Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

18 minutes ago, Nickthesizz said:

No the fact we already started turning things around helped, and Hardrick and Bryant even in 2016 were considered big FA signings btw.

Look I'm not saying going home had no impact on his decision but saying he just wants to go play closer to home is unbelievably naive.

Your opinion is just that, yours.  Other people may... wait for it... have different priorities than you do.  And here's the best part:  They can do them and you can do you.  So if Callaros wants to go home because it's home that's cool.  And if you decide not to go to the Argo's because you'd rather sign with the Bombers because of their O line, then just stay close to the phone this winter so you'll be ready when Walters calls!

We will be coming back to 2020 with Nichols and Streveler to start the season..and I am fine with that, but pretty sure it will be determined in TC who the starter will be to start the season...Don't want Arbuckle here...too unproven and we just saw what that lack of experience did to Evans, who I think is a better QB than Arbuckle

Masoli is already 32 to start 2020...coming off an injury and will be new to our system and players and I would bank on Nichols injury allowing him to be ready for camp at 100 percent before Masoli. 

I think the bigger key for our QB situation is who will be calling the shots and designing the in game schemes at OC.

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is a classic example of where you really need all the facts before you start spouting off your own takes on what is “best for” a player you don’t even know.

Collaros’ wife has a unionized job in Ontario that she wouldn’t be able to acquire easily if she were to move to Manitoba and she also happens to be pregnant.

If those two things aren’t enough reason for him to want to move back to Ontario, his family is close to the area as well. He’ll be going back to Ontario.

Classic example of someone with insider knowledge coming on a fan forum acting like we're all idiots for using common sense. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Why would Nichols be due a bonus....? 

I thought I heard how his deal was broken up that he is due a bonus in Jan though technically his contract is done, but not official until February in the Free Agency sense..now did he structure it that way to help the team out for 2019 for signing other player, which I think is the actual thing to be honest, so knowing how this regime works..they will not burn him and cut his butt to save that sms cash.

That is what leads me to believe he will be re-signed/restructured going into 2020 based on a few things Oshea said. 

25 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Your opinion is just that, yours.  Other people may... wait for it... have different priorities than you do.  And here's the best part:  They can do them and you can do you.  So if Callaros wants to go home because it's home that's cool.  And if you decide not to go to the Argo's because you'd rather sign with the Bombers because of their O line, then just stay close to the phone this winter so you'll be ready when Walters calls!

That isn't even just opinion lol. Its actually basic human psychology that there are many factors that go in to any decision and it all depends how heavily you weigh each one. In my opinion playing for the Bombers is a better business decision.

4 minutes ago, Nickthesizz said:

Classic example of someone with insider knowledge coming on a fan forum acting like we're all idiots for using common sense. 

Not at all. It doesn’t matter what the details are. You’re acting like you know what is in somebody’s best interests without knowing anything about them. 

Personally, I would be quite happy if the Bombers signed ZC ASAP and sent Toronto the draft pick.     A first round draft pick has some value, but a Grey Cup winning QB is well worth it.

(Not saying I think it will happen, just that it would make me happy.)    Remember, he signed in Saskatchewan even though his wife had ties to Ontario, so I wouldn't rule it out.

4 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

Personally, I would be quite happy if the Bombers signed ZC ASAP and sent Toronto the draft pick.     A first round draft pick has some value, but a Grey Cup winning QB is well worth it.

(Not saying I think it will happen, just that it would make me happy.)    Remember, he signed in Saskatchewan even though his wife had ties to Ontario, so I wouldn't rule it out.

He signed in Regina after no one else would sign him. He was the last "starter" off the board, if I remember. It wasn't like they were eager to sign him in Regina either. 

11 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

Same.  Nothing against Matt, but I loved watching Zach throw.  He scrambles better and has a slightly stronger arm.

I’m not particularly interested in signing Collaros. Call him a Grey Cup champion all you want, he deserves it. He didn’t play great. Our D carried us, especially in the final game and Collaros honestly is lucky he escaped the playoffs without a turnover, because he easily could’ve thrown 4 or 5 picks if not for some bad mitts by some defensive backs.

