3 stars plus hh 2019 grey cup champions

wbbfan

7 hours ago, Booch said:

He's fast..former track star in college..remember he chased Burnham down too this year from behind to save a touchdown..

Was he actually a track guy? He is certainly that type of athlete, and the prototype of what we look for at Wil. He has tremendous athletic ability and motor. He gets in on the back end of a lot of defensive plays. He had a really impressive run down from behind tackle on some one fast in calgary iirc too.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/5/10/11644816/2016-oakland-raiders-udfa-profile-fresno-state-lb-kyrie-wilson-hopes-elite-athleticism-sets-apart

One thing that jumps out about Wilson are his measurables. Amongst linebackers that participated in the combine, Wilson would have ranked 5th in the 40-yard dash, 3rd in the bench press, 1st in the vertical jump, 6th in the broad jump and 3rd in the three-cone drill.

Wilson has insane top end speed, banks has killer acceleration/quicks and really good top end speed. Guys with top end speed will make plays that surprise you. My personal favorite of all time is 325lbs OL larry allen for the cowboys running down a Lber from behind.

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Lapo called a great game in the Grey Cup... only real critique is that Demski gadget play

I wouldnt say 7 field goal attempts with many from deep in enemy territory is a great game. The streveler package was used too much and to too little direct effect. We took our own offense out of sync some times keeping him in too long. We had  6 drives of 4 plays or fewer, Failed to score tds starting from the hamilton 50, 50,41, and 24. With medlock thats starting in FG range and ending in FG range. 

With how well collaros tosses the deep ball and how well our wrs played we shouldve been stretching the field more too. Harris had a monster game, but had 18 carries. If a guys averaging 7 and a half yards a carry / touch, FEED HIM.  

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I wouldnt say 7 field goal attempts with many from deep in enemy territory is a great game. The streveler package was used too much and to too little direct effect. We took our own offense out of sync some times keeping him in too long. We had  6 drives of 4 plays or fewer, Failed to score tds starting from the hamilton 50, 50,41, and 24. With medlock thats starting in FG range and ending in FG range. 

With how well collaros tosses the deep ball and how well our wrs played we shouldve been stretching the field more too. Harris had a monster game, but had 18 carries. If a guys averaging 7 and a half yards a carry / touch, FEED HIM.  

You know, if you have to make up phony stats to make your point, then the real point is that you just have a hate on for the coach and won't admit when you are incorrect. I started the apology thread because for too long LaPo has been the scapegoat for a lot of Bomber woes that go well beyond him. Like Richie Hall (whose "bend but don't break" defense I was not a fan of, but he has forgotten more about defensive coaching then I will ever know, so who am I to judge? And once the personnel issues got fixed in the back end and he trusted his players to execute a man defensive coverage system, look how well it played out in the playoffs).  So, to counter your "facts":

We scored on 9 of 11 drives at one point in the game, including every subsequent drive in response to every Ticat scoring drive. In the 4th quarter when everyone complains that he goes conservative, LaPo's offence took the ball with 12 and a half minutes left and put together a 10 play drive that killed 6 and a half minutes off the clock and but for a 50/50 call by the command centre, ended with a TD pass to Bailey. But even still that FG got us up by 3 scores and put the final nail in the coffin for all intents and purposes.

As for your stats, of the 6 drives of 4 plays or fewer, half of those came in the first quarter until the offence found it's legs, so he made adjustments it would seem. Two of those 4 play or less drives ended in TDs, so not good enough for you that we scored quickly? And the last one was the O'Shea mercy run at the end of the game to give Hamilton their only turnover. I assume you aren't counting the kneel downs as a short 4 play or less drive as well. As for the drive starts, we DID in fact score a TD on a drive that started at the Hamilton 50. The other drive that we started at the Hamilton 50 was in the last 3 minutes when we were up 33-12 and O'Shea wanted to kill the clock, so he ran 3 running plays rather than push for a first down passing or try a "rub it in" FG, so I'll forgive LaPo for not being a jerk and running up the score. The Hamilton 24 starting point was late in the 4th when again they were killing the clock and kicked the FG that made it 33-12. We never started a drive at the Hamilton 41.

