Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

And we would be livid if another team did that to us. 

Not much different than Durant f**king us over for a free payday.  Not technically against the rules, but a d-bag move nonetheless.

Glad you brought that up. Good example.... we held the door open for him, he walked through it. We should have worded our contract better. Bad move by Walters (at the time... really, let's be glad he left, we unearthed Streveler as a result). Durant is an ******* but he operated within the wording of that contract. TS for us.

55 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We could always draw up a contract that both parties are good with. Put the contract in a drawer....

Then let Zach "hit free agency" and sign him then. 

Boom- Zach and a first rounder...

All the above totally depends on the language in the agreement of the trade...

The condition is Collaros re-signing here, free agent or otherwise.  The only way the Bombers sign Collaros without coughing up the pick is to sign him after the draft.  Any sign and trade deal through another team would be void or result in the Bombers coughing up the pick.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Let's say Collaros doesn't want to go back to TO (he probably does, let's suspend reality for a sec), or decides he wants to stay here... are we not allowed to offer him a contract lest we risk being seen as underhanded? Makes very little sense to me.

I think you pay up if he re-signs with us regardless. 

Makes sense to me. 

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

And we'd only have ourselves to blame, is the point I'm making

You can justify a lot of questionable behaviour. 

I'd rather just pay up and not create enemies. You would be foolish to think all other teams would not think twice about similar deals in the future. 

We already maxed out our investment, we don't win a Cup without him.

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Glad you brought that up. Good example.... we held the door open for him, he walked through it. We should have worded our contract better. Bad move by Walters (at the time... really, let's be glad he left, we unearthed Streveler as a result). Durant is an ******* but he operated within the wording of that contract. TS for us.

Well it’s a signing bonus.  The bonus is paid at signing.  Could have made it more of a reporting bonus but still if a guy is a prick he just has to show up for first day of camp and then retire.

The league needs to work on standard wording in agreement to be able to claw back bonuses if players don’t fulfill their obligations under it.  The NFL sure claws back bonus money and fast.

IMHO, we need to sign MOS.   Far and away most important, more so than any one player, as much as I love them.    Long term stability at the top is what builds dynasties.   I want the Bombers to be a dynasty, not just a flash.     I'm a long term season ticket holder (since 1970), and I've seen the high's and lows over decades .   What I've seen for the last number of years is a competitive team that players want to come to.  Credit to Wade Miller, Kyle Walters and MOS for that.  When you build the right culture, the victories will come.

Just now, Jaxon said:

IMHO, we need to sign MOS.   Far and away most important, more so than any one player, as much as I love them.    Long term stability at the top is what builds dynasties.   I want the Bombers to be a dynasty, not just a flash.     I'm a long term season ticket holder (since 1970), and I've seen the high's and lows over decades .   What I've seen for the last number of years is a competitive team that players want to come to.  Credit to Wade Miller, Kyle Walters and MOS for that.  When you build the right culture, the victories will come.

Well Osh said he expects to finalize his new deal soon...and wants the notion he doesn't wanna be here put to bed...so that tells me he is back and it's just a matter of time until it announced

2 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

Totally agree- but from all accounts and interactions I have heard/seen between MOS and others... it sure looks a lot like he will be signed to a long term deal. 

Also, a huge part of that (IMO) is the fact Winnipeg is a Football town. We care about our Bombers and are crazy passionate about them- I feel that is an important reason MOS re-signs with us. I can't imagine him coaching in Toronto... 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

30 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Let's say Collaros doesn't want to go back to TO (he probably does, let's suspend reality for a sec), or decides he wants to stay here... are we not allowed to offer him a contract lest we risk being seen as underhanded? Makes very little sense to me.

I think Walters wants to continue to be viewed as a guy you can do deals with in the league.  Part of what brought Collaros here was Pinball thinking that Walters wasn't going to try and screw him over with shenanigans.

If the 1st round pick isn't tied to signing in free agency as well I think as long as Collaros is taking offers/negotiating with teams and then just decides to come back to Winnipeg it'd be fine... a day after he goes into free agency he signs a pre-written contract without taking offers from anyone else.... that would stink and would actively hurt Walters ability to negotiate with other GM's.

Short vs. Long term thinking essentially - ******* over Pinball might be a great way to get Collaros... but over the course of a couple years might make the team significantly worse than it would otherwise be.  Part of what brought Collaros here for us to get the cup was the reputation Walters has built as a GM to be trusted.

27 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Lapo leaves and Nichols stays..... who is the best OC at working with immobile QB's ?

You know that feeling you got when Collaros took the knee in victory formatuon at the end of the 107th Grey Cup game? Remember that feeling? 

You are killing that feeling with each post like this. 

Every single angst filled "Nichols sucks" post you have posted since the 107 GC, chips away at that celebratory feeling that we get to share with ALL Bomber fans... Feeling of connectivity with fans  between now and 29 years ago... 

All of that, you cheapen with every "Nichols is a ham n egger" equivalent comment that you make... take a break from the hate, revel in the ******* GREY CUP CHAMPIONS THAT IS US!!!!! At least give it a day for every year of the Drought. That is a small ask.

Surely, if I can let go of most of my hate of all things riders- you can let up on a Bomber.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

10 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You know that feeling you got when Collaros took the knee in victory formatuon at the end of the 107th Grey Cup game? Remember that feeling? 

You are killing that feeling with each post like this. 

Every single angst filled "Nichols sucks" post you have posted since the 107 GC, chips away at that celebratory feeling that we get to share with ALL Bomber fans... Feeling of connectivity with fans  between now and 29 years ago... 

All of that, you cheapen with every "Nichols is a ham n egger" equivalent comment that you make... take a break from the hate, revel in the ******* GREY CUP CHAMPIONS THAT IS US!!!!! At least give it a day for every year of the Drought. That is a small ask.

Surely, if I can let go of most of my hate of all things riders- you can let up on a Bomber.

Lol.....yer funny....... I was not the first to mention the mobility of Matty since the grey cup win.  I hope you responded to everyone like you did here.... 

41 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

If Lapo leaves and Nichols stays..... who is the best OC at working with immobile QB's ?

I’ve been on the buck pierce train for quite awhile.  But there are many good cfl offensive coaches in the league that need to be looked at as well. As I said today I like Maas as an OC but I would be careful and would pass it by the teams leadership on offence before I even interviewed him. If the players would revolt then the decision is an easy “no”. 

Buck is my first interview and then go from there. 

23 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

But seriously I think we need to take a good hard look at re-signing Zach. He seems like a good fit. He’s a much better quarterback than Matt Nichols and with Streveler coming in a lot and a great offensive line and running game Winnipeg might be the only team that can keep Zach healthy. 

If we don’t bring back Zach I think we need to go after Arbuckle.  I just don’t see the upside to Matt Nichols who has all the injury concerns you would get with Zach but without the top end ability that he has. 

Agreed ×2!!

Dan Barnes of the Toronto Sun was on CJME during Grey Cup week and stated that the first round compensation for Collaros is only in effect until the opening of FA. Once FA 2020 hits the deal is finalized. He said Pinball just wanted insurance for a chance to re-sign him.

Edited by GCn20