Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

There are many reasons to like ZC ahead of MN, but it is ridiculous to suggest that he is less of an injury risk than quite frankly anyone. ZC has a concussion history that would have retired most players already. Love his play, but let's not minimize the risk to signing him. If we sign him we better have a very solid backup plan because the chances of him lasting the season are remote.

ZC showed that he can take a hit while playing with us.... Nichols can barely get touched without looking crippled these days. 

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

At least this puts an end on the ridiculous posts about him not playing here because his wife has a job.   That was pathetic.    Just like how LaPo won't move away unless his wife gave him permission kind of crap.  

Clearly ZC is a way better option then Nichols.   Both guys are one hit away from missing serious time,  but with ZC  I'd think it's a lesser of a chance since Nichols is so bloody slow and appears to fall apart if he gets any sort of contact on him.      This will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

It's not ridiculous to understand that players are human beings with more going on in their lives than what happens on the football field.

Multiple factors will influence their decisions. That's all anyone was suggesting.

16 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's not ridiculous to understand that players are human beings with more going on in their lives than what happens on the football field.

Multiple factors will influence their decisions. That's all anyone was suggesting.

Yes but people seem to think LaPo and Zach  were THE only ones who factor this in.   Completely ignoring the fact that every player has this.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Yes but people seem to think LaPo and Zach  were THE only ones who factor this in.   Completely ignoring the fact that every player has this.

I don;'t think that's true. The conversation has just centred around those people - for obvious reasons.

I don't know if this was here or in the other forum, but people have spoken of Willie's young family and the experience they have had in Winnipeg as a reason for him to re-sign. That was before NFL interest, of course.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Just so concerned with arbuckle. What if he isn't the same guy outside of the stamps system? I still remember everyone hyping up franklin as a surefire starter too. 

Best course is one vet and one young guy as our qbs imo.

This is my biggest issue with Arbuckle.   Having said that, Calgary does have a proven track record of producing quality QB's.  Arbuckle also started more games this season than Franklin did over 3 seasons in Edmonton so I would say he's more proven as a QB.

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Just so concerned with arbuckle. What if he isn't the same guy outside of the stamps system? I still remember everyone hyping up franklin as a surefire starter too. 

Best course is one vet and one young guy as our qbs imo.

I would argue that Winnipeg actually has the infrastructure on par with Calgary for Arbuckle to succeed.... more than Ottawa or Toronto - his stats are also better over more reps than Franklin had

Im also one of the few that has not given up on Franklin - I think he surfaces in Ottawa and does well with Lapo

I agree with the one vet and one young guy in a perfect world - but ZC and Nichols are damaged goods... either option leaves you very very close to Streveler/McGuire

13 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

This is my biggest issue with Arbuckle.   Having said that, Calgary does have a proven track record of producing quality QB's.  Arbuckle also started more games this season than Franklin did over 3 seasons in Edmonton so I would say he's more proven as a QB.

I also remember when people were super excited about Dom Davis when he came out of Calgary......  

If given a choice been Zack and Matt, it’s Zack all day long.  

Either way Streveler should also be signed.  But we won’t win a cup wirh him as starter.  But he’s a warrior and appears to be the heart and soul of the team.  So it should be him and one of the other guys.  Preferably Zack. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I also remember when people were super excited about Dom Davis when he came out of Calgary......  

I wouldn't even consider him a Calgary product, he was barely there.  They signed him in Feb 2015 and then released him in training camp a few months later... zero regular season games played.

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If given a choice been Zack and Matt, it’s Zack all day long.  

Either way Streveler should also be signed.  But we won’t win a cup wirh him as starter.  But he’s a warrior and appears to be the heart and soul of the team.  So it should be him and one of the other guys.  Preferably Zack. 

When we signed ZC, I really thought he wasn't going to last one game due to his injury history.  Wrong.

He proved a lot of people wrong and came away as the winning starting QB in the 2019 Grey Cup. Perseverance, grit and hard smart work does indeed pay off.

The tandem of him and CS would be nice to have next season to evolve it's use. Imagine a whole off season, training camp and preseason to work on it. At least it may encourage more in game tandem use of MN and CS  than we have previously done with those two.  To me, the Bombers proved a two QB system can work if you have the right personnel.

Whatever way you slice it, you need a vet and a Strev, or a vet and and Arbuckle...an Arbuckle and Strev is too risky, and they don't have vet leadership to watch/learn from or ask questions...and thats huge. Arbuckle has shown well...but so did Evans and when it got time to play in the nitty gritty...he wilted...and Evans is a better QB than Arbuckle at moment.

