2019 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

JCon

This is great news. I can't say it enough but the original agreement with Triple B and the UofM, the City and the Prov was a MESS. Absolutely, a mess. There was ZERO discussion of ongoing maintenance and repairs. The Province was the only one on the hook but there were no funds put aside. 

If the City agrees and they have no obligation to do so, this will be a big step forward. 

$10 million will not be enough to maintain the facility. Even in the first few years, there were many upgrades (mostly from deficiencies in the design and construction) that needed to be addressed. 

Edited by JCon

Just now, Rich said:

I wonder if this is a creative way to get the club some money to bridge them through a lost season + without the political back lash that came up when there was discussions about subsidizing the CFL last summer.

Could be. But, this situation has been brewing for many years and this was the only logical outcome. I think we were headed there anyway but since the gov't is bleeding money, now's not a bad time to solve an ongoing problem and bury it among other news. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is the fallout a decade later of Leonard Asper bailing at the 11th hour after he had proposed to help finance the stadium. The Bombers couldn't have been expected to carry such a heavy load. 

No, no, this isn't. This is the fallout of a govt that lacked ideas and lacked leadership at the end. They were so desperate to get a stadium built, they did it without a plan and without analysis. They got it built, thankfully, but left a huge mess. 

I lived it. It was a shitshow. 

5 hours ago, JCon said:

No, no, this isn't. This is the fallout of a govt that lacked ideas and lacked leadership at the end. They were so desperate to get a stadium built, they did it without a plan and without analysis. They got it built, thankfully, but left a huge mess. 

I lived it. It was a shitshow. 

But Asper was going to finance the stadium by selling property he had near the stadium & couldn't do it so he bailed leaving everyone in the lurch. At least that is how I remember it. That's when that disastrous financing plan was developed.

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

David Asper..... And if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have IGF. 

Yeah, David. Sorry.

On 2021-05-16 at 12:40 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

But Asper was going to finance the stadium by selling property he had near the stadium & couldn't do it so he bailed leaving everyone in the lurch. At least that is how I remember it. That's when that disastrous financing plan was developed.

Yeah, David. Sorry.

I remember everyone getting pissed that the Bombers wouldn't be community owned.

Edited by bryan35

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

I thought the bigger issue wasn't that they wouldn't be community owned, but that Asper was going to basically take over ownership and almost no cost to himself.

Yes, but help build a stadium. Basically take on the ownership and fund part of the stadium. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell ya, that entire weekend in Calgary was something special. I'm a big believer in "Everything happens for a reason..." and while there are a lot of days where I scratch my head wondering how the hell I ended up living and working in west central Alberta, that weekend was like "Ohhhh....this is why I'm here...." I'll never forget that weekend as long as I live.

On 2021-06-04 at 3:59 PM, Noeller said:

I'll tell ya, that entire weekend in Calgary was something special. I'm a big believer in "Everything happens for a reason..." and while there are a lot of days where I scratch my head wondering how the hell I ended up living and working in west central Alberta, that weekend was like "Ohhhh....this is why I'm here...." I'll never forget that weekend as long as I live.

Besides the politics, Alberta is a nice place to live. Whenever I drive west of Calgary along the eastern slopes of the Rockies, I half expect Clint Eastwood, John Wayne or the Cartwrights to ride out of the distance.

Cattle drive on a road with the eastern slopes of the Alberta Rockies in the background.

On 2021-06-05 at 11:18 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Besides the politics, Alberta is a nice place to live. Whenever I drive west of Calgary along the eastern slopes of the Rockies, I half expect Clint Eastwood, John Wayne or the Cartwrights to ride out of the distance.

Cattle drive on a road with the eastern slopes of the Alberta Rockies in the background.

Clint Eastwood turned 90 on the weekend. Safe to say, the only riding he's gonna be doing is on his Laz-Y-Boy.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

Clint Eastwood turned 90 on the weekend. Safe to say, the only riding he's gonna be doing is on his Laz-Y-Boy.

That Laz YBoy is his horse. His gun is a .44 Magnum. ;) "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or 5? Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement, I kinda lost track myself. But this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky??' Well, do ya punk?" Ha, ha. I always loved Clint Eastwood. At 45 or 90.

Dirty Harry - Do you feel lucky? well... do ya punk?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That Laz YBoy is his horse. His gun is a .44 Magnum. ;) "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or 5? Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement, I kinda lost track myself. But this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question. 'Do I feel lucky??' Well, do ya punk?" Ha, ha. I always loved Clint Eastwood. At 45 or 90.

Dirty Harry - Do you feel lucky? well... do ya punk?

Did you enjoy his one-man show talking to an empty chair at the Republican convention that elected Trump?