Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Honestly I think there is a significant chance that the 2020 starter will be someone completely new via free agency.

I personally would prefer to move on from Nichols, and I don't think they'll re-sign Collaros given the first round draft pick price tag. I'd like to bring back Streveler and see if we can develop him more as a passer. 

There is usually a big difference between the first player picked & the 9th. This isn't the NCAA. It's U Sports & maybe there are a half dozen really good CFL ready players in the first round, usually.  The Draft's just a crap shoot. So, losing that first rounder may not be that big a deal.

With Nichols you basically have to play the perfect game otherwise no chance of him at this point in his career caring the team on his back or at least making something out of nothing.  

Any sort of pressure will pretty much destroy our chances of winning unless our defense can completely snuff out the other team and we can win via 7 Medlock field goals. 

The guy was playing scared after getting hurt the first time with us.... how scared will he be now that he's been hurt yet again. 

The guy is a shell of his former self.  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

With Nichols you basically have to play the perfect game otherwise no chance of him at this point in his career caring the team on his back or at least making something out of nothing.  

Any sort of pressure will pretty much destroy our chances of winning unless our defense can completely snuff out the other team and we can win via 7 Medlock field goals

The guy was playing scared after getting hurt the first time with us.... how scared will he be now that he's been hurt yet again. 

The guy is a shell of his former self.  

You do realize Medlock kicked 7 FGs in the Grey Cup Championship, right? The highest number of FGs in a single game in the entire 2019 campaign.

It's comical how you talk about others here making "Riderfan-esque" comments, and then make a post like this. Wow.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There is usually a big difference between the first player picked & the 9th. This isn't the NCAA. It's U Sports & maybe there are a half dozen really good CFL ready players in the first round, usually.  The Draft's just a crap shoot. So, losing that first rounder may not be that big a deal.

This is not true. In the early rankings this year 8 out of the top 10 players come from NCAA programs, with the other two coming from Laval. One of the Laval players is also getting invites to showcase games down in the states. While this year there isn’t a lot of depth to the draft, the first two rounds are full of talent.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It would still be somewhat surprising given that Walters and Osh both have focused on finding and developing Canadian talent.

12 minutes ago, Ridermania said:

Honestly can't see Walters giving up a 1st for Collaros.  

Is Streveler a $175K QB or higher?

How much are CFL teams going to tie up in 2 QB's next season...maybe $600K for the pair?

BC and Calgary have way too much tied up in QB SMS and can only afford a lower salary back-up.

Generally in the CFL a back-up with tenure...3-5 years is going to pull in 125 to 175k..depending on experience/skill...With Strev now in his 3rd year...being what he is "now" and what he "could" be, and I think will be is in that range at the least. Any other back-up you wanna bring in who is not a raw rookie is gonna be in 6 figures somewhere.

You are going to have to budget for 600 to 750 k for a solid 1-2 punch and am not sure how a BC or CGY and to a lesser extent EDM can do that...they are going to have to restructure those deals, or go with a warm body at back-up basically...or bastardize your team elsewhere and we seen how that turned out, especially with B.C

CGY got a bit lucky with Abuckle keeping the wolves at bay, but he was also thee last year, on a minimal deal so that helped, but as season wore on...he was less impressive

Our best bet is to sign Strev to 2+ years...develop him behind Matt who we bring back on a 1 with option and further develop McGuire...See how the Nichols/Strev combo package works as season goes, and/or if Strev develops further possibly taking the reignsand you have a solid Nichols as your back-up

No sense bringing in a 32 yr old off knee usury Masoli or a just as unproven more or less Arbuckle..we shown we can/will win with current duo...will it make everyone happy...nope...but really only realistic option and could be way worse

The reports are that Nichols has a  bonus due in January. We need to make the decision as to if we keep him or not before that date. If we aren't going to keep him, we need to cut him before that date so we don't give SMS money away to a player we aren't going to keep.

Call me crazy, but I think Streveler could be the league's most dangerous quarterback in 2-3 years and the bonus is that he doesn't have to throw for 5000 yards to be that guy.  The OC (whoever that is) is going to have a profound impact on how his game rounds out.  Still think we need Nichols around and I harbour no ill feelings if Collaros wants to go back to Ontario.  A teacher's salary adds up over 20-25 years and it would be naive to think that her life and goals aren't a serious consideration for a young couple.  That is, if Ford hasn't already chopped her position.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The reports are that Nichols has a  bonus due in January. We need to make the decision as to if we keep him or not before that date. If we aren't going to keep him, we need to cut him before that date so we don't give SMS money away to a player we aren't going to keep.

