Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's pretty obvious that if MOS wants to stay here then he will. Collaros said all kinds of great things about O'Shea that he is a leader of men, etc. He knows what he has here but doesn't in Toronto so he may be willing to sign with the Bombers again. A sure thing vs the Unknown. 

Sure hope you're right, but I don't see it happening. Toronto will throw the kitchen sink at him and his wife is from Ontario. Plus he just won here, how could it get any better?

Any chance we can pull a fast one on Toronto and trade Zach’s early negotiating right Zach to Ottawa without having to give up the first round pick?  

But seriously I think we need to take a good hard look at re-signing Zach. He seems like a good fit. He’s a much better quarterback than Matt Nichols and with Streveler coming in a lot and a great offensive line and running game Winnipeg might be the only team that can keep Zach healthy. 

If we don’t bring back Zach I think we need to go after Arbuckle.  I just don’t see the upside to Matt Nichols who has all the injury concerns you would get with Zach but without the top end ability that he has. 

21 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

If we don’t bring back Zach I think we need to go after Arbuckle.  I just don’t see the upside to Matt Nichols who has all the injury concerns you would get with Zach but without the top end ability that he has. 

cause there's no risk with Arbuckle at all right?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's pretty obvious that if MOS wants to stay here then he will. Collaros said all kinds of great things about O'Shea that he is a leader of men, etc. He knows what he has here but doesn't in Toronto so he may be willing to sign with the Bombers again. A sure thing vs the Unknown. 

So I think MOS will stay here, but their is massive baggage with zach, injury, the 1st rounder with him. Zach won a cup he may chase the most money now.

If Matt is back...which I think he will be, we will be fine. Is it optimal?..well in my opinion in whats available yes I think so. Though he tends to seem immobile and throws it away at first sign of trouble, thats not 100 percent correct. I think that the last month or so the offence evolved into one that realized it can push and should push a ball...Matt can make deep throws...he has shown that and more liberal Streveler with Matt (which I know both would be open to if it results in what we just accomplished) can be just as effective as what Collaros and Strev did

With Zack...he has now brought himself back into the 550K+ or more neighborhood....but..and big but...I still believe he is at major risk to be one good Simoni away from being on the shelf again...even though he showed otherwise for us..we kept him clean, but you can't count on that all year, and to sign Atrev back as wel...which we should be he is gonna need close to 150-200k possibly incentive laden so we are looking at prob 750 to 800k for them.

We can prob get Matt coming off injury at 500k max..he doesn't garner more than that especially off injury and I think the day of the 700-800k QB was an anomally and teams saw how it can hinder you in the grand scheme..Hello BC

A Strev/Nichols combo would prob have us in a combined 650-700k total, that 50-100k surplus can go a long way to bumping up extensions for guys like Rose..Jefferson..Sayles..Bryant..

The Arbuckle love is rolling the dice..he was decent but not other worldly and still green...as was Dane Evans and look what happened when film was out on him to be studied for a big game, and he seen schemes that he wasn't familiar with, the pressure coming at him from all areas, not to mention the pressure of the big game...he wilted..crumpled...did not lead..he looked just like he was...a back-up inexperienced QB...Why do you think the Cat's have gone on record saying they want Masoli back??...

Look what experience and been there done that does in regards to Collaros...vet experience...seen it all before...limited time with the team and he went in and won...He got put on a good team..within a good system, wasn't asked to do it all himself (as shown by his stats) and won a Cup

Same can happen with Matt, as much as many hate on him, he was 7-2 when he got hurt (should have been 8-1 if not for that T.O collapse) so he can win...as shown by his record since Banjo Bowl 2016 when he took over

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Matt is back...which I think he will be, we will be fine. Is it optimal?..well in my opinion in whats available yes I think so. Though he tends to seem immobile and throws it away at first sign of trouble, thats not 100 percent correct. I think that the last month or so the offence evolved into one that realized it can push and should push a ball...Matt can make deep throws...he has shown that and more liberal Streveler with Matt (which I know both would be open to if it results in what we just accomplished) can be just as effective as what Collaros and Strev did

With Zack...he has now brought himself back into the 550K+ or more neighborhood....but..and big but...I still believe he is at major risk to be one good Simoni away from being on the shelf again...even though he showed otherwise for us..we kept him clean, but you can't count on that all year, and to sign Atrev back as wel...which we should be he is gonna need close to 150-200k possibly incentive laden so we are looking at prob 750 to 800k for them.