As for the FGs "deep" in enemy territory, Medlock's FG attempts were from 48 (miss), 45, 17 (right at the end of the first half), 39, 41, 17 (after the called back TD), and 18 (after the fumble recovery by Jeffcoat). Save for the last FG where we started at the Hamilton 24, the average drive start for the Bombers on Medlock's FGs was the Winnipeg 35 yard line, and no drive started beyond the Winnipeg 44.

LaPo is not perfect, and his offence does not light it up. That is by design. He says "the ball is the Cup - protect the ball and you win the Cup" He took a QB with some limited mobility and above average game smarts and made him a very efficient high percentage QB who won games most of the time. He took a 2nd yr QB out of Division 2 who had raw running skills but questionable accuracy and used that skill set to create an offensive weapon that no other team has. He took a QB with more escapability but an injury history and opened up a deep passing game again. 3 QBs, 3 different skill sets, and 3 times he made the offence work around them in one season. He was given a powerful o-line and run game and built on those players who were his best players, and mixed in a pass game with decent but no superstar receivers. And he delivered the #1 scoring offence 3 years in a row prior to this. And he won the Grey Cup for the second time.

Oh yeah, just in case anyone forgot he's also a decent human being, he and his family also made this their home, and he quietly did all this after losing his mother this year.

So excuse me for asking people to maybe get off his back and cut him some slack instead of asking for his head on a platter after every loss, and even after a few wins (which the team has done a lot more of than losing these past 4 years). He made big adjustments at the half in Calgary, and we rolled to a win. Saskatchewan keyed against the run all game, so he and Collaros worked the deep ball to counter it, and we won. And his team protected the ball, dominated the line, and worked in 8 receivers (including a QB!) so no one guy could get keyed on in the Grey Cup. So forget the apologies if you aren't big enough to eat crow when you say he is predictable or never changes or changes too much when things are going well, but how about a thank you? Coaches and players on other teams seem to hold him in pretty high regard, maybe we could acknowledge that a bit instead of "knowing" how bad he is.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I finally got a chance to watch a broadcast of it last night on ESPN CC and I didn't realize (while at the game) how good a game Mike Jones had. Jeepers that was something. If not for Harris, he was easily the MVP... 

He was a monster.

I honestly felt ridiculous, because I'm going:

"Damn, WJ had a giant game...but so did JJ, but damn so did Nevis...****, look at Basically every guy on the field making plays"

And you have Harris going off, the OL beating the piss outta Hamilton, receivers making contested catches and huge blocks down field, and our QBs running and passing moving the chains.

Then Medlock hitting a gaggle of 3s, our coverage team decleating returners, and Grant/Taylor getting solid returns.

The most complete 3 phase win that I can remember.

It was beautiful

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that entire defense balled out hard....it was ridiculous. Like the Swaggerville defense but with less ego.

I don't know... I would put their play-off run defense considerably higher than the swaggerville one... 

2tds.

How many goal line and 3rd and 1 stops?

They neutered 2 top performing high powered offenses...

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't know... I would put their play-off run defense considerably higher than the swaggerville one... 

2tds.

How many goal line and 3rd and 1 stops?

They neutered 2 top performing high powered offenses...

Yeah and to think about how worried I was that it would be the defense that would collapse but no way, they were rock solid out there. I mean really phenominal. 

NEP6679287.jpg

20 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Is there a single Blue Bomber that had a bad game on Sunday?  I've watched twice and never swore at anyone.

It's amazing how everyone stepped it up when it counted... Many of us, myself included, were concerned about Bighill having stepped back a slight bit this year... suddenly when the games started to matter... old Bighill was back in full form...

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

It's amazing how everyone stepped it up when it counted... Many of us, myself included, were concerned about Bighill having stepped back a slight bit this year... suddenly when the games started to matter... old Bighill was back in full form...

i think he was banged up first 3/4 of season