2019 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

JCon

43 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

https://globalnews.ca/video/6245010/we-are-the-champions-winnipeg-celebrates-bombers-grey-cup-win/

I hope, if Bud Grant is capable of traveling, that they bring him out for the first game this year with the Cup.  That would mean a lot to the long-term Bomber fans who gutted it out those 29 long years.  Just a thought.

I would love a chance to meet the man himself. His autobiography is my favourite sports related book and one of my all time favourite reads.

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

When the Vikings opened their new stadium a few years ago, Bud Grant was the first guy to blow the new horn.  The Vikings honor their past, and the Blue should honor theirs too.

He's been immortalized in bronze, but you want more???

141023-_statue_01.jpg

Maybe they can bring back Kenny....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8_9GgM2tGABh7cXZxctx

.... to see if he can still play both ways.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Until this year's championship win, those banners would have served as little more than a reminder of our seemingly endless drought. Now that we have a new banner... let's start hanging some fabric

I assumed that was always the logic of it. 

I hope they give it proper due now.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He's been immortalized in bronze, but you want more???

Just asking the question if he can appear one last time in Winnipeg before he shuffles off this mortal coil, to appear with the Cup.  If Cal were still alive, I'd be more focused on bringing him in for a ceremony with the Cup, but he's not. Maybe I'm just a nostalgia guy, I don't know. What I didn't realize was that it would cause this weird backlash.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000705305/Hall-of-Fame-coach-Bud-Grant-blows-horn-at-Vikings-new-stadium

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2019-12-07 at 11:37 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

1939-blue-bombers-billl-boivin1.jpg

1939 Grey Cup Champs.

With the score tied 7-7 Jeff Nicklin recovered a fumbled punt for the Bombers at the Ottawa 34 to change field position. A subsequent Bombers punt into the end zone was kicked out by the Rough Riders, but shanked out of bounds only to their eight-yard line. And with 45 seconds remaining, Winnipeg’s Art Stevenson crushed a kick into the stands for a single and an 8-7 victory.

Guy was also a war hero, and the trophy for MVP for the Western Conference is named after him (Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy):

https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/11/11/lest-we-forget-the-jeff-nicklin-story/

It's a shame Fajardo won it this year - would've been a nice tribute if a Blue Bomber (Harris?) would've won it to go along with the Grey Cup.

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Guy was also a war hero, and the trophy for MVP for the Western Conference is named after him (Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy):

https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/11/11/lest-we-forget-the-jeff-nicklin-story/

It's a shame Fajardo won it this year - would've been a nice tribute if a Blue Bomber (Harris?) would've won it to go along with the Grey Cup.

I think I've posted this before, but looking back now, that parachute jump seems totally unnecessary.  The Germans were already beat by that point in the war and were only a few weeks from surrendering completely.  Senseless waste of human life to do parachute jumps with high casualty rates, with an enemy on the verge of giving up anyway.  That's really a sad story.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think I've posted this before, but looking back now, that parachute jump seems totally unnecessary.  The Germans were already beat by that point in the war and were only a few weeks from surrendering completely.  Senseless waste of human life to do parachute jumps with high casualty rates, with an enemy on the verge of giving up anyway.  That's really a sad story.

1140-grumpy-old-men.jpg

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It's easy to look back on this with hindsight and see things that way, fact of the matter was that Hitler was hellbent on causing as much destruction as possible, even in retreat. Their K2 missiles were still within range of many allied civilian cities, and Britain as a whole. I agree a parachute jump seems the wrong approach now, air superiority by the Allies at that point made such parachute deployments possible.

Hitler always seemed crazy but at that point in the war had completely lost his mind, sacking the few generals he had left, and implementing a blanket "no retreat" policy for all German defensive positions made it very tough going advancing troops along the ground.

30 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

It's easy to look back on this with hindsight and see things that way, fact of the matter was that Hitler was hellbent on causing as much destruction as possible, even in retreat. Their K2 missiles were still within range of many allied civilian cities, and Britain as a whole. I agree a parachute jump seems the wrong approach now, air superiority by the Allies at that point made such parachute deployments possible.

Hitler always seemed crazy but at that point in the war had completely lost his mind, sacking the few generals he had left, and implementing a blanket "no retreat" policy for all German defensive positions made it very tough going advancing troops along the ground.

At that point in the war, was in the grip of amphetamine psychosis and totally irrational. Any general or advisor who dared suggest a surrender was shot or dismissed (if they were lucky). 

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Who won the war anyways? The Germans started it. They invaded Poland. 

Edited by Rod Black