Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

45 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Definitely would like to see Nichols or Collaros here + Streveler 

This. You absolutely have to have ONE of the 2 vets. I prefer Nichols, personally, but with the condition that he's at least as healthy as he was prior to injury. I'm still not convinced that Collaros can last 18 games, and while Nichols has his issues too, I think Collaros is the bigger injury risk. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

As much as its a feel good story, call me crazy but i think you gotta move on from Collaros and Nichols. 

I am very much okay with this as long as they bring in someone else to battle Streveler. I'd love to sign Arbuckle but that will likely be a longshot.

Collaros and Nichols both have significant injury question marks (albeit different ones) and are already on the older side (Collaros will be 32, Nichols 33 next year).

On 2019-12-09 at 2:20 PM, JCon said:

I am. 

On 2019-12-09 at 2:19 PM, Geebrr said:

If we start 0-5 I'm not sitting at games remembering how fun last year was. 

End of the day, it's entertainment. As my wife always said during that horrendous 2013 season:

"At least it's an outing."
Which, as I age, I am realizing is very wise advice. Whether you fret over the the ebbs and flows of the regular season get to your or let it slide, it really doesn't matter. Everyone here wants to see them win including myself, I'll always attend games and will always cheer for them, will I lose sleep over it? Probably not. To each his own.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

This. You absolutely have to have ONE of the 2 vets. I prefer Nichols, personally, but with the condition that he's at least as healthy as he was prior to injury. I'm still not convinced that Collaros can last 18 games, and while Nichols has his issues too, I think Collaros is the bigger injury risk. 

I’d peg that as similar injury risks but Collaros when healthy is the vastly superior Quarterback and he’s won the grey cup for us and that adds a lot.  Only way I wouldn’t bring either of these guys back would be if I was confident that Streveler can and will take his passing game to the next level. If not I would go for bethel Thompson or arbuckle to try and last the season with Streveler also playing a lot. 

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

End of the day, it's entertainment. As my wife always said during that horrendous 2013 season:

"At least it's an outing."
Which, as I age, I am realizing is very wise advice. Whether you fret over the the ebbs and flows of the regular season get to your or let it slide, it really doesn't matter. Everyone here wants to see them win including myself, I'll always attend games and will always cheer for them, will I lose sleep over it? Probably not. To each his own.

There is validity to this, to a degree.

I have enough to keep me busy that I don't need to re-arrange my day to watch a Tim Burke led team get annihilated 50-0 for 4 hours.

Tim Burke almost made me leave this team forever.

At least this puts an end on the ridiculous posts about him not playing here because his wife has a job.   That was pathetic.    Just like how LaPo won't move away unless his wife gave him permission kind of crap.  

Clearly ZC is a way better option then Nichols.   Both guys are one hit away from missing serious time,  but with ZC  I'd think it's a lesser of a chance since Nichols is so bloody slow and appears to fall apart if he gets any sort of contact on him.      This will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

Hard to say but almost sounds like a guy weighing whats best for him to win, and be safe, and be in a good environment, as well as having wifes input in perhaps thinking more of self preservation now, as opposed to convenience, as they said been in some bad situations previous and look to avoid

Amazing what a solid organization from top to bottom will do, as well as chance of winning, and obviously as from his mouth itself the fact we have a dominant and strong o-line which he loved playing behind and sees that as a reason to stay safe and possibly injury free...and really if he is used in same way as he was with Strev he's less likely to take that one shot that could KO him...his rep load alone at being 50-60 percent of norm could do wonders for him in terms of cumulative hits over course of season, and I think Strev would learn a lot more, and develop a lot better watching and playing behind/with Collaros...will be interesting to see how this shakes out

8 hours ago, Geebrr said:

There is validity to this, to a degree.
I have enough to keep me busy that I don't need to re-arrange my day to watch a Tim Burke led team get annihilated 50-0 for 4 hours.
Tim Burke almost made me leave this team forever.

Yep. As awful as that team was, I'll always remember him throwing Demond Washington under the bus for missing what would've been a game-winning interception. If he hadn't lost the room before then, anything he said thereafter definitely fell on deaf ears.

11 minutes ago, do or die said:

ZC will have to think hard.   Here he has stable organization, good team, a players HC, in MOS and I think he also enjoyed his time behind the Bomber OL.

Could lengthen his career behind our hogs and possibly get us back in the Cup again....He showed what he can do in the last part of the season...Very successful in my opinion...Walters is going to have to make a tough call...I like Matt as a person....not so much as a qb.....I know a lot of the faithful are murmuring...'bring back ZACK'...glad I'm not the gm having to make that decision

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

At least this puts an end on the ridiculous posts about him not playing here because his wife has a job.   That was pathetic.    Just like how LaPo won't move away unless his wife gave him permission kind of crap.  

Clearly ZC is a way better option then Nichols.   Both guys are one hit away from missing serious time,  but with ZC  I'd think it's a lesser of a chance since Nichols is so bloody slow and appears to fall apart if he gets any sort of contact on him.      This will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

There are many reasons to like ZC ahead of MN, but it is ridiculous to suggest that he is less of an injury risk than quite frankly anyone. ZC has a concussion history that would have retired most players already. Love his play, but let's not minimize the risk to signing him. If we sign him we better have a very solid backup plan because the chances of him lasting the season are remote.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

There are many reasons to like ZC ahead of MN, but it is ridiculous to suggest that he is less of an injury risk than quite frankly anyone. ZC has a concussion history that would have retired most players already. Love his play, but let's not minimize the risk to signing him. If we sign him we better have a very solid backup plan because the chances of him lasting the season are remote.

Flip the script - have Streveler as the starter in a Wishbone offense with Harris and Augustine in the backfield, then sub in Collaros as needed for passing plays LOL.

20 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I wouldn't call it a steal. The Riders got Alex Hall and a 2nd rounder for Neufeld (Bombers also received a 5th rounder).

Hall helped contribute to the Riders' 2013 Cup so I'm sure they were happy with the trade as well.

We ended up 3-15 in 2013... Alex Hall's contract was done at the end of 2013 and it was WIDELY expected that he would get an NFL try (which he did and spent the 2014 season in the NFL).  We gave up nothing sending Alex Hall to SSK.  2nd rounder for a 5th rounder swap for a solid starting NATL Guard... That is one hell of a deal.

40 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

We ended up 3-15 in 2013... Alex Hall's contract was done at the end of 2013 and it was WIDELY expected that he would get an NFL try (which he did and spent the 2014 season in the NFL).  We gave up nothing sending Alex Hall to SSK.  2nd rounder for a 5th rounder swap for a solid starting NATL Guard... That is one hell of a deal.

I wasn't a fan of the deal at the time because Ainsworth really did have the potential to be a long-term starter until his injury...

It still took Neufeld three years to emerge as a healthy and reliable starter - I'd put that one team culture now as opposed to the trade being a 'steal'