We can prob get Matt coming off injury at 500k max..he doesn't garner more than that especially off injury and I think the day of the 700-800k QB was an anomally and teams saw how it can hinder you in the grand scheme..Hello BC

A Strev/Nichols combo would prob have us in a combined 650-700k total, that 50-100k surplus can go a long way to bumping up extensions for guys like Rose..Jefferson..Sayles..Bryant..

The Arbuckle love is rolling the dice..he was decent but not other worldly and still green...as was Dane Evans and look what happened when film was out on him to be studied for a big game, and he seen schemes that he wasn't familiar with, the pressure coming at him from all areas, not to mention the pressure of the big game...he wilted..crumpled...did not lead..he looked just like he was...a back-up inexperienced QB...Why do you think the Cat's have gone on record saying they want Masoli back??...

Look what experience and been there done that does in regards to Collaros...vet experience...seen it all before...limited time with the team and he went in and won...He got put on a good team..within a good system, wasn't asked to do it all himself (as shown by his stats) and won a Cup

Same can happen with Matt, as much as many hate on him, he was 7-2 when he got hurt (should have been 8-1 if not for that T.O collapse) so he can win...as shown by his record since Banjo Bowl 2016 when he took over

$500k for A post surgery Matt Nichols seems high...  who else is actually looking for a QB?  Ottawa, Toronto and Winnipeg... that’s it - this is a buyers market 

Collaros, Strev, Nichols, Masoli, Arbuckle, Franklin, MBT, all possibly available whatever you think of them ...

no sense paying almost $500k for a game manager

if you really look at it, the best match with Buck and Strev is probably Masoli...

Edited by Floyd

It's interesting how Collaros comes in and after 3 weeks with the team and takes the reigns of the offence and executes it masterfully. No other QB on the Bombers executed Lapo's offence like Collaros did. 

I'm a huge Matt Nichols fan but watching Collaros over the last few games showed me that the offence under Matt Nichols was probably running at 70% efficiency. Then Collaros comes in and we finally see the offence running at close to 90%.  

Will Collaros be back?  I highly doubt it.  So who gives us the best chance to win right now?  Probably Matt Nichols but it's also incumbent upon the OC (be it Lapo or someone else) to design an offence that works with Nichols strengths but more importantly his weaknesses. 

Edited by B-F-F-C

11 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Any chance we can pull a fast one on Toronto and trade Zach’s early negotiating right Zach to Ottawa without having to give up the first round pick?  

But seriously I think we need to take a good hard look at re-signing Zach. He seems like a good fit. He’s a much better quarterback than Matt Nichols and with Streveler coming in a lot and a great offensive line and running game Winnipeg might be the only team that can keep Zach healthy. 

I honestly don't think the first rounder is an issue. The real issue is that it looks to be quite clear that Collaros isn't interested in coming back next season. 

Arbuckle?   Not sold on him at all and to sign him as the #1 would be a huge risk. 

15 minutes ago, Floyd said:

$500k for A post surgery Matt Nichols seems high...  who else is actually looking for a QB?  Ottawa, Toronto and Winnipeg... that’s it - this is a buyers market 

Collaros, Strev, Nichols, Masoli, Arbuckle, Franklin, MBT, all possibly available whatever you think of them ...

no sense paying almost $500k for a game manager

if you really look at it, the best match with Buck and Strev is probably Masoli...

I was shooting at what would prob be the high mark...he will get a bump from last year from his what?..450k??...but I could see him too not holding out for huge money, he knows coming off injury he can't really

15 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

It's interesting how Collaros comes in and after 3 weeks with the team and takes the reigns of the offence and executes it masterfully. No other QB on the Bombers executed Lapo's offence like Collaros did. 

I'm a huge Matt Nichols fan but watching Collaros over the last few games showed me that the offence under Matt Nichols was probably running at 70% efficiency. Then Collaros comes in and we finally see the offence running at close to 90%.  

Will Collaros be back?  I highly doubt it.  So who gives us the best chance to win right now?  Probably Matt Nichols but it's also incumbent upon the OC (be it Lapo or someone else) to design an offence that works with Nichols strengths but more importantly his weaknesses. 

Nichol's executed it just as well...high efficiency just not as many deep shots as Collaros....but both were able to do this because they were Vet's with tons of experience in the CFL and can decipher things immediately and know all the looks pre-snap and how to attack...or not attack.