Taking nothing away from him, but as a guy who isn’t a Nichols fan, Collaros didn’t do anything Nichols wouldn’t be able to do.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I’m not particularly interested in signing Collaros. Call him a Grey Cup champion all you want, he deserves it. He didn’t play great. Our D carried us, especially in the final game and Collaros honestly is lucky he escaped the playoffs without a turnover, because he easily could’ve thrown 4 or 5 picks if not for some bad mitts by some defensive backs.

Taking nothing away from him, but as a guy who isn’t a Nichols fan, Collaros didn’t do anything Nichols wouldn’t be able to do.

I'm a fan of both Collaros and Nichols, but I realize it isn't realistic to have both.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Disagree. Collaros showed a pocket presence. and a touch on his passes that Nichols had not shown. Yes, he made some errant passes, but considering how long he had to get to know his receivers and their tendencies in routes, he did darned well. Of, course, there are no guarantees as to where Collaros will sign, and it may come come down to good old fashioned money.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think Nichols and Collaros are pretty interchangeable.

I think the OC may influence who we are interested in (or may not).

Both have a history of  (Nichols has missed decent chunks of every year and came into the 2017 playoffs injured).

We have to sign Streveler. It would break my heart not to have him around 😂

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Saying that Collaros didn't do anything Nichols wouldn't is a classic case of looking at the stats sheet to compare them

Collaros's ability to use his legs to extend the play is a huge advantage over Nichols. Collaros also stretched the field much better than Nichols. I wouldn't be so quick to shortchange Collaros's impact. Not to mention the fact that his four games were against the 2nd ,3rd, and 4th best teams. 

11 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Disagree. Collaros showed a pocket presence. and a touch on his passes that Nichols had not shown. Yes, he made some errant passes, but considering how long he had to get to know his receivers and their tendencies in routes, he did darned well. Of, course, there are no guarantees as to where Collaros will sign, and it may come come down to good old fashioned money.

Look back on game highlight this year..Nichols hit many a deep shot on a dime..guy in stride and to the house...It just got to a point wher we went pretty much right away from doing much of it..as we didn't have to. Most games in the 7-2 stretch he was a part of were over by half-time..so we played conservatively..It bit us in the butt in a few games, but that happens with momentum in football..sometimes it's hard to get it back...Like Mike says..I bet with a healthy Nichols...The results would have been the same..Matt knows our offense inside and out and there are a lot of aspects of it he runs really smoothly...which we didn't do much of with Zack basically because he wasn't polished in it.

If we go into 2020 status quo at QB...we will be just fine...is it ideal....who knows but we will have 2 vets who are familiar with what we do..

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have to disagree somewhat, mainly because the passing game sucked for all the teams in those three playoff games.  Bomber DBs definitely dropped picks from both BLM and CoFaj.  I don't think they'll sign him and I don't think they necessarily need to, but I thought for a guy who was new to our system, he really didn't serve up all that many dangerous throws. 

IF Collaros's wife is pregnant , as being reported by another poster, then I'm sure we could accommodate her here, as she'll likely be taking a year off in any event...I believe her union contract allows for that if they're pregnant ....Zack and her could find a place here while he works out a deal with us and go from there...I guess it depends on how invested Zack's wife is invested in his career...also when there's a will there's a way....I think we sit down with Collaros and hammer something out and see how it fits...It's up to him where he wants to play, and I sure got the feeling he really fit in here right off the bat, and that he might like it here long term

I don't think that Nichols is going to be re-signed....Going by his injury history I just don't see it....Zack has one as well but I believe he's the better option

Edited by Stickem

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

The results would have been the same..Matt knows our offense inside and out and there are a lot of aspects of it he runs really smoothly...which we didn't do much of with Zack basically because he wasn't polished in it.

That's what I find problematic about the comparison - ZC had far less time in the QB room before he was starting games.