2019 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

JCon

JDnTYaNp_bigger.jpg

On this day December 7, 1935, The Grey Cup came West for the first time as the Winnipegs defeated the Hamilton Tigers 18-12. Now mostly forgotten by time the Winnipegs win was considered one of the great moments in the history of Canadian Sports

Simoni is a punk..if you caught it on the cfl wired he grabbed Darvins towel and tossed it and Darvin gave him a little shove and he acted like he got cold cocked and flailed away hoping for a call..which he never got..maybe if he concentrated on being a leader and played some ball they may have not got manhandled..ol Darvin was under the skin of several Cats and had them right off their game..

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Simoni is a punk..if you caught it on the cfl wired he grabbed Darvins towel and tossed it and Darvin gave him a little shove and he acted like he got cold cocked and flailed away hoping for a call..which he never got..maybe if he concentrated on being a leader and played some ball they may have not got manhandled..ol Darvin was under the skin of several Cats and had them right off their game..

Darvin looking around the field at the end of the game: "where's my dog?"

10 hours ago, Geebrr said:

JDnTYaNp_bigger.jpg

On this day December 7, 1935, The Grey Cup came West for the first time as the Winnipegs defeated the Hamilton Tigers 18-12. Now mostly forgotten by time the Winnipegs win was considered one of the great moments in the history of Canadian Sports

Although American players had been recruited by teams before, Winnipeg was the first to import a large contingent. These hirings were controversial and eventually led to present-day rules governing player imports.

As a result of their bold manoeuvre, the ‘Pegs became the first western team to win the Grey Cup. The 1935 championship game was played in Hamilton against the Hamilton Tigers, with the ‘Pegs victorious 18–12. Fritz Hanson was the star of the game, especially on kick returns, setting a record with 300 punt-return yards. Quarterback Russ Rebholz also threw two touchdown passes. The 1935 Grey Cup game was also the first to be broadcast nationally on radio.

https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winnipeg-blue-bombers

1939-blue-bombers-billl-boivin1.jpg

1939 Grey Cup Champs.

The Bombers were dealing with the emotional hangovers from Grey Cup losses to the Toronto Argonauts in 1937 and 1938 when they advanced to the 1939 championship by winning a two-game total-point West final over the Calgary Bronks.

Ottawa, playing in front of a home crowd, was heavily favoured heading into the game having out-scored their opposition 207-51 in 12 games prior to the Grey Cup. Conditions were far from perfect and the field was rock hard. In an attempt to soften the turf, organizers poured 400 gallons of gasoline on the field and let it ablaze the day before the game. But freezing conditions overnight didn’t help those efforts.

Ottawa opened the scoring, but the Bombers countered after recovering a fumble deep in Rough Rider territory, with Andy Bieber waltzing in for a seven-yard TD. The game’s scoring then came from singles on missed field goals. With the score tied 7-7 Jeff Nicklin recovered a fumbled punt for the Bombers at the Ottawa 34 to change field position. A subsequent Bombers punt into the end zone was kicked out by the Rough Riders, but shanked out of bounds only to their eight-yard line. And with 45 seconds remaining, Winnipeg’s Art Stevenson crushed a kick into the stands for a single and an 8-7 victory. Fritz Hanson, who played a critical role in the Bombers first Grey Cup win, was again superb in his punt returns and finishing with 126 yards rushing.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I had seen that and was glad to read that. Bob's a pro, and like he said, he gets it. The only thing I could actually see being true, is the Bombers being pissed off at Darrin Bauming and refusing to speak to him. I fully expect that to eventually blow over, tho, as everyone has a job to do... 

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I had seen that and was glad to read that. Bob's a pro, and like he said, he gets it. The only thing I could actually see being true, is the Bombers being pissed off at Darrin Bauming and refusing to speak to him. I fully expect that to eventually blow over, tho, as everyone has a job to do... 

I think the Bauming thing is already done (and was blown out of proportion). 

Someone asked him on Twitter if there was any truth to the rumors that he was being blacklisted by the players and he just laughed and say no.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6245010/we-are-the-champions-winnipeg-celebrates-bombers-grey-cup-win/

I hope, if Bud Grant is capable of traveling, that they bring him out for the first game this year with the Cup.  That would mean a lot to the long-term Bomber fans who gutted it out those 29 long years.  Just a thought.

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

https://globalnews.ca/video/6245010/we-are-the-champions-winnipeg-celebrates-bombers-grey-cup-win/

I hope, if Bud Grant is capable of traveling, that they bring him out for the first game this year with the Cup.  That would mean a lot to the long-term Bomber fans who gutted it out those 29 long years.  Just a thought.

I'd love if we would stop continuously looking backwards at our history and start focusing on the future,  Bug Grant, Milt Stegall, Charles Roberts, or whomever have nothing whatsoever to do with the 2019 Bombers.  Their time was then, and they got their due.

Edited by WBBFanWest

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

We've got his statue to remember him by, Bud won't be coming back.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not sure if everyone saw this....still makes my blood boil...

But who do we trust?... some guy in Edmonton that no one has ever heard of... or one of the most respected broadcasters in CFL history...hmmm this one is a real thinker...

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'd love if we would stop continuously looking backwards at our history and start focusing on the future,  Bug Grant, Milt Stegall, Charles Roberts, or whomever have nothing whatsoever to do with the 2019 Bombers.  Their time was then, and they got their due.

When the Vikings opened their new stadium a few years ago, Bud Grant was the first guy to blow the new horn.  The Vikings honor their past, and the Blue should honor theirs too.