Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's what I find problematic about the comparison - ZC had far less time in the QB room before he was starting games. 

if you break it down tho...we were not using the full playbook and minimal misdirection for the most part..Something Nichols excels in orchestrating. It was very obvious our offence changed a bit to suit Zack and allow him to be more comfortable..we tried a bit of it in the first game he played and he looked very uncomfortable and tentative running it.

We took more shots down the rail and deeper corner routes cause thats what Zack is good at and is easiest to implement

Also took him less time to get on field because he is a vet..been in lots of ofences, and knows all the base sets defenses run, and where to attack based on pre-snap reads and motions to get a team to expose what they are doing

Edited by Booch

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

His wife's teaching career is the more steady job. I am sure they take it pretty seriously.

Teaching job ...vs, lucrative football contract...c'mon....Alot on here are supposing Nichol's is going to be the same after his shoulder separation....What if it ain't and w let Collaros walk without making an attempt to sign him

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, Booch said:

well if he gets a good deal he could make well over a million bones over the next 3 years...no teacher will make that...maybe after 10-12 of teaching when they are at their max salary they might

Like I said...teaching job ...vs. a lucrative contract....no contest...AND teaching jobs aren't that secure anymore...especially what you hear going on in Ont.

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

well if he gets a good deal he could make well over a million bones over the next 3 years...no teacher will make that...maybe after 10-12 of teaching when they are at their max salary they might

I'm not saying it is something to scoff at, but he can also get cut at the drop of a hat, or be forced out medically, and see a fraction of that salary. 

Also looking at things like pension, benefits, and potentially paying US and Canadian taxes on that. 

42 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

I'm a fan of both Collaros and Nichols, but I realize it isn't realistic to have both.

Agreed. Controlling for things that will make this decision, the question I have which is better a ZC and CS duo or a MN and CS duo

One of the things I was quite impressed with ZC in his brief championship time with us was his ability to escape the pocket and keep his awareness looking downfield. Can`t really teach that. Nice QB skillset to have on a team. 

One thing I wouldn’t mind seeing is finding a quality Canadian at safety again. This way we could move BA back to hb and keep Richardson and Nevis up front. I like Thomas, but he just doesn’t quite have the ability to do the things stove or Nevis does. Still a really good player.

47 minutes ago, Stickem said:

IF Collaros's wife is pregnant , as being reported by another poster, then I'm sure we could accommodate her here, as she'll likely be taking a year off in any event...I believe her union contract allows for that if they're pregnant ....Zack and her could find a place here while he works out a deal with us and go from there...I guess it depends on how invested Zack's wife is invested in his career...also when there's a will there's a way....I think we sit down with Collaros and hammer something out and see how it fits...It's up to him where he wants to play, and I sure got the feeling he really fit in here right off the bat, and that he might like it here long term

I don't think that Nichols is going to be re-signed....Going by his injury history I just don't see it....Zack has one as well but I believe he's the better option

Except if she's from there (which she is) and would have all the family supports while Zach is working, which he will be. 

34 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Like I said...teaching job ...vs. a lucrative contract....no contest...AND teaching jobs aren't that secure anymore...especially what you hear going on in Ont.

Which is exactly why she will be reluctant to move.  Seniority isn't even protected when you switch divisions, never mind switching provinces.

If they move, she starts at 0 on the seniority list.  That is huge these days, with all the government cuts, if you're at the bottom you could be one of the people getting axed, you will have no more protection than a first year University graduate, the only caveat being if you teach a specialty. 

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. 

51 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah would taker here 4 or 5 years at least to make what he can in one year right now...and she can teach here if she had to...you aren't tied to a province

Sure, Winnipeg One will hire her to sub in the inner city - all depends how you define 'had to'

Add me to the list of people who think ZC and MN are basically interchangeable. Outside of his ability to scramble a bit better then Nichols they're basically the same. I don't by the Collaros has a stronger arm, Nichols was 2nd in the league for deep passes when he was playing. Our game plans and half time adjustments were more to blame with the lack of O then the person behind centre for the most part.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind if they signed ZC and Streveler. I also wouldn't mind if they went with Matt and Streveler. I would be very disappointed if they weren't able to re-sign Streveler though.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Add me to the list of people who think ZC and MN are basically interchangeable. Outside of his ability to scramble a bit better then Nichols they're basically the same. I don't by the Collaros has a stronger arm, Nichols was 2nd in the league for deep passes when he was playing. Our game plans and half time adjustments were more to blame with the lack of O then the person behind centre for the most part.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind if they signed ZC and Streveler. I also wouldn't mind if they went with Matt and Streveler. I would be very disappointed if they weren't able to re-sign Streveler though.

It's not even scrambling ability, it's pocket awareness, mobility, ability to know what's happening down field when things break down.

Those things you can't teach and are essential. ZC checks all the boxes whereas MN does not.

Edited by Nickthesizz