Or if we are restructure it. I would go heavier "in-season" bonus as opposed to prior to season bonus...and if he doesn't like that, well then take it or leave it..The team needs to protect itself just as much as the player needs to..If he is confident in himself and knows he can be the man, then he should be agreable to it.

No way we are or should do a 200K winter bonus that goes directly against the cap for a number of reasons..Say he isn't 100% ready...Gets re-injured...Strev shows he has taken next step...thats a lot of coin lost before the first snap that could be allocated elsewhere to start a season

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We can always cut him then re-sign him. Can't imagine a long list of suitors for his services 

Nichols is getting paid that bonus, likely sooner than January too. A bonus for a FA at that time of year had to be a way to defer 2019 money forward to keep them under the cap this year. With the savings from having him on the IR so long they likely have the cap space to pay it out now for "services" already received. I would be surprised if the amount of that bonus was $200k as he would be deferring half his annual income. 

I expect that we will see Nichols, Strev and Jefferson re-upped before Christmas with bonuses against the 2019 cap. Others likely don't get signed until 2020 with bonuses applied to that year, of course as a fan I could also be completely talking out my ass...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Or if we are restructure it. I would go heavier "in-season" bonus as opposed to prior to season bonus...and if he doesn't like that, well then take it or leave it..The team needs to protect itself just as much as the player needs to..If he is confident in himself and knows he can be the man, then he should be agreable to it.

No way we are or should do a 200K winter bonus that goes directly against the cap for a number of reasons..Say he isn't 100% ready...Gets re-injured...Strev shows he has taken next step...thats a lot of coin lost before the first snap that could be allocated elsewhere to start a season

I think it all comes down to who the OC is.  I don't believe that Lapo can scheme a passing game to fit Streveler.  If Lapo is back, Nichols will be the starter.  I feel it is an extreme long-shot that Collaros is interested in staying here if Toronto is an option, even Ottawa might be an option too.

I would like to see the Bombers hire an OC who really understands how to scheme RPO and 3 man routes to cut down the field for Streveler and use him as the weapon he is, so really a mix of Run-and-Shoot and the option stuff.  Streveler draws so much attention that if we could scheme RPO with run options and quick passing/screens we'd have a very dynamic offense incorporating the skills of all the playmakers we have Harris, Demski, Grant/Whitehead/Nelson and some really big targets in Lawler and hopefully Wolitarsky.

We were pretty nicely under the cap. I would think several guys will get re-upped with signing bonus money upfront against this years cap. We had cash set aside for a big time receiever we didn't actually use, plus the Mathews money came off the books too...mind you he wasn't making much suprisingly, but prob still pocketed 50-60k of his money that is just sitting there...

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think it all comes down to who the OC is.  I don't believe that Lapo can scheme a passing game to fit Streveler.  If Lapo is back, Nichols will be the starter.  I feel it is an extreme long-shot that Collaros is interested in staying here if Toronto is an option, even Ottawa might be an option too.

I would like to see the Bombers hire an OC who really understands how to scheme RPO and 3 man routes to cut down the field for Streveler and use him as the weapon he is, so really a mix of Run-and-Shoot and the option stuff.  Streveler draws so much attention that if we could scheme RPO with run options and quick passing/screens we'd have a very dynamic offense incorporating the skills of all the playmakers we have Harris, Demski, Grant/Whitehead/Nelson and some really big targets in Lawler and hopefully Wolitarsky.

I hope Nelson gets another opportunity with us. IMO he could be a great weapon.

17 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Ha, good luck. I'm guessing you don't know many teachers?

Yeh teacher jobs in MB and ONT are HARD to come by in the cities.  Ontario it's a pain to even get on the substitutes list, nevermind actually getting term contracts or a permanent contract.

The other issue is that, at least in Manitoba, the school divisions can be a little vindictive about teachers who leave the division once they have their permanents... basically once you've left your chance of getting hired as a permanent again is practically zero... don't know if that also the case in Ontario.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Collaros I doubt will be here...99 percent certain and truthfully I don't think management will even try pursuing him to be honest. Lapo I think can mix things up if he stays...but will he?...cause I am not so certain he is a slam dunk in any of those places..Mass is more than likely going to be the OC in BC as he and Reilly had a lot of success together and thee is the Hervey connection...Not sure Lapo would be keen on that, bu then again it is also how bad does he wanna HC again and may turtle under to it, but I thought it was stated that he pulled himself outta T.O consideration because he wants to pick his own staff..Only other spot is Ottawa and for some reason I think they want to go new and young...Tho a Lapo and Collaros situation there may be a possibility

Mike O’Shea to address the media in Winnipeg at 11am today. I don’t necessarily expect a new contract to be announced at this precise time, as the #Bombers head coach’s deal is currently set to expire, but, we’ve experienced stranger things… More on &

Technically a pending free agent.