Streveler will get there...it takes time...he's in his 3rd yr next year, so it's his do or die season in showing he is gonna be legit...all legit starters plodded along pretty indiscreetly for 2..3..4..years before they became legit..Strev has seen..done..and accomplished a lot in his first 2 years moreso than most...he also has the respect and dedication to him from his teamates..which is huge and goes a long way

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I was shooting at what would prob be the high mark...he will get a bump from last year from his what?..450k??...but I could see him too not holding out for huge money, he knows coming off injury he can't really

Nichol's executed it just as well...high efficiency just not as many deep shots as Collaros....but both were able to do this because they were Vet's with tons of experience in the CFL and can decipher things immediately and know all the looks pre-snap and how to attack...or not attack.

Streveler will get there...it takes time...he's in his 3rd yr next year, so it's his do or die season in showing he is gonna be legit...all legit starters plodded along pretty indiscreetly for 2..3..4..years before they became legit..Strev has seen..done..and accomplished a lot in his first 2 years moreso than most...he also has the respect and dedication to him from his teamates..which is huge and goes a long way

Booch I usually don't disagree with you but this time I must.  All you have to do is look at 2nd down conversions for both QB's.  I don't have stats but it sure looked to me Collaros had more success which obviously extended drives.  He was also able to escape pressure and make plays where Nichols would often be sacked or throw the ball away.  

Two different QB's but I believe strongly that Collaros was significantly more effective.    

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd pass on Nichols at 450K let alone 500K. Collaros not only took the deep shots, he completed the deep shots. That was the difference in our offence and all on Collaros.

But if he has no intention of not signing here but in T.O then he's out of the question

Arbuckle is not the answer and a huge risk...he's a second year QB with minimal experience...So Matt may be the best choice as we season Strev...

If I have to chose: 

I would go with Arbuckle / Strev combo (for some reason) 

I'd like Collaros / Strev next (but I dont think Walters will give up his 2020 1st rounder)

if those 2 options will not be available, Nichols / Strev it is (with Nichols a little less on the $, and Strev get some pay raise)

1 minute ago, J5V said:

So, for a guy that can't read a defense, or throw a football because of his terrible mechanics, how did you like Streveler's pin-point-accurate pass to Andrew Harris for the TD? Not too bad for a crappy QB eh?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.  Huge difference in how the defence plays Streveler when he's the #1 vs. the #2 who comes in occasionally to run the ball or hand it off. 

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

Booch I usually don't disagree with you but this time I must.  All you have to do is look at 2nd down conversions for both QB's.  I don't have stats but it sure looked to me Collaros had more success which obviously extended drives.  He was also able to escape pressure and make plays where Nichols would often be sacked or throw the ball away.  

Two different QB's but I believe strongly that Collaros was significantly more effective.    

Hey..I agree....with Collaros running things there was a real sense of we got this on second downs and not a lot of stress/worrying...was it Lapo changing things a bit..was it Nichols limitations, or mental headspace in not wanting to take a risk, or make an error...who knows...Maybe now seeing what Zack did, and the fact that Lapo can take the reigns off he will sling it more...he does have arm for it

Thing is though..we may not even be able to get the option to sign Zack, he may not give it to us and I wouldn't even be shocked if he has a verbal with T.O already

So much gonna go on in the next 2-3 months will be interesting to say the least

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

But if he has no intention of not signing here but in T.O then he's out of the question

Arbuckle is not the answer and a huge risk...he's a second year QB with minimal experience...So Matt may be the best choice as we season Strev...

That doesn't change the fact that Nichols, especially coming off of a throwing shoulder injury, isn't worth $450-500K.

All the QB's are huge risks for different reasons. Masoli because he's coming off of an injury and because he's only looked great in one offence and that's not the offence we currently run. Collaros for his concussion history. Nichols for his injury history, lack of pocket presence, and the fact that he'd rather play it safe than throw a possible pick.

I'd got Arbuckle/Streveler but I'd bet the Bombers go Nichols/Streveler and overpay Nichols.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

That doesn't change the fact that Nichols, especially coming off of a throwing shoulder injury, isn't worth $450-500K.

All the QB's are huge risks for different reasons. Masoli because he's coming off of an injury and because he's only looked great in one offence and that's not the offence we currently run. Collaros for his concussion history. Nichols for his injury history, lack of pocket presence, and the fact that he'd rather play it safe than throw a possible pick.

I'd got Arbuckle/Streveler but I'd bet the Bombers go Nichols/Streveler and overpay Nichols.

well if he is willing to sign for even less...all the better..helps us all over the roster in that case...sure gonna be interesting

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

What this season has proved is you can win if you spend you money on something other than QB. Put the money in the lines and have a QB that does not turn the ball over and you win a lot of games.

It wins games but it would not have won playoff games.  It allows teams hang around and always have a chance to mount a comeback.  Unless you have a performance where the D will not be denied, such as in the Grey Cup.