Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

38 minutes ago, Geebrr said:
Mike O’Shea to address the media in Winnipeg at 11am today. I don’t necessarily expect a new contract to be announced at this precise time, as the #Bombers head coach’s deal is currently set to expire, but, we’ve experienced stranger things… More on &

Technically a pending free agent. 

I don't think O'Shea is going to hold a press-conference just to flap his gums (which he hates), and he's said everything about winning the Cup that he's ever going to say.....must be something big.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't think O'Shea is going to hold a press-conference just to flap his gums (which he hates), and he's said everything about winning the Cup that he's ever going to say.....must be something big.

It's just his final, regular, media availability session.

The one thing that was notable was that when he was asked "What's the percentage chance he signs a new contract?" he responded "It's pretty high".

As sad as it is to say this is very much a business.....and a 'what have you done for me lately' production wise....Mike O has a lot going on for him in that respect right about now.....Zack Collaros has a lot going for him also...The jury is out on Matt Nichols and I'm sure he understands the business end of things very well...In the final analysis you do what's best for the club and that judgment is going to be made by Walters and company....It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out

Just now, Stickem said:

As sad as it is to say this is very much a business.....and a 'what have you done for me lately' production wise....Mike O has a lot going on for him in that respect right about now.....Zack Collaros has a lot going for him also...The jury is out on Matt Nichols and I'm sure he understands the business end of things very well...In the final analysis you do what's best for the club and that judgment is going to be made by Walters and company....It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out

With the new management cap, the days of a HC filling his pockets left with Chris Jones, O'Shea will expect a bump but he knows he has to pay to keep his coaching crew together, so I would think his contract demands should be fairly reasonable.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Only other spot is Ottawa and for some reason I think they want to go new and young...Tho a Lapo and Collaros situation there may be a possibility

I was listening to TSN radio in Ottawa a week ago and there are "media rumours" that the RedBlacks are very keen on Lapo for HC. I have no way of knowing if this is just speculation or someone with inside info. Given the disaster in Ottawa this season at QB you can bet they will be throwing a ton of money at Collaros if he's interested.

It was also suggested on the same show that Masoli might not be ready to go until August, which may affect his next contract with whomever that might be, but he probably remains in Hamilton.

6 minutes ago, Starman115 said:

I was listening to TSN radio in Ottawa a week ago and there are "media rumours" that the RedBlacks are very keen on Lapo for HC. I have no way of knowing if this is just speculation or someone with inside info. Given the disaster in Ottawa this season at QB you can bet they will be throwing a ton of money at Collaros if he's interested.

It was also suggested on the same show that Masoli might not be ready to go until August, which may affect his next contract with whomever that might be, but he probably remains in Hamilton.

I wonder if Lapo would want to walk into mess?  The same enviroment got him canned here.  No QB, weak oline and weak offence.  Its a recipe for disaster.    Ottawa and TO are gonna be hard pressed to attract a HC with with out a QB.  At least BC has Riley who is over priced, but you know he can play within a good offence. 

17 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Can’t say never put on the first game of the season. After first game everyone praising him how he was able to escape pressure and rollout for touchdown passes.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/16/recap-winnipeg-33-bc-23/

I completely agree... except this is peak Nichols... the real question is how often will he play like this?... unfortunately the answer is not too often...

On 2019-11-25 at 11:07 PM, M.O.A.B. said:

Not sure where to post this... Bombers free-agent list per (3DownNation) 

Offense:
QB Collaros. I think a 1st round draft choice is too much...he's gone
QB Streveler gotta bring him back. warrior and tough as nails. 
QB Nichols everything depends on his shoulder rehab, and what he wants to be paid
OL Bryant bring him back
OL Hardrick I love yoshi and everything he brings, hope they bring him back. I'm nervous about his return
OL Neufeld* retirement
OL Couture* bring him back
RB Augustine* probably gone
WR Adams not sure, leaning towards him gone. Too many drops during the regular season and some indifferent play
WR Wolitarsky* bring him back

Defense
DE Jefferson gonna want huge $$ hope we have room to keep him
DE Roh  with Jeffcoat coming back, sadly I think he's gone. I've met him and his wife, and wish them nothing but the best
DT Nevis absolutely gotta bring him back
DT Thomas* retirement
LB Thomas  dunno
LB Jones maybe
DB Rose just the interception leader! going to be due a healthy raise, lets hope we can afford him
DB Sayles bring him back
DB Maston showed a ton at the end of the year, bring him back
DB Taylor dunno
DB Fenner gone
DB Hecht* retirement or not resigned
DB D.Jones* maybe
DB Gaitor (I think he should be in the list) maybe

I think the biggest dilemma is at the QB position....and the hardest choices. I won't be surprised if Nichols is gone, nor will it be a shock if we keep him. I think we gotta keep Streveler for sure. For Nichols everything will depend on his shoulder healing. Obviously this injury is career threatening IMO.

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Nichols is getting paid that bonus, likely sooner than January too. A bonus for a FA at that time of year had to be a way to defer 2019 money forward to keep them under the cap this year. With the savings from having him on the IR so long they likely have the cap space to pay it out now for "services" already received. I would be surprised if the amount of that bonus was $200k as he would be deferring half his annual income. 

I expect that we will see Nichols, Strev and Jefferson re-upped before Christmas with bonuses against the 2019 cap. Others likely don't get signed until 2020 with bonuses applied to that year, of course as a fan I could also be completely talking out my ass...

Totally agree. Nichols went on the 6 game, and whatever salary had to be paid from that point forward didn't apply to the cap. So yes there should be some cash in the bank to cover a couple of extra 2019 signing bonuses. I hadn't thought of this!

A Bomber since 2018, Streveler’s future remains a question mark, as he’s entering free agency, but he said there’s no colours he’d rather wear than blue and gold.

“I wanna come back. I’ve told everyone I really wanna be back. I think everyone knows at this point how much I love Winnipeg and how much I love the Bombers,” he said.

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I wonder if Lapo would want to walk into mess?  The same enviroment got him canned here.  No QB, weak oline and weak offence.  Its a recipe for disaster.    Ottawa and TO are gonna be hard pressed to attract a HC with with out a QB.  At least BC has Riley who is over priced, but you know he can play within a good offence. 

Considering TO still has a HC, they're really gonna be hard pressed to hire another.