Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

58 minutes ago, Floyd said:

It’s the annual BPA vs position argument...!!!  Except BPA doesn’t actually Really exist because every position has different pros/cons and true BPAs are NFL bound

all I know is I don’t want a receiver in the first round - ever ha

We can pick a receiver. Just not one from Saskatchewan. 

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

Jefferson is behind the 8-ball though...age and no PR time left..so he has to be on the  roster on game day, or it's nothing...plus being booted for off-field issues last time won't help his case

And he is not fresh out of college as well.

Edited by Tracker

Just now, GCn20 said:

If Jefferson doesn't get some significant guaranteed money he will not sign in the NFL.

That too...people have to remember that these guys if/when they try out are not getting paid..so if they down there a long time in camp..then get cut..they are out the possible money in those 2 months thast they would have been making in the CFL...And guys with a family..Like Willie are not to keen on doing that unless a team forks out a nice signing bonus upfront..and now with caps on Free-Agent and Draftee bonuses allowed...it's highly unlikely

It would not surprise me to see Willie get guaranteed money.

He is an athletic freak with NFL skills. 

Dolphins also had a good experience taking a chance on Cameron Wake (in fairness, maybe the most dominant DE I can ever remember in the CFL).

I doubt teams care about some off field **** when he was 23 at this point. He has not had any issues up here.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It would not surprise me to see Willie get guaranteed money.

He is an athletic freak with NFL skills. 

Dolphins also had a good experience taking a chance on Cameron Wake (in fairness, maybe the most dominant DE I can ever remember in the CFL).

I doubt teams care about some off field **** when he was 23 at this point. He has not had any issues up here.

Wake was also just turning 26..Willie will be 29...those 3 years in NFL eyes are big...also he has no PR eligibility left, and would not be making NFL minimum..so SMS..age..Politics of NFL are all against him, but as an athlete he no doubt belongs down there

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

That too...people have to remember that these guys if/when they try out are not getting paid..so if they down there a long time in camp..then get cut..they are out the possible money in those 2 months thast they would have been making in the CFL...And guys with a family..Like Willie are not to keen on doing that unless a team forks out a nice signing bonus upfront..and now with caps on Free-Agent and Draftee bonuses allowed...it's highly unlikely

Max signing bonus limit is really low for players with less than 4 years experience. However, the teams can guarantee as much of the base salary as they want. To date, the highest contract a CFL player has gotten in guaranteed money from the NFL is a 10k signing bonus and 85k of their contract guaranteed.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Wake was also just turning 26..Willie will be 29...those 3 years in NFL eyes are big...also he has no PR eligibility left, and would not be making NFL minimum..so SMS..age..Politics of NFL are all against him, but as an athlete he no doubt belongs down there

The lack of PR eligibility is a big factor, but he should be able to crack the roster. He plays ST on a much bigger field up here at minimum.

The 3down story says WJ has no interest in workouts unless a team is ready to give him a contract. He is not leaving to be a camp body.

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Good luck to Willie BUT age alone is going to be a big factor....The nfl have their choice of young and upcoming players...Would Willie fit future plans in the long term in Fla.....doubt it and his pr eligibility makes his signing a little doubtful....Soooooo.'c'mon down to Wpg.' Willie....or I guess it should be c'mon up to Wpg. from that area

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well at least we still have Jeffcoat but man, not liking this NFL interest so far.

One of the drawbacks of being a successful team with a lot of talented pieces. 

This offseason will be a real test for Walters (and team) to see how the fill they holes.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am not worried, we find good DEs all the time, and Craig Roh is a good player we could bring back.

WJ's age is not really a factor IMO. Freak athlete, never any major injury, DEs can play for a long ass time.

Age is a factor when you try and go up against very talented players who sport a 23 or 24 on their birth certificate

9 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

One of the drawbacks of being a successful team with a lot of talented pieces. 

This offseason will be a real test for Walters (and team) to see how the fill they holes.

This why it's so hard to win back to back championships in the CFL these days.  One year contracts and the NFL vultures.   

Well Roh will be an easy re-sign..and is damn good...also If Mcallister isn't on an XFL team I could see him back lickity split next year if we loose Jefferson..Jeffcoat..Roh..McCallister with Hansen spelling ain't the end of the world...plus Willie money could be used for somethng else in Free gency