So a smart man will say it will be Strev and.....Nichols or Collaros with whomever we don't sign in Ottawa..and If Collaros does end up in T.O then one of MBT or Franklin is in Ottawa with Lapo

This notion in people minds that Streveler can't pass is ludicrous, and of Nichols..Collaros and Arbuckle has the stronger arm...and put back in a conventional QB scheme where he uses his legs to buy time..escape pocket or take off if need be...and not as his main use...he will surprise many,

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Whatever way you slice it, you need a vet and a Strev, or a vet and and Arbuckle...an Arbuckle and Strev is too risky, and they don't have vet leadership to watch/learn from or ask questions...and thats huge. Arbuckle has shown well...but so did Evans and when it got time to play in the nitty gritty...he wilted...and Evans is a better QB than Arbuckle at moment.

So a smart man will say it will be Strev and.....Nichols or Collaros with whomever we don't sign in Ottawa..and If Collaros does end up in T.O then one of MBT or Franklin is in Ottawa with Lapo

This notion in people minds that Streveler can't pass is ludicrous, and of Nichols..Collaros and Arbuckle has the stronger arm...and put back in a conventional QB scheme where he uses his legs to buy time..escape pocket or take off if need be...and not as his main use...he will surprise many,

I'm with you on this... but his arm mechanics are actually terrible and his numbers are terrible - just saying that if you held Streveler up to the scrutiny and that you're holding other to then it doesn't look 'great'

With ANY of these guys, you get the right OC and right mentor (in the coaching staff or on the field) and they can be a starter... look at Vernon Adams - he was written off before Khari resurrected him

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

This notion in people minds that Streveler can't pass is ludicrous

I hope so. Not 100% convinced he's a CFL starter level in terms of his passing ability. I'd be willing to sign him (cheaply) and find out. But, I also won't be surprised if McGuire ends up being the better overall CFL QB. His passing mechanics look so much better. I'm not sure Streveler's strengths (running, toughness) outnumber his weaknesses (arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence, vision). Let's hope. If he puts it all together we have Tracy Ham at QB for us. 

31 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm with you on this... but his arm mechanics are actually terrible and his numbers are terrible - just saying that if you held Streveler up to the scrutiny and that you're holding other to then it doesn't look 'great'

With ANY of these guys, you get the right OC and right mentor (in the coaching staff or on the field) and they can be a starter... look at Vernon Adams - he was written off before Khari resurrected him

Mechanics are not terrible..he is an arm thrower, or what is refereed to in Draft profiles/classifications as unorthodox..but isn't viewed as a flaw or negative mark. Watch Phillip Rivers as an example..same mechanics and an 18 year vet with no arm issues over career and very successful.

Strevelers report was a strong arm with a quick trigger and ball is gone with a flick of the wrist with steam/heat. He needed work on his platform..which has gotten way better, because his un-even footwork caused uncoordinated throwing at times, but still he was able to get ball away in a hurry and with power.

Was also viewed as a QB who hits a receiver's catch radius accurately and timely and gives his receivers a chance to win the ball and has plenty of distance on deep throws but is hit and miss...but that (hit and miss)  can be said about any QB. But with work on his set-up and footwork it can/will improve...we have seen that already.

Also from my work at camps, we have improved QB's deep ball accuracy and downfield power with correcting footwork and improving their platform...so if we can do it with guys preparing for combines and drafts, it can be done with a Pro..he hasn't had the 10 years of QB training like most college graduates...so he is progressing on the fly as a pro

Was viewed as a terrific pro RPO prospect just needed quality coaching and a program to show patience for a couple of seasons, (something being done here right now) as his athleticism and lightening release will create a winner, and a team should fit his style into there system...interestingly enough a lot of his pre-draft analysis seems to be coming to fruition and I bet next year, he makes a huge step forward. 

At minnesotta he played some qb..total attempts in 2 years was 11 as well as RB, TE and WR...but when he switche to South Dakota, in his final season was 316 for 481 for 4134 yards (a 8.6 td per attempt avg) for 32 TD's and 8 INT's...surely a passing QB considering he also had 720 yards on the ground for 11 more scores..a run first/only QB with an inferior arm doesn't put up those kind of numbers...And as his scouting report says..team that puts in the patience and coaching...will be rewarded...no point in giving up on that now

Edited by Booch