of how talented they are. It’s just their work ethic, and you see it every day,”  - Collaros 

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/11/zach-collaros-would-be-open-to-re-signing-with-winnipeg/